MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone have Last year or previous year Tests? for Bio1M03, Chem 1A03, lalalola2011 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-06-2012 01:17 PM
First year BIO 1A03 lab 13! baldwiel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-21-2012 11:55 PM
Kinesiology 1A03/1Y03 for 1st year Life Sci Freak705 Academics 5 08-17-2009 05:11 PM
A question about the two first year Bios 1A03 and 1M03 Nosh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-13-2009 11:49 AM

Take Eng 1a03 first year or second?

Old 07-06-2014 at 08:09 PM   #1
sniper96

Liked: 1 Time

Take Eng 1a03 first year or second?
Hey I'm debating over whether to take eng 1a03 first year or second year or second year summer. Right now I have econ 1b03 and anthro 1a03 as my electives but do you think I should switch one of these for english? Is it a hard course?

I have to take 2 english courses for dental school so I'm not sure if I should get one out of the way first year. I'm not too good at essays unless I'm really passionate about it so idk if I should wait til I'm more accustomed to the uni marking style. My first term doesnt seem too bad so should I take it now? Course load will be much harder second year, right? Im in life sci btw

Any input would be nice, thanks!
Old 07-07-2014 at 12:14 AM   #2
akhan676

Liked: 2 Times

Dr. Donaldson and Hyman are really good professors so i would suggest taking it with them next year since they're both teaching 1a03 and 1aa3 (and i guess you won't really know if either of them is going to teach it in your second year or not cuz there are several other profs for both those courses too). With donaldson (1a03), he has online quizzes and tutorial participation and a small exam-questions type assignment which makes up about 30% of the mark i think, which is usually easy marks (compared to other profs who usually just have two essays and an exam (30/30/40%).

sniper96 says thanks to akhan676 for this post.
Old 07-07-2014 at 01:52 PM   #3
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

Eng 1a03 isn't hard. Its based on novels. I took it with Dr King. We had tutorials, 1 short essay and 1 longer essay and a final exam. Neither essay was long. He gave us a couple of questions for each book to write about. The tutorial teachers were good with helping writing the paper. So if your not a good writer they will show you proper citation, etc.
I enjoyed the class.
Old 07-07-2014 at 03:11 PM   #4
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Just finished it. It wasn't too bad at all. We read 6 novels, and had to write 2 essays, one 500 word, one 1500 word. No matter what, it is basically a rule in first year Canadian English that no one gets marks in the 90s range. You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find someone who does, that's just the standard for first year Canadian uni-level English.

But it's totally manageable. You really have to understand the books and it's major themes in order to make a GOOD THESIS for the essays.

I would probably get 1 English done in first year, cause if you get a bad mark, it's not so bad.