MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:25 PM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

TA - ing Physics
So I got a 12 in Physics 1D03 ... I like the material, I like the course... How might I become a TA in the future? Or do they only take grad students?
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:34 PM   #2
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

teach me physics!

for free...

I'm just trolling, I dont have any answer to your question, but I do know that grad students have priority, but undergrad students should be able to get TA positions in first yearclasses

mike_302 says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:45 PM   #3
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

From what I've heard, you can become a TA if you're in science/engineering in 2nd year if you have at least a 10 in the specific course that you want to TA. I think you need you also need a resume. I'm not sure where/how to apply though.

I was also wondering the same for Commerce. I heard you can become a TA in 3rd year. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Last edited by Jake : 01-06-2010 at 10:48 PM.

mike_302 says thanks to Jake for this post.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:50 PM   #4
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

http://physwww.physics.mcmas ter.ca...pplication.php

They usually hire grad students but you can still try. Undergrad TA's usually teach 1st yr courses, I know for eng that usually means 1c03 or 1d04.

mike_302 says thanks to zoyy for this post.
Old 01-06-2010 at 11:01 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Landry was telling me that for TA'ing, generally people like when the TA is 2 years ahead (i.e., third year for first year) minimum - it helps with the respect and maturity and whatnot. I can see what he means - some students in Year I second semster may act differently toward a second year student compared to one older.

mike_302 says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 01-06-2010 at 11:16 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

every answer was great Thanks a lot guys.... A little bit disappointing re: the difficulty to TA unless you are a grad student but I guess tutoring is always an option? Isn't PHysics 1B03 similar (but easier) than 1d03 ? Might I be able to contract myself out as an inexpensive tutor?
Old 01-07-2010 at 08:03 AM   #7
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
From what I've heard, you can become a TA if you're in science/engineering in 2nd year if you have at least a 10 in the specific course that you want to TA. I think you need you also need a resume. I'm not sure where/how to apply though.

I was also wondering the same for Commerce. I heard you can become a TA in 3rd year. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
I'm in 3rd year and I TA'd Financial Accounting for 2nd year in the fall.
The "10" cut-off is not so cut & dry, for some courses its 11, others 12, some require certain marks in multiple courses.

You get an email from the Dean's office when the jobs are posted.

Jake says thanks to james2255 for this post.
Old 01-07-2010 at 11:35 PM   #8
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2255 View Post
I'm in 3rd year and I TA'd Financial Accounting for 2nd year in the fall.
The "10" cut-off is not so cut & dry, for some courses its 11, others 12, some require certain marks in multiple courses.

You get an email from the Dean's office when the jobs are posted.
Thanks.

Old 01-08-2010 at 06:57 AM   #9
precious

Liked: 1 Time

does anyone know how I can be a ta for origins 2b03, I got a 12 in the course