Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Book Library Group Study Rooms Online! KristaG Academics 1 09-06-2007 10:15 PM

Study Rooms?

Old 07-15-2011 at 05:49 PM   #1
GB123

Liked: 2 Times

Study Rooms?
Hi, this September is going to be my first year at uni, and I'll be lining on residence at McKay and just wanted to ask a small question. Are there study rooms located an every floor? Or are they located in one location in the building?

Edit: On another note, is there a bandwidth cap for using the internet?

Last edited by GB123 : 07-15-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2011 at 06:01 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

i lived in mckay.
There are some study rooms in basement. usually full around test/exam time. i didn't like them since it was stuffy but it is in ur builidng. im iin eng and i studied in thode or hamilton hall.

bandwidth, if u download like over 2-5 gb ur downnload speed gets throttled for sure (not instnatly in one day) the word of mouth says its 2gb/day

GB123 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:03 PM   #3
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

I do believe that anything from DC++ doesn't count towards the 2GB though

GB123 says thanks to x_hikari for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:09 PM   #4
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hikari View Post
but just remember that u can't use DC++ with wifi u need be hooked up in ur room to be able to use it
and I dont think that they actually have bandwidth or it disappears as the year goes by cuz I used wayyyyyy more than 2GB per day and nothing happened

GB123 says thanks to cjdzl for this post.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:42 PM   #5
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hikari View Post
This is true. DC++ is a file-sharing system. It has nothing to do with accessing the very very large internet we have now been so accustomed to using. In other words, DC++ bandwidth doesn't count toward the cap. What you're doing with DC++ is basically downloading a file from someone else's computer connected on the same network.

GB123 says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 12:53 PM   #6
DarthFuzzy

Liked: 7 Times

OH man DC++ , make sure to bring an extra Hard drive for the all movies you can get in like 2 minutes

GB123 says thanks to DarthFuzzy for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 01:06 PM   #7
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFuzzy View Post
OH man DC++ , make sure to bring an extra Hard drive for the all movies you can get in like 2 minutes
This is a must. I was really impressed by its download speed.

GB123 likes this.
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:08 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Word. Is it true you have to have like 500MB worth of material uploaded to start downloading other peoples' stuff? Does it show who you're downloading off of? Any sort of link explaining how DC++ works at Mac?
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:12 PM   #9
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Word. Is it true you have to have like 500MB worth of material uploaded to start downloading other peoples' stuff? Does it show who you're downloading off of? Any sort of link explaining how DC++ works at Mac?
that's only if you use the program ApexDC++ there's no sharing 500MB thing. also just download the program, and join

machub.org

and you should be good to go. also you have to have a wired connection
Old 07-20-2011 at 02:14 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
The amount of sharing depends on who is running the hub, they are the ones that set the minimum. You can only see the nickname the person chooses. There are a couple threads on DC++ already on MacInsiders. It's like torrenting/P2P except if you are on LAN then it goes through that instead of the internet.
Old 07-20-2011 at 03:02 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
that's only if you use the program ApexDC++ there's no sharing 500MB thing. also just download the program, and join

machub.org

and you should be good to go. also you have to have a wired connection
So you're saying only if you're using ApexDC++ you have to upload 500MB first or the other way around?

@jhan
Yeah I already know about it being a LAN thing and not requiring the internet. As for the threads already on it, I'll look into them in more detail I suppose.
Old 07-24-2011 at 06:22 PM   #12
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
So you're saying only if you're using ApexDC++ you have to upload 500MB first or the other way around?
In my experience, you don't have to upload 500MB using ApexDC++. Even if they do change it, it shouldn't be a problem
Old 08-30-2011 at 12:15 PM   #13
mariettelee

Liked: 1 Time

I was in McKay my first year. There are study rooms on each floor (about 2-3 cubicles in each) plus a basement hallway full of study rooms. They're good for individual study as well as group study. I personally preferred the dorm floor study rooms and the McMaster libraries to the basement ones because there's no sunlight, it's a stuffy in the beginning and end of the school year plus it's kind of creepy. But if you can deal with all that, hermit away! Because for sure, no one will bother you down there. Hope this helps!