MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
last day to switch course? rmfldkdtm Academics 5 09-17-2010 11:20 PM
second term course switch cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-09-2010 01:26 AM
life sci 2b03 switch nadia1 Academics 2 08-19-2010 08:25 AM
How can i switch into life sciences 2?? bubblegum3 Academics 1 06-29-2010 12:42 PM
how to switch into business myInteger Academics 3 03-18-2010 01:35 PM

A switch from Life Sci to Eng?

Old 02-19-2009 at 01:31 AM   #1
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

A switch from Life Sci to Eng?
So I was wondering if it would be possible for me to switch from Life Science over to Engineering next year. The reason for that is I don't want to risk not being able to enter med school later on which was the whole point that I enrolled in the program. I want to have a good backup plan as a Science degree will not do much if I am unable to enter post graduate studies. I was thinking of switching over to Engineering and taking courses that would also make me eligible to apply for med school and dentistry. Question is, would I have to start from Engineering I if I switch for next year? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by nino : 02-19-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2009 at 06:43 AM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I'm not sure if you would have to take those courses but I think one thing you should definitely do while considering switching is to go to sci career services and talk about what's available jobwise.. that place is on the first floor of BSB right beside the associate dean's office..

Last edited by temara.brown : 02-19-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2009 at 06:47 AM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I imagine it would depend on the courses you have already taken and if they correspond - you could talk to engineering student services in the end of the annex on the second floor of JHE - they're really nice and know a lot!!
Old 02-19-2009 at 11:05 AM   #4
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

One of my housemates is in life science and he is planning on applying to med school this year, so you may not have to switch at all. As for switching over to engineering, there are several first year courses you would not take in general science, so those would have to be taken before anything else. This technically puts you in first year engineering, but you will have the opportunity to be credited for electives and the like, you would just have to take the core courses of the stream you take (chem, mech, phys, etc). Best bet is to go visit JHE A-214, they are the most helpful people in engineering.
Old 02-20-2009 at 03:27 PM   #5
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Good Luck, its too late to transfer now since the year is almost over. But you can apply next year for 1st year Engineering again. The chemistry will be credit for, the math and physics you took will not be accounted for as engineering math and physics.

Old 02-20-2009 at 09:39 PM   #6
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Your choices are:

- if your gpa is above 10, stay in life sci and continue to ace your way through life sci till u get into med school... cuz if ur grade is above 10, u have quite a decent chance at med school and at any profession in the health science/science field.. btw, one good thing about life sci is that you don't bear that much workload so all this time can be devoted towards extra-curriculars

- if your gpa is somewhere from 8-9 AND you have a high confidence level, i would still stick to life sci and improve your gpa to 10 and above... but again thats only if you feel confident right now.

- if your gpa is anything below 8 or your confidence level is low, please come to engineering because your career opps in science will be dangerously low unless you want to become a school teacher or something... if you come to eng, you have greater career chances and that also right after you graduate.. and you get co-op experience too...

the choice is yours.
Old 02-20-2009 at 09:44 PM   #7
maclover

oh and if by chance, you do consider engineering, make sure you choose a program that you like and in which you can create time for extra curriculars. Also, biomedical eng or bio and chem eng or chem eng is a great choice for an engineer aspiring to be a doctor. This is because you get to take cellular bio in 2nd year and a total of 3 chem courses(orgos) over 4 years!

so essentially what this does is that you mix life sci with engineering.
Old 02-20-2009 at 10:20 PM   #8
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Have you considered being a Physician Assistant? It seems like a great alternative to med school if you still want to do something in healthcare (as is nursing, pharmacy, physio, med. rad, etc... but thats besides the point =p). The program at Mac is 2 years long and you apply after your are done 2 years of school. Its a new program, so I would understand if you weren't so keen on pursuing it, but just putting the option out there. PA's work under the supervision of a doctor, but are allowed to diagnose, order tests, prescribe... and all that jazz.
Old 02-24-2009 at 09:20 AM   #9
JokrJon

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Hey nino,

I'm actually a first year engineering transfer. Last year I was in Life Science but by the start of second term I decided that Med School wasn't right for me. I set my sights on engineering instead. I had to go see the first year Engineering counsellor Sally Williams and she told me that I had to attain a certain average and write a letter to the dean of engineering stating why I wanted to get into Engineering.

Since only some life science courses overlap with engineering I courses, I had to transfer to first year eng to complete the remaining courses. But at least that freed up some space for me to take 2nd year courses.

If you still want to get into med school, the BioMed Engineering program is a great choice. I think you complete all of the required med school courses by third year.

Anyways, I hope that helps.
Old 02-24-2009 at 09:45 AM   #10
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Welcome to Engineering ! I must say Biomed has some high requirements, but overall great program.

Old 03-05-2009 at 03:54 PM   #11
jana

Liked: 0 Times

hey,

i am in first year life sci, and i want to transfer into engineering too. i already talked to sally williams and she told me that i have to request consideration from the associate dean of engineering. i think i am supposed to have this letter done by the end of march, but i don't know what to say and how to put it, can anyone help me out on this? thanks in advance.
also i was wondering if i do get into engineering and into the chem and bioengineering program, would i also be able to do a minor?
And is the biomed program the same as the chem and bioeng program?
Old 03-05-2009 at 04:35 PM   #12
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

As far as I know, the only way to do a minor in engineering is either to stretch out your degree another year or so, or to take society, because we don't get many electives. If you do any of the bio streams (chem/bio or elec/biomed), you can't tack on society, so I doubt you'd be able to get a minor in anything without stretching out your degree or taking summer courses. Bio streams are LIKE a bio minor anyway. That's how I see it. But I am probably wrong on some counts.

jana says thanks to Iman for this post.
Old 03-06-2009 at 09:49 AM   #13
maclover

what you can do is take chemical engineering or electrical engineering and society and in that society option, take biology focus electives... this way, you can do minor in bio and major in chemical engineering or electrical engineering...
Old 03-14-2009 at 12:31 PM   #14
jana

Liked: 0 Times

thanks for that, it was relly helpful. For the society program, can your major be anything, like say i wanted to minor in a language like french, and french studies course would i be able to do that ?
Old 03-14-2009 at 12:34 PM   #15
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Oh I forgot to mention a while ago that I decided not to switch out of Life Science.