Questions about Stats 2D03 & Math 1LT3 ae1011 Academics 4 06-09-2010 09:09 AM
STATS 2B03 vs STATS 2D03 jhan523 Academics 2 06-13-2009 12:53 AM
Stats 2D03 and Stats 2MB3 dacrown4life Academics 0 08-11-2007 09:03 PM

Stats 2d03

Old 06-09-2011 at 09:29 AM   #1
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Stats 2d03
Hey I was just wondering how this course was for anyone who has taken it?
Old 06-09-2011 at 09:42 AM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I'm in it right now. Along with differential equations (2C03), it's the worst 2nd year math/stats course.

Think of it in analogy with a first math course - i.e. math 1A03. You learn methods, but there's a huge amount of theory that isn't covered at all. So you basically get through the course by memorizing how to carry out particular operations when confronted by particular patterns.

It's not hard to pull off a good mark, but don't expect to enjoy it unless you don't really care enough to actually understand what you're doing.

You'll enjoy the other courses, though - 2X, 2XX, and 2S are all great courses.

Dopematic says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 06-09-2011 at 09:44 AM   #3
SydWishes
Account Locked

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I'm in it right now. Along with differential equations (2C03), it's the worst 2nd year math/stats course.

Think of it in analogy with a first math course - i.e. math 1A03. You learn methods, but there's a huge amount of theory that isn't covered at all. So you basically get through the course by memorizing how to carry out particular operations when confronted by particular patterns.

It's not hard to pull off a good mark, but don't expect to enjoy it unless you don't really care enough to actually understand what you're doing.

You'll enjoy the other courses, though - 2X, 2XX, and 2S are all great courses.
statisticians make a lot of money, its not for everyone, some ppl just aren't smart enough, you stick with your differential equations.
Old 06-09-2011 at 09:48 AM   #4
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWishes View Post
statisticians make a lot of money, its not for everyone, some ppl just aren't smart enough, you stick with your differential equations.
Stats 2D03 isn't 'stats', per se. It's probability theory.

Anyway, got anything constructive to add?

RyanC likes this.
Old 06-09-2011 at 09:49 AM   #5
SydWishes
Account Locked

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Stats 2D03 isn't 'stats', per se. It's probability theory.

Anyway, got anything constructive to add?
no

<12 chars?>
Old 06-09-2011 at 10:28 AM   #6
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
LOL.
Anyways on a serious note, in my opinion Stats 2D03 was my least favourite class. But that's also because the prof I had is considered one of the worst profs ever. The first month or so of material is interesting (counting, combinations, etc.), but the rest of the course became nothing but a bunch of formulas and useless information.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 06-09-2011 at 01:36 PM   #7
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankNullity View Post
LOL.
Anyways on a serious note, in my opinion Stats 2D03 was my least favourite class. But that's also because the prof I had is considered one of the worst profs ever.
May I ask which prof you had? lol
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:34 PM   #8
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

The course (and its 3rd year continuation 3d03) is really dry and boring if taught by the wrong prof. I had bad pros for both and have suffered because of it. As has been stated before the first couple of weeks is really easy if you took data management in grade 12, but after that get ready for a lot of memorization. The course in 2nd semester for which 2d03 is a prerequisite (2mb3) is actually really interesting because you actually use the theory to calculate stuff.
Old 06-09-2011 at 03:00 PM   #9
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopematic View Post
May I ask which prof you had? lol
I had Min-oo. He's a nice guy, but a bad prof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mac View Post
The course (and its 3rd year continuation 3d03) is really dry and boring if taught by the wrong prof. I had bad pros for both and have suffered because of it. As has been stated before the first couple of weeks is really easy if you took data management in grade 12, but after that get ready for a lot of memorization. The course in 2nd semester for which 2d03 is a prerequisite (2mb3) is actually really interesting because you actually use the theory to calculate stuff.
Oh 2MB3 is actually interesting? After taking 2D03 I swore to never take another stats course again haha.
Old 06-09-2011 at 04:09 PM   #10
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
"Hey guys, wanna hear a joke? How do you get a mathematician off your porch?

You pay him for the pizza! Now, you might think this is insulting to me, as your calculus professor, but I'm actually not a mathematician. I'm a statistician! Does anyone know how to get a statistician off our porch?

You wait for him to stop kicking your ass!

...and then you pay him for the pizza."

Looking forward to seeing you again, Aaron.

Last edited by Entropy : 06-09-2011 at 04:15 PM.

eullwm, Mahratta like this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 02:56 PM   #11
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

I might have to take this course... so does anyone have anything good to say about it? haha