MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-06-2010 at 07:48 PM   #1
Ansa

Liked: 1 Time

Stairs
Ok so I was wondering if there's stairs that go up to floors higher than 2nd floor in CNH and TSH? It says in the stairs you must take the elevator.. but honestly there ARE NO stairs???? How is that possible?

Cuz I am terrified of elevators LOL, so I really was wondering how to get up there. Please tell me there are stairs, I just cant find them .
Old 01-06-2010 at 07:55 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

There's definitely stairs that go as high the 5th floor or more in CNH. Walk past the student centre doors in that courtyard, and you'll see a door sort of hidden in bushes on the right side before you get to the CNH doors. I believe there are stairs there.

As for TSH, there should be stairs right when you go inside but I've always taken the elevator there. :/
Old 01-06-2010 at 07:55 PM   #3
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

There has to be stairs. It would be illegal otherwise haha.
Anways I'm sure there are stairs to the third floor of TSH cause I had a history tutorial up there in one of the rooms...
Old 01-06-2010 at 08:06 PM   #4
Ansa

Really?
I went into TSH and in the stairs it says "Stairs only go to 2nd floor, take elevators for floors higher" :S

But I guess CNH's are hidden outside, haven't really looked around there. But for TSH, I'm unable to find them.
If anyone does, please let me know You would be making my life super easy LOL
Old 01-06-2010 at 08:07 PM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

There are stairs for both.

TSH...I don't remember how to get to them from the outside, but if you go to the ends of the hallways on the higher floors, there are definitely stairs. Same for CNH, except I know that the CNH stairs are accessible from the place that Feona is talking about.

Maybe the TSH stairs in the basement go to the higher floors. e.g. If you're walking from the Student Centre towards Quarters, the second hallway on your left. Once inside that hallway, there should be a stairwell on your right. Try that one...? :S
Old 01-06-2010 at 08:12 PM   #6
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I know some of the ones in TSH are for emergencies (in the 2nd floor computer labs there's doors to the stairwell, but they have signs on them saying that an alarm will sound if they're opened, or something to that effect)
Old 01-06-2010 at 08:15 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
I know some of the ones in TSH are for emergencies (in the 2nd floor computer labs there's doors to the stairwell, but they have signs on them saying that an alarm will sound if they're opened, or something to that effect)
That's exactly what I've seen too. I have yet to come across an accessible staircase that goes past the 2nd floor. If it helps, the elevator is pretty fast, you won't feel the time spent in there.. If anything
Old 01-06-2010 at 08:15 PM   #8
Ansa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
There are stairs for both.

TSH...I don't remember how to get to them from the outside, but if you go to the ends of the hallways on the higher floors, there are definitely stairs. Same for CNH, except I know that the CNH stairs are accessible from the place that Feona is talking about.

Maybe the TSH stairs in the basement go to the higher floors. e.g. If you're walking from the Student Centre towards Quarters, the second hallway on your left. Once inside that hallway, there should be a stairwell on your right. Try that one...? :S
I have tried the Student Centre stairs already, they're the same as the ones from the main entrances of both CNH and TSH (which only go to floor 2) but I guess if the stairs are accessible from the end of the hallways of the higher floors, it's good I'll check that out! Thanks.

@ Sara - lol, I'm actually super claustrophobic and yeah its part that slow elevators scare me too. But if worst comes to worst, I'll have no choice but to do that :p

However, I really hope to find stairs.

and also the emergency stairs, doesn't it say that Emergency thing on ALL the stairs? Even the ones you take up from the basement of the TSH to go up, it says and Alarm will sound but I always see people going up and down those stairs lol?

Last edited by Ansa : 01-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2010 at 08:18 PM   #9
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

You'll see a door across the elevators on the main floor of TSH. Go through that door and you'll see stairs that's accessible to every floor.

Ansa likes this.
Old 01-07-2010 at 08:01 PM   #10
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I haven't used the stairs in TSH this year because none of my classes are on the upper floors, but I used to take them all the time last year because I am claustrophobic and elevators freak me out. There are some that only go to the 2nd floor, and there are some that I've taken as high as the 5th floor (they may go higher, I don't remember).

I only know how to get to them from the TSH basement. When you're coming in from the student centre(in the same hallway as 1280), it's the first hallway to your left. To clarify, the second hallway to your left has elevators and stairs that only go as far as the 2nd floor. The first hallway to your left has stairs that go as far as the 5th floor(or maybe higher).

As for CNH, I don't remember. You could try taking the elevator up to whatever floor you need to get to, then take the stairs down, and then make note of where the stairwell is located on the first floor/basement for next time. It's confusing as there are some stairwells that are only for emergency(and they will have a sign that says so) and there are some that are accessible on each floor, it just takes some looking around.

Ansa says thanks to EmilySusie for this post.
Old 01-07-2010 at 09:25 PM   #11
Ansa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySusie View Post
I haven't used the stairs in TSH this year because none of my classes are on the upper floors, but I used to take them all the time last year because I am claustrophobic and elevators freak me out. There are some that only go to the 2nd floor, and there are some that I've taken as high as the 5th floor (they may go higher, I don't remember).

I only know how to get to them from the TSH basement. When you're coming in from the student centre(in the same hallway as 1280), it's the first hallway to your left. To clarify, the second hallway to your left has elevators and stairs that only go as far as the 2nd floor. The first hallway to your left has stairs that go as far as the 5th floor(or maybe higher).

As for CNH, I don't remember. You could try taking the elevator up to whatever floor you need to get to, then take the stairs down, and then make note of where the stairwell is located on the first floor/basement for next time. It's confusing as there are some stairwells that are only for emergency(and they will have a sign that says so) and there are some that are accessible on each floor, it just takes some looking around.
Ah , I feel normal now haha. Okay so I found stairs for TSH from the first floor.. they were across from the elevators on the first floor. It's a sign that says Exit at the top. And what you told me helps too!!

And thanks, I'll try looking for CNH later.

But have you had a problem finding stairs in any other buildings?
Old 01-08-2010 at 01:37 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Just a word of advice, don't take elevator #2 in Mills. I was trapped in there for about ten minutes. One of the scariest moments of my life. >.>
Old 01-08-2010 at 02:59 PM   #13
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

That is possibly one of the reasons why the original poster is afraid of elevators...

I always walk up the stairs in Mills anyway. It's good exercise .
Old 01-08-2010 at 03:08 PM   #14
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
Ah , I feel normal now haha. Okay so I found stairs for TSH from the first floor.. they were across from the elevators on the first floor. It's a sign that says Exit at the top. And what you told me helps too!!

And thanks, I'll try looking for CNH later.

But have you had a problem finding stairs in any other buildings?
I've been able to find stairs in every building so far in the arts quad (CNH, KTH, TSH). I usually go through the basement because I find that easier. Sometimes in the basement there's large maps on the walls that show where everything is, rooms, stairways, washrooms.. I know that KTH basement does. I haven't had to use the stairs in other buildings on campus outside the arts quad, but I'm fairly sure that it's required they have stairs accessible on every floor, they're just hard to find sometimes.
Old 01-08-2010 at 07:02 PM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
That is possibly one of the reasons why the original poster is afraid of elevators...

I always walk up the stairs in Mills anyway. It's good exercise .
Aiiee. To the 5th floor? No thankies. I looked for the staircase to the 5th floor but I didn't see it. :/