Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Juve General Discussion 36 10-12-2010 07:08 PM
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM

succeeding university!

Old 01-21-2011 at 09:02 AM   #31
luna

Liked: 10 Times

this is really good advice. thank you!!! though i have another question. how do you know if you've memorized content or if you actually understand. For example, for bio I read the lecture notes and textbook sometimes but I just read and try to keep things in mind. How do I know I actually understand what I read and that I know how to apply it to other stuff? I hope you're getting an idea of what Im saying.
Old 01-21-2011 at 03:15 PM   #32
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I'm going to slap you next time I see you.
Doubt you can run as fast as me. So even if you see me you won't be able to do so. Tough luck.

Deegs14, Rakim like this.
Old 01-21-2011 at 07:01 PM   #33
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
this is really good advice. thank you!!! though i have another question. how do you know if you've memorized content or if you actually understand. For example, for bio I read the lecture notes and textbook sometimes but I just read and try to keep things in mind. How do I know I actually understand what I read and that I know how to apply it to other stuff? I hope you're getting an idea of what Im saying.
You...apply...them... to...other...stuff. i.e. If you look at Amanda's Psych 1X03 notes on MI, you'll see that she did that by applying concepts from the course to Sumit's (made-up?) life.
Old 01-21-2011 at 08:58 PM   #34
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Well one good way to ensure you truly understand something is to try to explain it to someone else. I do this with my boyfriend who is in engineering and thus would not really have any background knowledge so I try to explain something and when he doesn't understand something he will ask for clarification. I think if I am able to answer those questions it's fair to say I've truly solidified the concepts. This is also helpful because it helps point out holes in your knowledge. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is looking at the material and convincing your self you understand it but then come test time you realize you were just fooling yourself. So group work is a good way to really put your knowledge to the test.

alh24, resh.jyoti, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 05:45 PM   #35
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Smoke pot everyda- er, I mean... go to class.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 06:49 PM   #36
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Doubt you can run as fast as me. So even if you see me you won't be able to do so. Tough luck.
you're like 4 foot nothing.
Stop trying, pl0xx. virtual poop 4 u.

AlexBatt likes this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 08:12 PM   #37
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

balance your social life and school life.
-try to go to the gym twice a week
-get drunk/attend a party once a week or at least biweekly.
It sounds ridiculous but burning off ur stress allows you to stay more focused and productive.

AND speaking of productivity, go to the library and DONT bring your laptop, mp3, or any other distractions. If you need your laptop for the occasional lookup on the internet only charge it half way and dont bring the power cord. That way you can focus on your textbook, notes, and various assigned problems.
Trying to do a problem out of the textbook while half focusing on facebook, then not being able to do the problem, giving up and looking at the solutions manual is is common yet terrible way to study!

Also first year courses (especially in the sciences) have a lot of quizzes and assignments and if you are able to pass those then you are not a far behind as you think. In later years you may have very few quizzes and assignments only to realize a few days before a midterm that you really dont know anything. Learn to study now or second year will be hard. Despite being in Second year, i have to take first year courses bio 1A03 and Chem 1aa3. Both of these courses are a complete joke compared to the second year courses I have taken.
Old 01-23-2011 at 08:34 PM   #38
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
balance your social life and school life.
-try to go to the gym twice a week
-get drunk/attend a party once a week or at least biweekly.
It sounds ridiculous but burning off ur stress allows you to stay more focused and productive.

AND speaking of productivity, go to the library and DONT bring your laptop, mp3, or any other distractions. If you need your laptop for the occasional lookup on the internet only charge it half way and dont bring the power cord. That way you can focus on your textbook, notes, and various assigned problems.
Trying to do a problem out of the textbook while half focusing on facebook, then not being able to do the problem, giving up and looking at the solutions manual is is common yet terrible way to study!

Also first year courses (especially in the sciences) have a lot of quizzes and assignments and if you are able to pass those then you are not a far behind as you think. In later years you may have very few quizzes and assignments only to realize a few days before a midterm that you really dont know anything. Learn to study now or second year will be hard. Despite being in Second year, i have to take first year courses bio 1A03 and Chem 1aa3. Both of these courses are a complete joke compared to the second year courses I have taken.

Thank god for those quizzes and assignments.

Personally, I do most my studying on the computer. It's all about self-control when you're on the computer. As for the comment about getting drunk as a way of relieving stress...well, each to their own preferences. Exercising does it for me.
Old 01-23-2011 at 08:43 PM   #39
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

meh getting drunk was just my way of saying be social. Dont need to actually drink lol. Just get away from work for one night.
Old 01-24-2011 at 08:20 AM   #40
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Smoke pot everyda- er, I mean... go to class.
This. Nothing better than toking up and doing advanced calculus. Marijuana enhances my ability to focus on a given task, I can pretty much do problems non stop when high. Try it
Old 01-24-2011 at 05:49 PM   #41
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
This. Nothing better than toking up and doing advanced calculus. Marijuana enhances my ability to focus on a given task, I can pretty much do problems non stop when high. Try it
Yeah, cannabis is a co-requisite for theoretical mathematics

Old 01-24-2011 at 08:03 PM   #42
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

god, I need to find a dealer in hamilton

/veilofinternetsecrecy

Old 01-24-2011 at 08:47 PM   #43
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
god, I need to find a dealer in hamilton

/veilofinternetsecrecy
how about online...why settle for bad bud?