MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-26-2009 at 11:07 PM   #1
DumbEngKid

Liked: 0 Times

Sos - Eng1
Hey. I'm a first year eng, who clearly wants to rename nameless.
I'm in a situation. More than a situation. I need all the help you can possibly give me, advice or otherwise on how to rectify my situation.
Flat out, I failed Math and Chem. (Hence the username.)
I'm quite sure I can't take my 1ZZ5, and I'm not sure if the 1E03 chem I failed is a prereq for anything 2nd semester.
I'd just like to know what I CAN do about it at this point. I realize I have to drop 1ZZ5. Maybe I can take 1Z04 (the failed one) night school? anything?
Desperate for help. All will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

~Hopelessly Dumb Kid.
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:17 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbEngKid View Post
I'm in a situation. More than a situation. I need all the help you can possibly give me, advice or otherwise on how to rectify my situation.
I'm quite sure I can't take my 1ZZ5, and I'm not sure if the 1E03 chem I failed is a prereq for anything 2nd semester.
I'd just like to know what I CAN do about it at this point. I realize I have to drop 1ZZ5. Maybe I can take 1Z04 (the failed one) night school? anything?

~Hopelessly Dumb Kid.
Sadly there is no Math 1Z04 in second term. Hopefully it'll be offered in summer school and you'll be able to take it then.
As for Chem 1E03, if you want to know if your courses are prerequisites you can search it up in the course calendar: Course Calendar
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:24 AM   #3
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

There's a topic that as of now, is right under yours about the same thing. =\

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2548 9

But to sum it up, depending on how you failed 1Z04, you may be able to get permission to take 1ZZ5. So if you had a decent mark going into the exam, but the exam brought you down to a fail, that might prove you know what you're doing. But if you were failing going into the exam, and failed coming out of it, then you probably won't.

Chem 1E03 isn't a prereq for anything in term 2 of first year, so there's nothing to worry about on that front. It is a prereq for Chem 1AA3 though, which Materials and Chem Eng students take, but that's thinking a little ahead.

I know that being self-deprecating won't help anything though, so don't beat yourself over it. There are plenty of others in your situation, or even worse.

The Maths are offered in summer school, so you can always take them then.

I think the biggest thing you have to worry about is your average: two 0s on your transcript will bring it down quite a bit, so be sure to put a lot of effort into the courses you have left, because you'll be given the "gtfo of Engineering" if it drops below a 4.0, and a "gtfo of Mac (for a year)" if it drops below 3.5. But pull off some decent marks in the other courses you have (electives should be easy, right?) and that won't be a problem.
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:53 AM   #4
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Wait till you see third year, if you ever get the chance :p
Old 12-27-2009 at 11:21 AM   #5
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Well, if you are struggling in Engineering, you could think of B.Tech. I live with a couple of B.Tech kids and their program seems to be easier than Eng. Plus, their classes have like 30 people, so you get more of a high school feeling.

You could go here to find out more about it: http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/schools/...rtnership.html

Other than that, summa school is probably your best option, and of course do well in the courses next term. My suggestion start looking at the material for next sem during this break, I do it, and it helps a lot.
Old 12-27-2009 at 01:07 PM   #6
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Well, if you are struggling in Engineering, you could think of B.Tech. I live with a couple of B.Tech kids and their program seems to be easier than Eng. Plus, their classes have like 30 people, so you get more of a high school feeling.

You could go here to find out more about it: http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/schools/...rtnership.html

Other than that, summa school is probably your best option, and of course do well in the courses next term. My suggestion start looking at the material for next sem during this break, I do it, and it helps a lot.
I was in a similar situation last year having failed Math 1Z04. When I went to talk with Ms. Williams I brought up the B.Tech program and and told her I was interested in switching to that program but she told me thats what most people tend to lean towards thinking its easier but she warned me it isn't, just more hands on stuff.

To the OP I suggest if you are struggling with the math/chem leave it for summer school. I failed it but pulled off an 11 in the summer since I had no other classes to worry about. Also I actually worked through ALL the practise problems/sample tests . One other thing I want to add is that after I took the math in the summer I actually enjoyed it. Instead of just cramming stuff in your head you can take the time to work through problems at a reasonable pace and actually appreciate the material. Well thats what I found anyways.

Anyways its not the end of the world. Keep on going through doing your best. Things will work out! Good luck with second semester!

Last edited by Ender : 12-27-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2009 at 04:48 PM   #7
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbEngKid View Post

~Hopelessly Dumb Kid.

You're not dumb. A lot of people who almost fail first year, go on to do phenomenally well in their upper years because courses tend to have more bearing on things you're actually interested in, as opposed to testing how well you can cram vast amounts of knowledge into your head in a short time span.

Calm down.

There's another thread on MacInsiders about taking math 1ZZ5 even if you've failed 1Z04, check it out. I think the general idea is that if you were doing reasonably well before the exam you amy be able to convice the department that you can still do well in 1ZZ5, and take 1Z04 in the summer/online.
Chem 1E03 is not a pre req for anything in second semester and as far as I can tell, you'll never use any of the material again in upper years (I know I definitely haven't)

Finally, work your butt off, in the coming semester, because there are only so many classes you can take in the summer and academic probabtion is not fun. If you think first year once is bad, imagine having to do all this crap AGAIN.