MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
MSU election techniques Rossclot Presidentials 2010 76 02-03-2010 06:30 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
MSU Presidential Election 2009 Polls Closed lorend MacInsiders Announcements 69 02-08-2009 01:35 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

SRA 2009 By-Election

Old 10-18-2009 at 11:57 PM   #15
aviaf
Richard Cioci
SRA Member

Liked: 50 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I thinkkkk we went through this whole issue on Insiders as well! I believe two SRA members Ben Taunton and Jessie Bauman are currently working on it(According to SRA minutes!) I am still confused as to why this issue is still on going and what research the SRA members have that goes against some of the arguments made on that thread. If it REALLY was unfair there would be a serious revolt against it :S
Can someone actually go speak to any stats prof about it? SRA candidates and a couple of Board Of Governor candidates even have it on their poster. I'm So Confused
I'd just like to point out that as one of the candidates who has this on their SRA poster, my point for this topic is not the 12 point grading system itself, but being aware that an evaulation of it is going on. This goes with the main focus of my platform, increasing SRA exposure and communication with students. I spoke to an SRA rep and they said that it wasn't at a stage for asking for student opinion yet; however, whether or not people like it, or whether they're asking for student opinions yet, it's important that students know it is happening.

Old 10-19-2009 at 10:29 AM   #16
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times
Dear Engineering candidates:

Please post your campaign points or platform so that the faculty of engineering can know who is going to represent them.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2009 at 12:04 PM   #17
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
Thanks BJ for notifying the discussion board that there are no seats avaliable for the Commerce Caucus on the SRA. If you are in Commerce and are interested in running for the SRA, you can apply in the Spring elections for next year's spots. If you really feel like you want to do this, spend the next few months researching the SRA and the MSU, come to committee and caucus meetings, and more importantly, come to an actual SRA meeting to get a first-hand look at how things are run.

I have an SRA Commerce Faculty Page on the MSU website that can be found here, with information on the Caucus that I will be updating as the year goes on. Check it out!!!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 10-19-2009 at 02:44 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Eh. I saw some of the posters that people put up around TSH.

Chris Erl's is good and visually appealing. Huzaifa's was pretty, but I didn't actually try and read it because it was nothing but small text. I don't know if it's actually trying to send a message, or it's just there for the visual effects. I hope it doesn't actually have meaningful text because I doubt that many people will take the time to read it.

And then.. Richard's C's just offended me. Sure, it grabs people's attention but honestly, it seems more of a mockery to the whole thing. It's just innapropriate. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

c.erl, huzaifa47 all say thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Old 10-19-2009 at 02:50 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Eh. I saw some of the posters that people put up around TSH.

Huzaifa's was pretty, but I didn't actually try and read it because it was nothing but small text. I don't know if it's actually trying to send a message, or it's just there for the visual effects. I hope it doesn't actually have meaningful text because I doubt that many people will take the time to read it.

>_<
Well you have to thank "Temara Browns Spiffy Posters Inc" for the poster

The thing with the poster is: All I need to do with a poster is Put my name and what seat I'm running for out there! People do that and leave the rest of the area blank and or put in silly or apparently funny comments/slogans in there.

What this one has is a to copy/paste of my facebook platform onto the background! Soo it gives out a sense of "intrigue" to random people...they'll be like WOAH what's all that stuff(atleast from a distance) andd well they might remember it;even if they don't read it? I hope! Plus since my platform is based on serious work and issues I didn't feel like putting on silly jokes on it.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 10-19-2009 at 02:55 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well you have to thank Temara Browns Spiffy Posters Inc for the poster

The thing with the poster is: All I need to do with a poster is Put my name and what seat I'm running for out there! People do that and leave the rest of the area blank and or put in silly or apparently funny comments/slogans in there.

What this one has is a to copy/paste of my facebook platform onto the background! Soo it gives out a sense of "intrigue" to random people...they'll be like WOAH what's all that stuff(atleast from a distance) andd well they might remember it;even if they don't read it? I hope! Plus since my platform is based on serious work and issues I didn't feel like putting on silly jokes on it.
Yea, I figured you wouldn't put something silly on it. I didn't have time to read it since I was rushing to class, but I figured most people who don't know what the SRA is or don't really care won't take the time to read it. They'll just see a wall of text and say "TL;DR."

And I agree, wall of text is better than some silly joke (as implied by my previous post). I just don't know how many people (besides from the one that DO care) will actually take the time to read it.

It is friggin pretty though, hehe.

huzaifa47, temara.brown all say thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Old 10-19-2009 at 04:01 PM   #21
aviaf
Richard Cioci
SRA Member

Liked: 50 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

And then.. Richard's C's just offended me. Sure, it grabs people's attention but honestly, it seems more of a mockery to the whole thing. It's just innapropriate. >_<

I totally understand what you mean, but I have several types of posters, most of which talk about actual issues. I found that there are many areas of the school where people don't have time to even stop when they're walking so I decided to go out on a limb to attract people's attention.

Overall I'm pleased with how it did, given that it got people to stop and take my name in. It even made some people more attentive to my other posters (or so they said). Unfortunately, I did run the risk of offending some people, but you win some you lose some.

Old 10-19-2009 at 04:07 PM   #22
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post
I totally understand what you mean, but I have several types of posters, most of which talk about actual issues. I found that there are many areas of the school where people don't have time to even stop when they're walking so I decided to go out on a limb to attract people's attention.

Overall I'm pleased with how it did, given that it got people to stop and take my name in. It even made some people more attentive to my other posters (or so they said). Unfortunately, I did run the risk of offending some people, but you win some you lose some.
Anddd that is exactly what I hate about such posters! The SRA and funny/scandalous posters have no co-relation whatsoever Imo. No smart alec joke/MEME usage in the posters means that you'll do a good job or does it? But then again such posters have always been VERY effective at SRA level :S As Sad as that is :( Oh well....

Old 10-19-2009 at 04:10 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post

Yea, I haven't seen any of the other ones on campus till I clicked your FB page like an hour ago. The other ones are well done but I just don't think the swearing is necessary. I get the message you're trying to say, I really do, I just think it's tacky. ;D Especially for serious causes. Glad we can agree to disagree though! Haha. GL in the race.

Old 10-21-2009 at 09:45 PM   #24
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

BUMP! Hey everyone! The voting is tomorrow from 9:30AM to 4:30PM on various faculty specific locations on campus! For all Social Science students reading this; even though I myself am running I would still urge you guys to check out all the platforms given via facebook/macinsiders links above and come out and vote based on who YOU think is the most experienced and qualified candidate to represent your views and get work done within the SRA!

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009 at 07:22 AM   #25
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times
Alright everyone! Today is the day!

GET OUT AND VOTE!

To refresh your memories:

Arts & Science - Commons Lobby
Engineering - BSB Lobby
Humanities - Mills Library
Kinesiology - DBAC
Science - BSB Lobby
Social Sciences - Student Centre (by Williams)

Check out all the candidates, make an informed vote and help shape the direction of YOUR student government!

And if you don't like any of 'em, spoil your ballot! Send a message, just show up to the polls!

If you're a Hummer, check out all 4 platforms, but definitely do consider voting for me, Chris Erl

HAPPY ELECTION DAY!

Old 10-22-2009 at 08:09 AM   #26
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
I just checked out the platforums for the people running for my faculty, laughable for the most part. It made the decision process pretty easy thats for sure.

Old 10-22-2009 at 08:16 AM   #27
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times
Just a reminder for all faculties to get out and vote today!

Old 10-22-2009
feonateresa
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:57 AM   #28
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times
Any word on results?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search