100%100%100%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 90%
Stats 1CC3

Hey everyone!

Time for another review... Statistics 1CC3. I was taught this course by Dr. Childs, who is an awesome teacher! He is funny, intelligent, and most importantly, an effective communicator. Anyways, about the course...

I found the course to be easy, especially because a lot of the material covered (such as permuations, combinations) was a review of my grade 12 Data Management course. However, I strongly believe that I owe my success in this course to practice! If there is one word of advice that I can give someone who is enrolled in this course, it would be to practice! After doing the questions in the courseware, I noticed that the questions would show up on the tests (obviously with different numbers). So, if one knows how to do the questions in the courseware, he/she will be well-prepared for the tests and the exam. I also used the textbook as additional practice.

In terms of calculating the final mark, there are five assignments/labs, worth 3% each. These labs could be completed by going into the computer labs or on your own time (at home/residence). Students who had the Minitab software to complete the assignments would do it on their own time, while those who did not would go to the labs and work on the computers. Also, the labs have TAs present, who are willing to help students complete the assignments. If you put in the effort, these assignments should definitely help boost your mark. Also, before submitting my assignments, I always checked over my answer with friends to ensure that I was doing the right thing.

There are also two tests, each worth 20%. I found the first test to be much easier, primarily because the information that it tested was not too difficult. The second test, on the other hand, as a bit trickier, but it was still possible to get a good mark on it.

The exam was worth 45% of a student's final mark. The good thing about the exam was that we were allowed to take formula cards (either present in the textbook, or can be printed via the Statistics website). This was especially helpful because by the end of the course, we were exposed to a whole bunch of formulas. Memorizing all of them would just be crazy! The exam was fairly easy. There were a few tricky questions, but not too many to consider the exam as "hard."

Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention is that the midterms and exam were solely multiple choice. Although this sounds very easy, it can actually be really hard. The reason is because the choices are such that if a student misses one step in a calculation, he/she will end up with an answer that he/she believes to be right and which co-incidentally shows up as one of the multiple choices. So, just make sure that you look over your work once you finish answering the question to make sure you haven't missed a step or two.

Overall, I really liked this course. But, I guess I really like all Math courses (even though I have taken only two... this one and Math 1A03) and the fact that they are so concrete/objective.

Good luck to those taking this course!
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Stats 1CC3!

Old 06-15-2008 at 09:50 PM   #2
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times
I had stats 1cc3 with another prof. i forgot his name.. :S It was realyl long from waht i rmb. anyways. This course was pretty easy. Juts to tell everyone. I did not take gr .12 data management and it is not a problem! I'm sure it would have helped, but either way, this was an easy course anyways. Although I don't have a preference for stats and dont' understand it alot.. don't liek probabilty. this course was structured in such a good way. The tests were so easy. if you brought the courseoutline there woudl be practice tests for you to do at the end of the book. DO THEM!! I didn't do alot of them. But then there was the SAME QUESTION in a previous test on the real test.. SAME NUMBER SAME QUESTION SAME CHOICES SAME ORDER.. I was so surprised after the first test... and remembered to DO THE PRACTICE TESTS. haha. Even thought it was only 2 questions that were a repeat.
that's still pretty nice. 2 free questions ! If you put the work in to it, you will get a good grade. The second half of the material got a bit harder with the t-tables and hypothesis testing, so dont' slack of!! overall, a nice math course. the math department is so nice..
Old 06-15-2008 at 10:10 PM   #3
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times
Hey great reviews I always wanted to take Stats 1cc3 seemed really easy since I took data management in gr12 and my science friends really liked it, but I couldn't since im in engineering. But I had Dr. Childs before and he's great! anywhoo what I really wanted to comment about was the fact that STATS 1CC3 is not listed in the Master timetable for fall 2008/09...I guess they've changed the course :S.
Old 06-15-2008 at 10:17 PM   #4
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times
yes. this course is no longer offered. and i don't think they have listed another equivalent course.

Old 06-16-2008 at 07:12 AM   #5
mak at mac

Liked: 0 Times
Hi guys! I'm an incoming first year student and they're making me take a course called STATS 1L03 (Probability and Linear Algebra). I'm not a big fan of probability, but algebra is pretty cool. The timtable also says that S. Azgin is the only one teaching the course, so does anyone know whether this proff is cool or not?
Old 06-16-2008 at 07:41 AM   #6
dj_money

Liked: 4 Times
Aww man... I didn't even realize that this course was removed until you guys pointed it out to me. I guess I should have checked the course calendar before reviewing this course.

Hey mak at mac, in response to your question, sorry I haven't heard of that course or that professor either. Your best bet would be to wait and check the Reviews section on Professors... maybe someone who has had him in the past will decide to write about him!

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2008 at 11:57 AM   #7
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times
Hi mak at mac. I had Dr. Azgin as a prof. He was new last year and I don't have much to say about him except that he was not an effective lecturer (hard to hear him even tho he was wearing a mic, can't read his writing on the board). He was friendly but I personally did not enjoy having him teaching me math. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2008 at 10:12 PM   #8
salimak

Liked: 21 Times
Hey, So is STATS 1L03 the only data course available then? I'm having trouble finding a description for this course, and how neccessary it is...
thanks

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search