MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Juve General Discussion 36 10-12-2010 07:08 PM
Metro @ University Plaza MAY be closed Feb 8 2010 michelle MacInsiders Announcements 5 02-07-2010 11:52 AM
CS 1.6 vs Source [fixed poll] kevinf Gaming 15 01-11-2010 07:36 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM

The Source at University Plaza

Old 03-23-2010 at 11:34 PM   #1
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

The Source at University Plaza
Has anyone ever been conned into paying much higher than list prices on products at the source at university plaza?

this seems to happen to me consistently...

i picked out a camera case listed at $6.99 then i go to the cash to pay and they ring it up to well over $13...

i'd be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt once but no, it happened twice more!

i picked up a laptop bag because there was a sign that explicitly said "40% off ALL cases and bags", then the guy says oh no, this one is not included in the promotion...

okay then my friend picks up a wireless mouse listed at $20 (50% off the regular price) then they ring it in at $42 WTF?!?!?!

and then i try to say well no, its listed at so and so price and they don't easily accept that, they treated it like a pricing mistake and took the tag off the shelf? SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!
Old 03-24-2010 at 12:07 AM   #2
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

actually, if the price marked on the shelf/product is different than the price that the computer pulls up you're supposed to get it for $10 off or 10% off, whichever is more (I think that's how it works, it's been a while since I dealt with that stuff - it's from the consumer protection act). Some stores have signs near the cash registers with the information on them (I used to work customer service at Rona, and we had those signs at the cash and customer service areas)
Old 03-24-2010 at 12:23 AM   #3
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

I don't know why people bother going to stores for electronics, they're generally much cheaper online

EDIT: I forgot to make my actual point, the one time I've been to the university plaza source, I actually paid less than the advertised price. got a pair of headphone for about $3 less
Old 03-24-2010 at 12:36 AM   #4
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
I don't know why people bother going to stores for electronics, they're generally much cheaper online

EDIT: I forgot to make my actual point, the one time I've been to the university plaza source, I actually paid less than the advertised price. got a pair of headphone for about $3 less
i'm an avid online buyer, i just couldn't find good deals for 1) wireless mice and 2) a camera case, having searched several online websites (e.g. ebay, and all the different store websites)

it's just frustrating, like way to maintain the store now, really! horrible customer service, and theyre terribly slow on top of that too!!!
Old 03-24-2010 at 12:47 AM   #5
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
i'm an avid online buyer, i just couldn't find good deals for 1) wireless mice and 2) a camera case, having searched several online websites (e.g. ebay, and all the different store websites)

it's just frustrating, like way to maintain the store now, really! horrible customer service, and theyre terribly slow on top of that too!!!
Its usually pretty easy to find deals on Wireless mice. In canada, I usually stick to eBay, tigerdirect, and ncix, and I know you can pick one up from either of those three places for less than $20.

Camera cases: ya, those are hard to buy alone for a good price, though you can get 'em at a decent price if you package it together with a camera
Old 03-24-2010 at 07:28 AM   #6
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Might i suggest, monoprice.com
I believe you can get a wireless mouse for as cheap as 15$.
Old 03-24-2010 at 09:50 AM   #7
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

ive given that store alot of business, but the last time i went the manager guy asked me to "please drop off your bag by one of the front check out desks". ive heard of this before, like little convienience stores have a sign saying "leave all bags at door" but i couldnt find the sign in this store. i suppose its their right, but i just felt suuuppppperrrrr uncomfortable and just wanted to leave and never buy anything there again.
Old 03-26-2010 at 07:28 AM   #8
thatdudeukno

Buy your stuff from canadacomputers.
Old 03-26-2010 at 08:23 AM   #9
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
Buy your stuff from canadacomputers.
A couple times I've caught Canada Computers doing the whole bait and switch technique at their retail stores. I look up a product on their website, find a good deal, head to the store, and it's 10 - 20% more expensive than the website says.

This isn't always the case though, and they DO have some great deals (if it is indeed as advertised online).
Old 03-26-2010 at 12:03 PM   #10
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Lower prices on the web is not that uncommon. You should see the markup Chapters has. Its much smarter to go look for the book in chapters then buy it online. Even when you have to pay for shipping it can still be cheaper (I think its free over $40.

I have never really liked the source/radioshack. I have only used them for weird batteries and harder to find cables which seem to be more expensive in other places.
Old 03-26-2010 at 07:08 PM   #11
bawb

Liked: 0 Times

A couple of years ago I bought something there and yeah it rang up more than the shelf price. They did correct the mistake though.
Old 03-26-2010 at 11:09 PM   #12
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i dont think its jus that source... in scarb there was a sigh that said a certain printer was on sale... then they said.. "oh... not that one.."
Old 03-27-2010 at 02:30 AM   #13
mattgood9

Liked: 3 Times

the source makes crap stuff in general, there brands are lame