MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp Eng - Comp Sci Transfer Timetable Review GCSM Academics 0 06-10-2012 10:22 AM
COMP SCI 1TA3 vs COMP SCI 1MA3 ShockValue Academics 0 06-08-2012 08:08 PM
Switching into kin PockyWarrior Academics 2 04-12-2010 07:38 PM
Switching faculties Needlenose Academics 5 12-30-2009 06:52 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM

Switching over to comp sci

Old 11-29-2012 at 06:51 AM   #1
sharmv5

Liked: 0 Times

Switching over to comp sci
I am a first year in ENG 1 and i am just doing average in python , but it appears i cannot continue with engineering my only other options are Comp sci and business . I am doing average in python less than 60 % and for the most part i found it difficult.
Old 11-29-2012 at 08:13 AM   #2
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

if your other classes together give you more than 60% average, you shouldnt be worried about it. Depending on engineering field you pick, you might not have to deal with programming again.

Also Comp Sci has quite a few programming courses, bad idea if you struggle with python.
Old 11-29-2012 at 08:21 AM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I'm confused as to why you're choices are business and Comp Sci? Are those the only 2 things you enjoy? You don't seem overly enthused about Comp Sci. I feel as if anyone in Comp Sci chose to be there because they love that program... And I've already had my run-ins with people who (after 4 years) still haven't gone on to the field of study they prefer: People like that are the WORST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD {to deal with as student peers}
Old 11-29-2012 at 08:41 AM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
if your other classes together give you more than 60% average, you shouldnt be worried about it. Depending on engineering field you pick, you might not have to deal with programming again.

Also Comp Sci has quite a few programming courses, bad idea if you struggle with python.
There are only two programming courses as far as I know. Those two are Comp Sci 1MD3 and Comp Sci 2S03. If you mean that there are a lot of courses which require you to program to complete assignments, and assume you have knowledge in a certain language and so on and so forth, then you are correct.
Old 11-29-2012 at 02:00 PM   #5
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

herBs

If he cant handle Python, don't expect him to understand either java or c++. And yeah, that's partially what I meant, there's a ton of courses with MATLAB, which very much like Python.
Old 11-29-2012 at 05:37 PM   #6
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

If you find 1D04 difficult and aren't that interested in it I'd discourage taking Comp Sci. It only gets harder than that and then they assume you are a solid programmer for the other non-programming courses (2C03, 2ME3, 3GC3 etc.)
Old 11-29-2012 at 07:11 PM   #7
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

If you are interested in 1D04 but are not doing well, you can still take up CS. I know a guy who got a 12 in 1D04 and still dropped out of SE which is very similar to the CS program. Why'd he drop out? He said he wasn't interested in the courses.

There aren't many programming courses in CS, per se. I'd say CS and SE are two programs where you should be able to think logically more than anything else.

Also when you say Business, do you mean the Business 1 program at Mac? Or do you mean Business informatics? If you mean Business 1 program, its a different field with courses including commerce and economics. If you want to go down that road, you should be a good analytically and be good with math.
Old 12-09-2012 at 11:47 PM   #8
sharmv5

Thank you everyone for posting your opinion . I have done C++ but the very basic and I did well in it in college. I just don't really want I want to get into. I am doing just average in my all courses in eng 1 i.e struggling to maintain a 4.0. I really need to know what are my other options. I did want to really pursue a career in engineering but I feel I am not capable of taking the course load .
Old 12-10-2012 at 12:22 AM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmv5 View Post
Thank you everyone for posting your opinion . I have done C++ but the very basic and I did well in it in college. I just don't really want I want to get into. I am doing just average in my all courses in eng 1 i.e struggling to maintain a 4.0. I really need to know what are my other options. I did want to really pursue a career in engineering but I feel I am not capable of taking the course load .
I'm 100% confident that you're not the only one who feels that way.
Old 12-10-2012 at 12:24 AM   #10
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I'm 100% confident that you're not the only one who feels that way.
Especially in engineering.

To the OP: I suggest lightening your course load and taking the remaining courses in the summer.

jim1, julianface like this.
Old 12-10-2012 at 06:35 AM   #11
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
As Alexmahone said, you should consider dropping some courses in term 2. The best things to do is to talk to Sally Williams about it, she will definitely help you out in terms of what options you have. Dropping some courses from term 2 is a good idea, because failing courses lowers your gpa, but dropping courses doesn't (in terms of staying at mac).

Last edited by jim1 : 12-10-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2012 at 10:33 AM   #12
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

stretch your degree out to 5 years I would say. If you switch programs or fail you'll end up doing that anyways. Take 4 courses each term, and 2 in the summer and that way it would be far easier if that's possible for you to do.
Old 12-10-2012 at 09:01 PM   #13
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

While a solid degree and the perfect program for me, Commerce is very boring, your peers are pretentious, and the lectures are awful. I wouldn't switch into it just because unless you already think of the business aspect of everything in life. You will waste your 4 years at Mac.
Old 12-13-2012 at 12:28 PM   #14
fralpals

Quote:
You could always look into Eng Phys. It's super fun, interesting but not going to lie, it is hard.