MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-16-2014 at 08:07 PM   #1
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

TAing a course
Hello to all.

I have recently been hired on as a TA and so I have a few questions I'd like answered. If you guys can't help me I'll just ask the person who I have to hand in the form to tomorrow. It is my understanding that I have to attend the classes (as this is a course without a tutorial component). The issue is that I currently have another class scheduled in my timetable for that time slot (one which I really want to take). Do I have to drop that course and free up my time slot for the course I'm TAing?? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2014 at 09:33 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix450 View Post
Hello to all.

I have recently been hired on as a TA and so I have a few questions I'd like answered. If you guys can't help me I'll just ask the person who I have to hand in the form to tomorrow. It is my understanding that I have to attend the classes (as this is a course without a tutorial component). The issue is that I currently have another class scheduled in my timetable for that time slot (one which I really want to take). Do I have to drop that course and free up my time slot for the course I'm TAing?? Thanks.
This may be a question best answered by the course co-ordinator, because it can really vary for each course. If this course has no lab or tutorial component, you could be expected to do marking only or marking in addition to attending lectures and answering student questions about content either in-person or via avenue. The job posting should have some of these expectations, but if not, it's probably best to ask him/her tomorrow!
Old 12-16-2014 at 11:11 PM   #3
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

ask the professor yourself, but for accounting TA's. It should be written in your contract what your agreements are, usually you are not allowed to skip a tutorial even if you are being interviewed by big 4 firm or anything else other than death in family or accident. The professor should have checked your time table to see if you can attend lectures before hiring you so ask your prof...