MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching faculties RyanB Academics 0 06-01-2011 04:07 PM
Switching into Software Engineering from Computer Science julianface Academics 19 02-11-2011 09:10 AM
switching faculties? m&ms Academics 2 02-27-2010 01:32 AM
Switching faculties Needlenose Academics 5 12-30-2009 06:52 PM
Advice Needed: Switching faculties J-Met Academics 13 11-24-2009 03:32 PM

Switching Faculties before Fall 2011: Engineering ----> Science?

Old 08-01-2011 at 12:52 PM   #1
love.life

Liked: 0 Times

Switching Faculties before Fall 2011: Engineering ----> Science?
Hello MI community!!!

So this is my situation; I'm currently enrolled to start Engineering (Co-op) I starting Fall 2011, but I think I would rather go into Life Sciences instead. During the university application process, I was actually accepted into both programs, however I think I made the wrong choice. Does anyone know if it is even possible to switch into the Life Sciences program before school starts? I've had a change of heart and don't think Engineering will be right for me.

If it helps, my two registered Engineering electives that I have are PSYCH 1XO3 and 1XX3, so I know that I wouldn't have to worry about getting into those (which are required for the successful completion of 1st year Life Sciences). But to get into other courses (like Bio, Chem, Math etc) I would probably have to "appeal" to the professors to get in, right? Sorry, so many questions :/

If anyone could provide some insight or advice for me, that would be much appreciated! I would be calling the school tomorrow however, seeing as today is a statutory holiday. Hope everyone is enjoying a long weekend Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2011 at 12:57 PM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

you did not make the wrong choice. Stick with engineering you wont regret, pick a major that allows you to combine your interests in the sciences, biomedical, chemical are options.
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:14 PM   #3
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Your best bet is to talk to an academic advisor, it's very very late to be doing this so I think you'll run into a lot of trouble.
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:26 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Take Patrick.O's advise and go talk to an academic advisor ASAP!!
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:28 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Is it the responsibility that you don't want as a professional engineer? The hard work to get there? I'm curious what makes a person want to abandon a degree as a Professional to go into straight science.

This isn't meant to insult Sciences either... Fact of the matter is, the biggest difference that might change someone's mind is the realization that with the degree comes a title and responsibility to the public.
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:52 PM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Oh you will have no prob unless they have over accepted students and wont even let one person in. one of my friends who got accepted to both decided middle of welcome week that she didnt want engineering went in and less than an hour later come out as a science student

love.life says thanks to MacPack for this post.

icecubz likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 02:03 PM   #7
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

Any particular reason you dont want to do engineering over life science because everyone gets cold feet before university.
Old 08-01-2011 at 02:19 PM   #8
love.life

Liked: 0 Times

To those asking why I want to switch... the reason I want to switch is because I don't think the aspects of engineering really correlate to my interests or strengths. I'm not talking at all about physics or math; neither are a concern, because I'm a skilled, well-rounded student in most subjects. I don't think I really want to "make something new" but rather I want to "discover something new".

I see engineering as a discipline that takes what already is known and innovatively uses it to make something. More of the "how" aspect of science and math (ie; How do I make this structure stand up?)

I see science as a discipline that attempts to make advances and discoveries which help to broaden our overall understanding of the world. More of the "why" aspect of science and math (ie; Why do electrons behave the way they do when sent through a double-slit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc)

People may think that my logic is flawed, but this is my understanding based off of teachers and other people.
Old 08-01-2011 at 02:32 PM   #9
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Everyone going to University has this mode where they feel another program is superior or one's interests lie somewhere else. I myself wanted to switch programs and go into the sciences at one point, but do ask yourself. Once you switch into life sciences, would you ever regret the decision? Engineering is a great field of science and there is alot of specializations that will not only land you an exciting job but a good pay as well.

If I were you, i would go ahead and take Engineering I, experience if this is what actually interests me and if this is what i want. And after first year, i would make the switch if ido not like the program. If you still want to make the switch, talk to an academic advisor asap.

micadjems likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 02:52 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I would definitely think thoroughly about your two options before you speak to someone, but make your decision fast! Also, ask any questions you may have on here that might help you make a decision! I know Mac accepted a lot more students this year than they expected, so I'm assuming there are also more science students than expected, however, I don't see why you make the switch, just make sure you speak to someone asap so that you can get all your courses and register into Science instead if that' what you're interested in.
Old 08-01-2011 at 04:18 PM   #11
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.life View Post
To those asking why I want to switch... the reason I want to switch is because I don't think the aspects of engineering really correlate to my interests or strengths. I'm not talking at all about physics or math; neither are a concern, because I'm a skilled, well-rounded student in most subjects. I don't think I really want to "make something new" but rather I want to "discover something new".

I see engineering as a discipline that takes what already is known and innovatively uses it to make something. More of the "how" aspect of science and math (ie; How do I make this structure stand up?)

I see science as a discipline that attempts to make advances and discoveries which help to broaden our overall understanding of the world. More of the "why" aspect of science and math (ie; Why do electrons behave the way they do when sent through a double-slit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc)

People may think that my logic is flawed, but this is my understanding based off of teachers and other people.
Yeeea, not sure exactly where you're getting your info from, but it's a pretty inaccurate source. Your double slit example IS Engineering Physics. And discovering / creating something new are really the same for all practical purposes that matter to you... Do you think you want to discover a new element? Engineering will get you there. Do you think you want to discover a new way of transporting energy? That's not so much discovery any more as inventing/creating.

The difference between engineering and science is not what you think it is by any means. One gives you the theoretical understanding to a science background, the other takes that understanding and lets you eventually apply it to create/discover something, but you're also labelled as a professional in your field at this point.

Rethink this.

Last edited by mike_302 : 08-01-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2011 at 04:36 PM   #12
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I was actually wondering the same thing for a while but funnily enough I was considering going from life sci to engineering. I have decided to stick with life sci. Just think of all the options why you chose engineering in the first place. I am not telling you not to switch, just do not do it on a whim. Think really hard about it. Also, think of the end results of both. What would you do with your life sci degree and what would youdo with your eng degree? You should look at some careers you want and see the paths neccessary to get there.

P.S. Biomed eng seems like a great choice for someone interested in both bio and engineering. You could design new prosthetic limbs or pacemakers and whatnot. There is still a good deal in discovery in that field too.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:32 PM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Well (Conversationally, @ Lordnerd), what IS discovery anyways? It's not like you have to have a life sci degree to "make a discovery". Both degrees will allow this person to put their name on discoveries/inventions they are involved with... When it comes to going down that path in the future, the only difference out of University is that the Professional engineering title is available to the B. eng. grad after 4 years, which is extremely valuable...

One could go on for hours on the different specifics of what they want to teach you in Science vs. engineering, but in the end, I've had TA's in my engineering courses who are science grads, and I know engineering grads who are TA's for science students. I also know of Science grads doing Engineering Masters, and vice versa. (Note: I'm also not sayign they're the same degree, by any means... But when it comes to research and development, post-grad, you can do whatever the heck oyu want afterwards)

So, in summary, @ Jordan, buy your Eng MacPass, get ready for a [email protected] welcome week with the coolest crowd in town, and get moving toward YOUR future doing whatever the @#$% you want with an engineering degree of your choice! (Be it Eng Phys, Bio, Elec, etc.)

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-01-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:39 PM   #14
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

You must have chosen engineering for a reason. Try to think of those reasons. I'd say to go with engineering for first year, then decide.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:41 PM   #15
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

I agree with the others stick with engineering. You are getting a professional degree at the end of it and you can do whatever you want with it. You can barely pass your classes and you will still end up a professional. Unless you have a very specific goal in mind don't risk doing a LifeSci and ending up in retail or something.