MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Returns: What all can we claim? huzaifa47 Financial Aid 4 05-10-2010 04:33 PM
Text Book Returns janeller General Discussion 2 01-07-2009 10:26 PM
SOLAR returns at midnight Chad MacInsiders Announcements 27 07-14-2008 08:57 AM

Tax Returns

Old 09-01-2009 at 02:45 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Tax Returns
I know we can file Tuition Tax Returns, Textbook Tax Returns and even get a tax return on our GO monthly passes...

My question is: How much is the return on our tuition and our GO passes?
Thanks very much

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-01-2009 at 02:50 PM   #2
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I know we can file Tuition Tax Returns, Textbook Tax Returns and even get a tax return on our GO monthly passes...

My question is: How much is the return on our tuition and our GO passes?
Thanks very much
For the GO passes, you get 15% of the amount you pay for the monthly passes.
http://www.transitpass.ca/about_e.asp

goodnews.inc says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 09-01-2009 at 03:33 PM   #3
myster

Liked: 10 Times

The real question should be:

Can we claim the federal transit tax credit on the amount we paid for our HSR passes?
Old 09-01-2009 at 03:38 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukalra View Post
For the GO passes, you get 15% of the amount you pay for the monthly passes.
http://www.transitpass.ca/about_e.asp
Does that only apply for the monthly passes, or the 10-ride pass for example?
Old 09-01-2009 at 03:41 PM   #5
myster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Does that only apply for the monthly passes, or the 10-ride pass for example?
only monthly.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to myster for this post.
Old 09-01-2009 at 03:46 PM   #6
myster

I would like to add that transit credits are NON-REFUNDABLE tax credits (compared to tuition credits which can be carried over into future years) so that means it only makes sense to claim it if you made over 10,320 this year as that's the federal basic amount.

So, if you made under that amount, it'll be better for you to give it to your parents to claim it. ** The legality of that action shall not be discussed in this thread **

**"it" being the transit passes

Last edited by myster : 09-01-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: edited for clarity of "it"
Old 09-01-2009 at 04:02 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Can we still file a tax return and claim the credits if we didn't have any income this year?
Does our income level affect the amount of tax credits on transit & tuition that we receive?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-01-2009 at 04:07 PM   #8
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Can we still file a tax return and claim the credits if we didn't have any income this year?
Does our income level affect the amount of tax credits on transit & tuition that we receive?
yes, it effects what amount of your income is taxable. The Credit is a reduction in taxable income [line 150] - not a "refund" of cash. It makes no sense to file the credits if you made "0" taxable income.

In terms of someone before mentioning the transferring of the Tuition credit (T2202A i believe) its 100% legal to do so, you just fill out the transfer form on the T2202A - I usually transfer to my parents because as they are in a higher tax bracket it effects their return more more significantly and we distribute the difference.

goodnews.inc says thanks to james2255 for this post.
Old 09-01-2009 at 04:22 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

That's disappointing. I would have liked a refund.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-01-2009 at 04:49 PM   #10
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster View Post
The real question should be:

Can we claim the federal transit tax credit on the amount we paid for our HSR passes?
I actually did claim on the amount paid for HSR pass last year.
Old 09-01-2009 at 05:57 PM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Okay So this is one of the few things that I simply don't understand: Taxes! :(
Sooo Assuming I make around 700-1000 a year this year from part time sales jobs off campus & seasonal jobs on campus.

So what do I do then for my "tax returns"? I am having tax deducted from my current job at Shell(Like $21 for a $280 payheck) and then there is this thing about tax credits for tuition fee related stuff :S How can I claim it?

What should I do next year when the tax filing season comes along?(In Jan/Feb comes along I think)

:(

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-01-2009 at 06:04 PM   #12
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Sooo Assuming I make around 700-1000 a year this year from part time sales jobs off campus & seasonal jobs on campus.

So what do I do then for my "tax returns"? I am having tax deducted from my current job at Shell(Like $21 for a $280 payheck) and then there is this thing about tax credits for tuition fee related stuff :S How can I claim it?

What should I do next year when the tax filing season comes along?(In Jan/Feb comes along I think)

At the end of the tax year - and close to the reporting cycle (Feb/March) you will be mailed all your statements from your employer (This is typically called a T4). Your T4 has your gross income, amount of taxes deducted, EI and CPP contributions etc.

For your tuition you use a similar slip called a T2202A which outlines your tuition&residence costs.

You then should gather up all other supporting documents (Receipts for public trainst, rent receipts, realized gains on investments, scholarships etc).

Once all information is gathered, you have two options. 1) Buy tax software (quicktax etc) or 2) use a free tax booklet which you can pick up from any canada post.

As I want to be an accountant one day I have only gone the traditional way and used the booklet - this way it lets me see how the numbers relate to eachother, which lines are meaningful, and how the all contribute to determing your final tax expense.

The software on the other hand, is very straight forward. you just plug in the numbers it tells you to from your supporting documents and print out the results.

Bottom line choice is up to you, but its all very straight forward. Once you have gathered all your supporting documents, you basically follow all the instructions from either the booklet or the software.

huzaifa47 says thanks to james2255 for this post.
Old 09-01-2009 at 06:49 PM   #13
myster

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2255 View Post
In terms of someone before mentioning the transferring of the Tuition credit (T2202A i believe) its 100% legal to do so, you just fill out the transfer form on the T2202A - I usually transfer to my parents because as they are in a higher tax bracket it effects their return more more significantly and we distribute the difference.
I was talking about the legality of transferring transit pass credits to someone who did not use the actual transit pass.

I know it's legal to transfer tuition credits from dependants to parents.
Old 09-01-2009 at 06:53 PM   #14
myster

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

You can get that $21/paycheque without having to claim anything since your 700-1000/year is well less of the $10k or so personal tax credit.
Old 09-01-2009 at 06:56 PM   #15
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster View Post
You can get that $21/paycheque without having to claim anything since your 700-1000/year is well less of the $10k or so personal tax credit.
hmm as in? You are implying that I can just request for the amount that adds up as employee tax at the end of the year or that it will automatically be mailed back to me; WITHOUT filling out the complicated forms? :S

I'm sorry for the thickness! This is one subject that Is completely beyond me :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13