MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stats 3Y03 micadjems 3rd Year Course Reviews 9 08-25-2012 12:01 PM
How to Survive a Zombie Outbreak temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 8 08-20-2009 12:20 AM
A Revisit: How To Survive Exams Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-19-2008 10:52 PM
How to Survive Exams lorend Exam Prep and Studying Tips 0 11-14-2007 11:23 AM

STATS 3Y03? Will I Survive?

Old 06-02-2011 at 06:35 PM   #1
adomanico18

Liked: 0 Times

STATS 3Y03? Will I Survive?
So going into 2nd year comp sci and I see we have to take a stats course!
I have never taken a stats course in my life and just wondering how intense this course is.
Dr. Fred Hoppe is teaching it.
Do they do a nice introduction? Is the prof good?
Old 06-02-2011 at 06:42 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Have you checked the review here? It's a little outdated but it should give you an overview.
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...y03-21015.html
Old 06-02-2011 at 06:44 PM   #3
adomanico18

Liked: 0 Times

thanks for that link! very helpful!

Still wondering about peoples opinions on Dr. Hoppe
Old 06-02-2011 at 07:12 PM   #4
KAB:)

Liked: 11 Times

Hoppe is the worst prof I have ever had. He has nonsensical, messy, illogical notes and spent the majority of lectures talking about his life and his schooling at Princeton. He taught 3N03 this year, not 3Y03 but they are equivalent courses with the same textbook and information. Lectures are a waste of time. Get a hold of some old tests from this year cause most people have them, and do good work on the questions out of textbook assignments because if you understand those questions you will get the major concepts. His idea of giving practice problems is " well just go do every other question". If he takes the practice problems list Dr Childs made a few years ago do it though cause its useful. There is no solution manual for the text but Cramster has a good one. Its worth it to go to Cramster and get the 4 month membership for 12 dollars, it will make life easier. The assignments he gave this year are choice questions out of the text and tend to cover the major concepts. Do them well. You may also have minitab assignments. Hope didn't have them this year but the equivalent class with Sarr did.

Other option, do what I did. Hope stunk so I dropped the class and picked up the equivalent (3N03 and 3Y03 are the same) because it had a different prof. Sarr wasn't great at lecturing but he had good notes. Childs has also been known to teach these sometimes, he's fantastic. Check to see who the other prof is.

Last edited by KAB:) : 06-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2011 at 07:23 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Apparently the material isn't that hard, but I dropped stats because the prof was a bad lecturer. See you in class maybe, haha.
Old 06-02-2011 at 07:50 PM   #6
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

We had Dr. Sarr teach it this year and he was horrible. He somehow managed to mumble his way through the ENTIRE semester. The attendance to the class was like....20-30 people, of which at least 5 would give up halfway through and leave. And he basically read off the slides (I think these are slides that come with the teachers version of the textbook).

Content wise, its not extremely difficult BUT it does require you to keep up with the problems, if you don't you're screwed. DON'T let it slip down in your priority list. I would highly suggest coming home from the lecture and just doing the problems associated with it right away.

Our course breakdown was

3 midterms, 15% each
3 assignments, for a total of 10%
Exam, 45%

The assignments are done on this program called MiniTab, the courseware pretty much step by step explained how to do each problem, so you basically copied the examples.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2011 at 08:03 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Be thankful its not EE 3TQ4.
Old 06-02-2011 at 08:09 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
We had Dr. Sarr teach it this year and he was horrible. He somehow managed to mumble his way through the ENTIRE semester. The attendance to the class was like....20-30 people, of which at least 5 would give up halfway through and leave. And he basically read off the slides (I think these are slides that come with the teachers version of the textbook).

Content wise, its not extremely difficult BUT it does require you to keep up with the problems, if you don't you're screwed. DON'T let it slip down in your priority list. I would highly suggest coming home from the lecture and just doing the problems associated with it right away.

Our course breakdown was

3 midterms, 15% each
Exam, 45%

The assignments are done on this program called MiniTab, the courseware pretty much step by step explained how to do each problem, so you basically copied the examples.

Good luck!
Do you have the software/textbook/notes still? I want to get started on this course over the summer.

$$
Old 06-02-2011 at 08:32 PM   #9
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Take it 2nd term with Dr. Childs. You'll be thankful you did. No comments on Hoppe, but from 1st year, Childs is King.

Old 06-02-2011 at 09:12 PM   #10
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Yep, just gotta dig through my external hard drive a bit

RyanC says thanks to nila* for this post.

Alchemist11, MisterTK, RyanC like this.
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:52 PM   #11
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post

Our course breakdown was

3 midterms, 15% each
Exam, 45%

Good luck!

Add this to the reviews for future askers!!!
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:54 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I also just had this course with Sarr, and as with the others, I didn't find the course to be too difficult. The main thing is just do the suggested problems and make sure you understand them. The tests are just an easier version.

I literally went to three classes (first one, second midterm review and the exam review). Only got really killed on the third test... didn't feel like reading about hypothesis testing with a difference in means :p. I studied my ass off though for the exam and managed to get 100% (he posted the exam marks on avenue for some reason). That might be the longest exam I've ever written...

Overall, none of the material is incredibly difficult (everything past hypothesis testing is a little hard to conceptualize, but if you spend the time doing so - you'll be fine), I would say only focus on probability for now and just learn the other shit while you're taking the course. Probability is really easy and is the basis of pretty much everything in the course.