MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-27-2009 at 02:54 PM   #1
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Taxi
What is the starting fee for Hamilton Cabs?
Are they expensive??
Old 09-27-2009 at 02:55 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
What is the starting fee for Hamilton Cabs?
Are they expensive??

Where are you trying to get to? The distance (obviously) makes things cost different. If you're taking a van the cost will usually be higher too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-27-2009 at 03:11 PM   #3
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

they are still pretty expensive. I think it starts at $2.50. vans take an extra $10 or something.

I prefer bus.. but if your out late partying then I guess there is nothing else besides a cab...
Old 09-27-2009 at 03:32 PM   #4
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

It costs me $20 exactly to get from Ancaster Meadowlands to Westdale! That too via the 403/Link!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-27-2009 at 04:18 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Hmm, nah, they start at 3 something. I think it took about 15-20 dollars to get from downtown to IWC at McMaster, yeah, it was kind of ridiculous [but I was about to be late for exam ].
Old 09-27-2009 at 08:27 PM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

i dunno about the priciness of it when compared to other university towns...
Old 09-27-2009 at 08:31 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well there is a solution though; If you are of the same ethnic background(works better if its the same country!) try asking for a fixed/flat rate! If where you are going is a popular/route the driver and you have already taken you can get a discount...hard to explain but like I paid $15 on a route that costs $22 according to the meter when I asked for a flat rate because the driver was Pakistani. He just asked me how much do I want to pay/have and I said $15 and he was like okay!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-28-2009 at 09:03 AM   #8
phlipside101

Liked: 1 Time

you don't have to be the same ethnic background lol the drivers are often open to the idea no matter where you're from, and I've also had them offer their card - if you call the cabbie directly, they'll give you a cheaper fare since they always get your business when they're on duty and it bypasses dispatch.
Old 09-28-2009 at 11:15 AM   #9
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Ya I remember one time I took a cab from Stoney Creek to the University, and he gave us a fixed rate, and it only cost 25$ which was supposed to be 40$ (according to the meter). And if I remember correctly it was a van.

Old 09-30-2009 at 06:05 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlipside101 View Post
you don't have to be the same ethnic background lol the drivers are often open to the idea no matter where you're from, and I've also had them offer their card - if you call the cabbie directly, they'll give you a cheaper fare since they always get your business when they're on duty and it bypasses dispatch.
Yeah agreed you don't have to be the same ethnic background as the cab driver to do this. I doubt that helps much at all, its probably more important that you're nice about it and think to ask.

I think a cab driver gave my mom his card b/c she would call him whenever the family wanted to get to the airport b/c he said he'd give her a flat rate for it. We've only done it 2-3 times but he gave us a good flat rate for calling him directly or something, or asking for him. I'm not sure what she did but she just asked for a deal.

This wasn't in Hamilton though.