MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable looking Stupid!? Help! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-10-2010 06:59 PM
quick, probably stupid question =D DMe3 Academics 1 06-13-2010 02:20 AM
This sounds like a *really* stupid question, but it's been nagging at me... JEFF_CHAN Academics 2 09-08-2008 11:40 PM

Stupid is what stupid does

Old 02-06-2010 at 08:12 AM   #31
Command "S"

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I can guarantee you, with 99% confidence that following through with any of what you said will just land the OP in more trouble when this situation is finally dealt with in a proper manner. The OP asked for suggestions on how to handle an unco-operative roommate, and as a former CA, and as someone who has lived with roommates for three years, I know there are far more efficient methods to deal with that than peeing in someone's conditioner. I don't know where you got the idea that that was a good way to resolve a conflict. You're a classy one.
Resorting to childish and potentially legal ramifications not only drags me down but shits on the idea of coming to places of "higher" education. What are the more efficient ways to deal with this? - she has screwed my first year experience with Mac - and the "proper channels" have failed (at least CA wise) - let see how the next level goes (RA)

PolSci_Mike likes this.
Old 02-06-2010 at 08:41 AM   #32
PolSci_Mike

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah ^^^

I loved the point that was like "the only way to stop a bully is to beat them up back" pretty sure when people in power act that way it results in um... war? But the point someone made about having people on your side is important. Get proof, take pictures of her side, get people to see it happening, then bring everything to your CA and tell them that if they don't want to do anything, you're going to your RA. Tell them everything, they will probably sit you two down for a talk. Then, if she doesn't change, you can bring the proof again, and they should (and better) do something about it.
Old 02-06-2010 at 08:06 PM   #33
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I hate dealing with difficult people. No matter how assertive you are, they don't get the picture until you theoretical staple a Polaroid to their forehead.

Try going to your RA and if they keep pushing you off by saying ''we'll get to it eventually'' just be persistent until they realize this isn't just a small situation.

as stated, you paid for residence, you deserve to enjoy it.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 02-06-2010 at 08:20 PM   #34
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

"Higher education"..."mature adults"...really? That's cute.
Old 02-06-2010 at 10:27 PM   #35
Mr. Pink

Liked: 14 Times

Don't try and get her kicked out. Get the CA or the HCA to arrange a meeting for you two to talk things out.
Everyone deserves a second chance.
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:27 PM   #36
Myaccount

Liked: 3 Times

I'm in a similar situation as you- my roommate makes me aubsolutely miserable and I have no idea what to do about it.

I think the most annoying thing is using my stuff. I don't care if she has some of my food or uses a pen or something, but she frequently goes through my desk drawers when I'm not in the room and ALWAYS opens my closet door and it's like, wtf, that's my stuff! Pretty sure she goes through ALL my stuff when I'm not here. She'll also use my phone... I actually REALLY hate residence because of her and would NEVER get a roommate again.

I've been having roommate issues for a long time now, and haven't found an effective way of dealing with it. I TRY to get back at her (she slams the door when she gets up before me, so I slam it when I get up before her, etc.), and it doesn't work, but it makes ME feel a bit better. I really hope you find a way of dealing with this, because crappy roommates really suck.
Old 02-07-2010 at 03:39 PM   #37
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

arathbon, Flag, tbiris, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 02-08-2010 at 12:04 PM   #38
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

I should mention...when I had issues when I lived in residence, the RA did shit all to rectify them. He told me up and down that yes, there would be ramifications to my roommates for their actions...but did anything happen? Nope. And I was persistent in asking for something to be done too.

If the RA does nothing, my suggestion is to take it to the higher-ups in the school. My mom threatened to drag the media into this; and I totally agree. This shit goes on far too often and nothing gets done about it. You're paying $20,000 or so a year to get an education and to get the university experience, not to be screwed over by a roommate who is completely disrespectful of you and the space you both share.
Old 02-08-2010 at 02:48 PM   #39
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Command "S" View Post
My roomie is quite intolerable, totally inconsiderate and to put it bluntly is "freakin" *****. She has created quite a drama when her boyfriend from "the other school" came to surprise her only to find her in the company of another boy toy. The ensuing fist fight earned her a reprimand (slap on the wrist) and banned her from having overnight visitors. Do you think that has stopped her? What are the options, - talking (or yelling) doesn't do anything, floor reps have proven to be ineffective (useless actually) and the residence reps have put me off till next week.
This has been just the tip of the iceberg ...
She is still having her boy toy crash over.
She has her "gal pals chat sessions" till the wee hours of the morning making it totally impossible to study.
she stumbles in late after her bar hoping - totally drunk only to turn the lights on at 3-4 in the morning
she's a total slob and hasn't help clean the room at all
uses my stuff constantly without asking
her fridge is stuffed with booze and rot
and when you ask her about school, the response is - " what the F...k do I care, it's my parent's money not mine!".
tell me you live in hedden?
Old 02-08-2010 at 05:01 PM   #40
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMal View Post
I should mention...when I had issues when I lived in residence, the RA did shit all to rectify them. He told me up and down that yes, there would be ramifications to my roommates for their actions...but did anything happen? Nope. And I was persistent in asking for something to be done too.

If the RA does nothing, my suggestion is to take it to the higher-ups in the school. My mom threatened to drag the media into this; and I totally agree. This shit goes on far too often and nothing gets done about it. You're paying $20,000 or so a year to get an education and to get the university experience, not to be screwed over by a roommate who is completely disrespectful of you and the space you both share.
You pay $20,000 a year?!
Old 02-08-2010 at 05:06 PM   #41
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
You pay $20,000 a year?!
Tuition + Housing (Residence) + Food/Utilities etc. (Meal plan) + textbooks.....+ alcohol = $20,000. (Give or Take)
Old 02-08-2010 at 05:09 PM   #42
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

Its a bit of an approximation. It really does depend on where you're living, HOW you're living, and what you like to do in your spare time.

LOL.
Old 02-08-2010 at 05:19 PM   #43
Alchemist11
Elite Member

This may be slightly off topic, but does scholarships/bursaries/OSAP decrease after first year as you go on?
Old 02-08-2010 at 06:28 PM   #44
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

nope
6chars
Old 02-08-2010 at 07:38 PM   #45
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Your CA's are being paid to do a job. That job involves making sure first years aren't living through a hellish experience. I'm sorry so many people feel as though CA's do shit all, but you should talk to a Res Manager, and get this sorted out properly, ASAP.

It really irritated me when I was a CA and people would say "Mannn so-and so had a loud party and woke me up and the CA's did nothing" etc. I'm not a mind reader, I don't instinctively know when people are having roommate issues. Talk to them again, and explain the extent of the problem. Show them this MacInsiders thread. Talk to any other CA in your building. Stand outside your Res managers office until they deal with this.

You really do deserve a better res experinece than this.

sniderj likes this.