MacInsiders Study Group JEFF_CHAN Academics 275 12-20-2010 03:41 PM
LSAT Study Group Lsat Academics 0 09-29-2010 12:22 PM
Macinsiders study group Mowicz Academics 211 12-24-2009 06:35 PM

study group

Old 08-13-2012 at 08:57 PM   #1
twinrainbow

Liked: 0 Times

study group
Hi, I heard from others that study group is very helpful in university for learning new materials and communication with new friends.

For example, I heard for psychology quizzes, people complete them in groups. But I am usually too shy to talk to other people in the beginning.

I would not know anyone at mcmaster, so can anyone give me an advice about how I should approach people for making one?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012 at 09:05 PM   #2
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

For Psych you'll be having Tutorials with a smaller group of students (15-20) as compared to lectures, that contain a couple hundred. So, tutorials are effective in getting students involved, and working together - that way you'll be making plenty of friends and meeting students like you, who don't know anyone. Same with Labs. You'll most probably work with the same people that you worked with in the last Lab/Tut you attend & over the days/2-3 weeks you can ask those people if they'd like to form study groups with you. It's not that bad =) You'll be fine!

twinrainbow says thanks to -Ish- for this post.
Old 08-13-2012 at 09:10 PM   #3
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

Maybe join a club related to what you're studying. I think ClubsFest is on September 5th. There you can talk to people and see what clubs you would like to get involved in.

In tutorials you might have group discussions. That should be a good opportunity for you to make some friends.

If you're taking classes with lab components you will get to know the people you're working with very well.

Another thing you can do is write a post on Avenue2Learn course forums asking people in your class if they would like to form a study group.

There will be tons of random scenarios where you will get to meet new people. And remember once you know one person, then you will eventually know their friends, and then their friends' friends, and so on...

Last edited by user9753 : 08-13-2012 at 09:22 PM.

twinrainbow says thanks to user9753 for this post.
Old 08-14-2012 at 12:22 AM   #4
guptas46

Liked: 9 Times

usually (if the course has a section on avenue to learn) somebody posts on the discussion board about meeting up to make a study group. if nobody does, you can

you'll learn more about avenue to learn in your first days of class.

twinrainbow says thanks to guptas46 for this post.
Old 08-22-2012 at 02:11 PM   #5
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

Meeting people in labs and tutorials is one of the best ways to do this.

If you're living on campus this year, you should talk to the people on your floor and see who's in the same program/taking the same classes as you. I found my study group was mostly rez people and others they knew. It was pretty easy to set up group times and a location quickly, and we could do quizzes in our PJs

twinrainbow says thanks to rkb12 for this post.