MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Career Fair -Networking Reception Graduating Students Alison MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-18-2010 02:27 PM
International Volunteer Networking Breakfast Sept 29, 2010 Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-27-2010 12:33 PM
The ABC's of Long Distance Friendships goodnews.inc Misc 17 07-21-2009 04:47 PM
Not-for-profit networking opportunities Chad General Discussion 0 03-11-2008 01:16 AM

Is technology/social networking affecting friendships?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/fa...=r ss&emc=rss

What are your thoughts?
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-03-2010 at 09:47 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
No kidding! When all of this began to explode, things like MSN and Facebook, I originally thought that it would only really affect teenagers writing skills. I remember sitting in class in grade 12, and our teacher was telling us the horror stories of the grade 9's who would actually use "MSN-speak" in their essays. We were horrified personally, and I thought jeeze, how is this going to affect people intellectually. Nevermind the effects of sitting at your computer for hours on end and messing with your health in different ways.

Now it's a whole other thing, I admit, I find it easier to text than call someone especially if I'm in a situation where I don't feel like calling. It's not just because half the people I know live cities away but because it's just easier and the phone calls that I actually do have, don't last really long except for the occasional hours long conversation. Now it's really catching on, cell phone carries are pushing deals like unlimited texting and phones that make it ridiculously easier to text as well.

I think it also has to deal with the fact that people tend to feel more comfortable in their own homes, lurking on Facebook than actually going out sometimes. It doesn't necessarily bring anonymity but a certain degree almost. That's why people find online chatrooms so alluring because you don't have to interact with people, and the potential awkwardness that comes with that, and you can say whatever you want because it's anonymous.

But I guess we'll see what this does to friendships in the coming years. I know through studies in sociology, that compared to forty years ago, the amount of people that you consider really close friends has minimized to almost zero. We feel that these days, there isn't anybody, not even really your family, who you can talk to about serious problems.

Old 05-03-2010 at 10:33 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
I think its all bullshit to be honest.

I used to be of the opinon that txtsp33k would make kids crazy inarticulate and just make people in general dumber, but its forced people to learn skills they otherwise wouldn't have (techno skills that used to be only for nerds). Now it seems that kids are getting more interested in computers and technlogy that its actually seemed to work in the opposite way.
(reminds me of this article too)

Learning and using stupid text speak has only really just increased my vocabulary more than anything; i just like to switch speaking styles for fun.

Social networking is only a good thing too, in my opinion, its easier to express yourself (and to a wider audience) over the internet than to some random people in person, which i'm not really good at. Meh.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search