Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macroecon 1BB3 Lecture Notes thatdudeukno Academics 1 12-03-2008 05:57 PM

How to take Lecture Notes

Old 10-02-2011 at 09:51 PM   #1
Maaaaa

Liked: 0 Times

How to take Lecture Notes
I was thinking about bringing my laptop to class to take lecture notes instead of printing the ppt /pdf slides and writing side notes.

What would be a good software to use??
I want to be able to write on the slides too

I've seen people write on pdf files but i dont know how to do that :S
Old 10-02-2011 at 09:59 PM   #2
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

one option is using the lil side note feature that comes as a default on Adobe PDF.

U could "BUY" Abode Acrobat X Pro: which gives u all sorts of great tricks (used to have it, but comp. would freeze up when ever i open PDFs--> ESP if I open the comment tab)

or probably look up similar freeware.

Last edited by jon.john23 : 10-02-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2011 at 10:05 PM   #3
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

At the bottom of powerpoint below each slide, there is a section for 'notes' where you can just type all your sidenotes into.

Or you could just copy each slide word for word super fast

Desda likes this.
Old 10-02-2011 at 11:54 PM   #4
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

You can use PDF-XChange Viewer. It has a free version that allows you to create boxes to write notes in, or you can create a side note. It also has the ability to let you highlight and etc. If interested, you can get it here: http://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange...-10598377.html.

Desda likes this.
Old 10-03-2011 at 12:53 AM   #5
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
You can use PDF-XChange Viewer. It has a free version that allows you to create boxes to write notes in, or you can create a side note. It also has the ability to let you highlight and etc. If interested, you can get it here: http://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange...-10598377.html.
Dammit vp15, that's always my suggestion!

Anywho, check out this post I made a while back.

meandyou says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

Desda, meandyou like this.
Old 10-03-2011 at 06:24 AM   #6
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

mehh i never found typing notes on the computer to help me much...i find if i actually write it by hand it'll stick with me. equivalent exchange? I put in the time, effort and hard work making notes and so it stays in my head better? haha what ever works for you i guess, we are all different here
Old 10-03-2011 at 02:38 PM   #7
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

i think it depends on the course- if you find that its something where your prof draws on the slides alot then i would stick with the print outs
if its is just verbal, then anything people mentioned above works well- with my personal preference being with notes on slideshows (but not all profs will post PPs)
Old 10-07-2011 at 11:56 PM   #8
xxorianna

Liked: 5 Times

Microsoft OneNote. That is all.
Old 10-08-2011 at 10:54 AM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Unless it's English, another subject from the Humanities + Arts + Social Sciences, or your professor talks like somebody is fast forwarding them, you can get by on writing on printed PDF's. I never agreed with this until my hands got cramped up from typing everything. Even in my worst classes now, I just write lots of notes beside the slides (which is why I print 2/page). If you want a verbatim copy, just ask your professor if you can record the lecture. Once you play back a recording, you'll realise that a lot of it is not useful information as is.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-09-2011 at 05:35 AM   #10
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

I always felt disheartened when i wrote the notes from the slides shown in class only to find out that the slides were available online anyways, i'm sure writing them down improves retention but most of my profs (in Sociology) regurgitate the slides word for word and offer very little extra content that would motivate you to attend lecture instead of spending the time studying over the slides in your own time.