Take Stats 2B03 AND Stats 1CC3? kumquat Academics 7 06-23-2009 10:20 AM
STATS 2B03 vs STATS 2D03 jhan523 Academics 2 06-13-2009 12:53 AM

stats 2b03- minitab software

Old 08-13-2010 at 07:21 PM   #1
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

stats 2b03- minitab software
Hi guys,

Do you know if the minitab software can be purchased separately (how much and where). Does anyone have any copies of it? Do you know if you can chip in with some friends and burn the cd?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:07 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

We were told you could buy the textbook alone, not bundled with minitab, but when I went to Titles they only had it bundled. In theory, though, we were supposed to be allowed to just buy the textbook. I don't know if goes the other way, though, where you can just buy minitab.

I believe you can load the same CD onto different computers--I'm actually planning on checking that out for sure on Tuesday when I go to Hamilton, so if no one else has tried it I can let you know then. You don't need the CD every time you use the software, you just need it once to load the program onto your computer. If you're allowed to load it onto more than one computer, then find someone who has it and pay them some money to load it onto yours as well.

If you really don't want to spend the money, the labs don't take long to do at all--you can easily complete them in lab time, or you can use any computer lab whenever they're open to do it.
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:09 PM   #3
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Once a CD has been installed in one computer, you can not use it on another computer. I learnt that last year when I tried to share with a friend and hers stopped working =/
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:11 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
Once a CD has been installed in one computer, you can not use it on another computer. I learnt that last year when I tried to share with a friend and hers stopped working =/
Aw damn, that's a problem :S How long did it work before it stopped?
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:14 PM   #5
qwerty!

I'm not sure how long it worked before it stopped. She had it originally installed and let me borrow her CD and later when she was trying to work on her assignment after I had installed it onto my computer, it wouldn't work for her but it was fine once i uninstall-ed it.
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:15 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
I'm not sure how long it worked before it stopped. She had it originally installed and let me borrow her CD and later when she was trying to work on her assignment after I had installed it onto my computer, it wouldn't work for her but it was fine once i uninstall-ed it.
Oh, so if I already installed it on my computer, and then I uninstall it, it should be fine if I want to sell it to someone?

Edit: For the OP: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 471702221

demelo_b says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:18 PM   #7
qwerty!

I think so. As long as it's not an any computer it shouldn't be a problem. It's like if you got a new computer and wanted minitab on it instead of your old computer. They wouldn't expect you to buy another copy right?

Also, I heard you can buy minitab separately in Titles but I never looked into it so I don't know how accurate that is.
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:31 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

If it's more than 5$ you might as well just save you money and spend something like 10 minutes every assignment in the computer lab to do the part you need minitab for.
Old 08-13-2010 at 08:57 PM   #9
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

I am a huge procrastinator, so maybe I should just do it in lab
Old 08-13-2010 at 09:17 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by demelo_b View Post
I am a huge procrastinator, so maybe I should just do it in lab
That would be procrastinating... the assignments are due in lab. You should visit the computer lab on your own time, make sure they are open though, before your actual lab.

Or you can do the assignment the day that the assignment is "released" thereby completing it a week before it's actually due.
Old 08-13-2010 at 09:20 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That would be procrastinating... the assignments are due in lab. You should visit the computer lab on your own time, make sure they are open though, before your actual lab.
When I took it, the labs were just to complete the assignments and get help from the TA. There were drop boxes for the assignments. I took it in the summer, so it could have been slightly different, but we used the courseware from the fall/winter term (they didn't even change the dates of anything to make it current...) and it said they had to hand the assignments in the drop boxes by noon of the due date (which I believe was always a Friday). I don't think you ever have to actually go to labs unless you want to get your assignments back.
Old 08-13-2010 at 09:22 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
When I took it, the labs were just to complete the assignments and get help from the TA. There were drop boxes for the assignments. I took it in the summer, so it could have been slightly different, but we used the courseware from the fall/winter term (they didn't even change the dates of anything to make it current...) and it said they had to hand the assignments in the drop boxes by noon of the due date (which I believe was always a Friday). I don't think you ever have to actually go to labs unless you want to get your assignments back.
Oh right... You are completely right, how the hell did I invent such a story?! Lol. My bad.