Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to study? MacEng Academics 6 09-14-2008 01:04 PM

How to study for Dr. Day?

Old 10-09-2011 at 12:08 AM   #1
Saskia

Liked: 14 Times

How to study for Dr. Day?
Hey!
So I just need some help on how to study for Dr. Day's tests? Are they conceptual or application?? Are the questions similar style to his online practice ones?

Thanks

Last edited by Saskia : 10-09-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2011 at 02:45 AM   #2
JonSnow

Liked: 13 Times

tips would be appreciated!
Old 10-09-2011 at 05:56 AM   #3
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

I assume that you're talking about his 1X03 or 1XX3 courses, as someone who has completed 1X03 I can safely say that you should understand concepts and the way they can be applied rather than strictly understanding definitions.

The way his exams work are that he will use an example and ask you what order or behavior that individual is exhibiting, it's much harder to write his tests/exams if you've memorized definitions instead of actually understanding how to apply the concepts into practical situations.

Hope this helped, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.
Old 10-09-2011 at 08:50 AM   #4
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Do 100-200 questions in the practice bank and you're pretty much guaranteed at least 80% (since about 20% of his test questions come from textbook readings and aren't included in the question bank). He literally takes only questions from the practice ones (word for word) + questions from textbook readings.
Old 10-09-2011 at 12:31 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
I assume that you're talking about his 1X03 or 1XX3 courses, as someone who has completed 1X03 I can safely say that you should understand concepts and the way they can be applied rather than strictly understanding definitions.

The way his exams work are that he will use an example and ask you what order or behavior that individual is exhibiting, it's much harder to write his tests/exams if you've memorized definitions instead of actually understanding how to apply the concepts into practical situations.

Hope this helped, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.
Dr Day doesn't teach 1X03/1XX3...that's Dr Kim.

For Dr Day's tests, memorize the question bank. Memorize random statistics and factoids. His tests focus much more on this than on understanding.
Old 10-09-2011 at 05:52 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
Do 100-200 questions in the practice bank and you're pretty much guaranteed at least 80% (since about 20% of his test questions come from textbook readings and aren't included in the question bank). He literally takes only questions from the practice ones (word for word) + questions from textbook readings.
Only 100-200? I thought the bank had thousands of questions (I think he said something like that on the first day)...?
Old 10-09-2011 at 09:10 PM   #7
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Only 100-200? I thought the bank had thousands of questions (I think he said something like that on the first day)...?
Unless he's added new ones to the bank, there are only 100-200 original questions and then it just keeps repeating. I typically only did 100-120 questions for each test and that was more than sufficient.
Old 10-09-2011 at 09:34 PM   #8
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

read the handbook over and over and over. He uses LOTS of " all of the above, none of the above, two of the above" options which can kill you if youre unsure about one or deciding between options.

I took both personality and positive psych so far with him and am now taking abnormal psych.. this method has served me well!Just read read read and be able to recognize. ( although understanding is ultimately important,, sometimes when you try to really understand things you change the way he presented it, and make it into your own words.. which doesnt help you on his tests!)

Practice the bank questions but be careful because sometimes the test has VERY similar ones but a few words are changed and it makes it a different answer.

lt93 says thanks to guest_295 for this post.

dreamer21 likes this.