MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
opinions on taking BIO 2F03 vs PHYSICS 1BB3? thuks0251 Academics 2 06-29-2013 10:34 PM
Taking Chem 2OB3 during the school year after taking 2OA3 during the summer... oranges Academics 4 08-17-2011 07:47 PM
Those taking Physics/English in Summer School luna Academics 0 03-30-2011 02:08 PM

Taking Physics 1BB3 during the school year HELP!

Old 07-18-2013 at 12:07 PM   #1
TinaAbaza

Liked: 0 Times

Taking Physics 1BB3 during the school year HELP!
I took physics 1B03 a year and a half ago and got a 7. I am more of an 11/12 student and realistically, I need an 11/12 in physics 1BB3.

Do you think there's a chance of this happening during the school year? Would I be at a big disadvantage by not taking it in the summer?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2013 at 12:16 PM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

You are in fourth year right? Doubt the work load will be any harder than anything you've seen so far. Plus Phys 1BB3 is more of high school level of physics. You will do fine.
Old 07-18-2013 at 12:23 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

tons of people get 11 n 12 in 1bb3. a 4th year shouldnt have these kinds of worries.
Old 07-25-2013 at 11:12 PM   #4
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

This course is no longer an EASY 11/12. This course requires tons of work, whether you take it during the summer or during the year. The TAs have increased the level of difficulty in marking the labs and most of the material which is built on 1B03 is considered ASSUMED knowledge. I suggest you think it through carefully before taking this course because it will be a heavy work-load and it is becoming more like 1b03 every year. The labs take up the most time and they require you to have some sort of background in stats (even though its not a prereq).

TinaAbaza says thanks to bobsingh for this post.
Old 07-26-2013 at 07:06 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I took 1BB3 last year. While I enjoy and understand the physics I've learned so far, this was not a light course by any standards. Easily one of the toughest, most demanding and rigorous courses I've taken. There appears to be a clear change in teaching styles, as most professors realise that upper years are taking the course. When you get into quantum material, things become even more challenging. As another poster said, I would evaluate why you did poorly in 1B03 and whether these obstacles are ones you can overcome with time/hard work. If it was because of difficulty understanding the material on a conceptual level or just a discomfort with physics, you may want to reevaluate why you are taking the course (especially because there's been a time delay between 1B03 and 1BB3) or consider getting a tutor.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

TinaAbaza says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.