Gabriella* likes this.
Old 04-03-2010 at 01:15 PM   #17
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
would get old quick

and combining 3 greenhouses into 1? wtf
you know there are different types of plants and they require different conditions, like amount of sunlight, humidity, temperature, etc to grow properly
yea, i was talking about roses though, most roses generally grow under the same conditions
Old 04-03-2010 at 01:27 PM   #18
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
Better yet, get rid of the art museum
lol someone doesn't care about art.

but yeah, it must've been really beautiful when it was around. wish i could've seen it.
Old 04-03-2010 at 01:33 PM   #19
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Wow. they turned that beautiful area into that colossally ugly monolith known as the hospital? SHAMEFUL.

Flag likes this.
Old 04-03-2010 at 02:02 PM   #20
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Here are some good spots for a mini one.

Old 04-03-2010 at 02:33 PM   #21
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

those pictures look a lot like Hendrie Park (the Rose Garden) at the Royal Botannical Gardens...

my vote goes to converting Lake McMaster into the new sunken garden

lorend likes this.
Old 04-03-2010 at 02:45 PM   #22
killza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
those pictures look a lot like Hendrie Park (the Rose Garden) at the Royal Botannical Gardens...

my vote goes to converting Lake McMaster into the new sunken garden
The land was bought by the department of parks and recreations hamilton and it looks like something from the RBG because it was planted by the people from RBG. I think in the near future when the economy isn't dying or just a new president that likes to spend money on campus aesthetics, this should be seriously considered... it would no doubt make McMaster one of the nicest looking campuses in Ontario.

OR better yet, Peter George can donate his entire retirement money (apparently, the max amount a uni president can get) to Mac for this project, after all he was here when the garden was still alive.
Old 04-03-2010 at 03:56 PM   #23
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

and they could get all the coolest mac students to build it this summer so we can have a sweet job!

the sunken garden thingy being built again would be such a too cool throwback. we could all ironically walk around in it. wearing grey slacks and ties working on 2010 based science :-D so much fun. I wonder what kind of costs a thing like that would add up to? how crazy would it be to replace 1280 with an old fashion style garden and make it the msu community garden lool

Last edited by andrew22 : 04-03-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2010 at 04:06 PM   #24
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

thats awesome! its like a hidden treasure. we should definitly have another one in its place!!

there is a ton of space out on that rugby field? I've never seen anyone use it.

I'd volunteer my time to see a thing of beauty.

Don't mean to bash, but of all the places... they just had to build it there for the health sciences.

Last edited by Cassanova : 04-03-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Gabriella* likes this.
Old 04-03-2010 at 04:20 PM   #25
killza

quick, someone should start a "mcmaster students for campus aesthetics (MSCA)" club!! we can buy rose seeds with the club money and maybe hire a professional Gardner with the club money.. o man, that would be so cool.

Old 04-03-2010 at 05:07 PM   #26
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I was blown away when I saw this thread and the pictures last night! When I come to imagine it a sunken garden would be the most unique and awesome entrance way to a University! They also reminded me of this back home.

I guess the best location for a recreation of these would be the lawn infront of BSB! Other locations like behind Mohawk building or in the Rugby fields would be sort of out of place. Even if they can build a very miniature one in comparison it would be awesome; If Mac can't afford it maybe the Royal Botanical Gardens who I think first built it might be willing to do it again/share the cost "on" campus?

Or maybe Ron Joyce/MDG might be interested?

Anyone want's to start a facebook group?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-03-2010 at 05:19 PM   #27
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Seriously...if we built it, it would become my favourite study place on campus.
Old 04-03-2010 at 05:48 PM   #28
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Would be great to have something like this somewhere...

Just not sure where it could be put without pissing someone or some group off...
Old 04-03-2010 at 06:10 PM   #29
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

That... looks like it would take a lot of maintenance.
Old 04-03-2010 at 06:22 PM   #30
killza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
That... looks like it would take a lot of maintenance.
yea lol but its about 1/1000 of the maintenance it would cost to run a hospital, then again, its about 1/100 as useful as the hospital.