MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-27-2014 at 01:38 AM   #1
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Teddy Saull
From your experience in the PNB department,

Do you agree that the style of education being used by Dr. Joe Kim, whereby amateur online videos are used instead of actual lectures, and are watched by a few thousand students paying a very high price for very little, is extremely harmful to higher-education and is a direct movement towards industrializing, depersonalizing, and profiteering off of students consistent with a neo-liberal shift inthe ways university exists.

It is worrying to think if more classes like this come into existence in the future.

Would you fight this practice if you became MSU president?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014 at 02:42 AM   #2
qamarh

Liked: 14 Times

^ I don't know about you but I actually really like the Introductory Psych course structure. I can rewind and watch the modules whenever I want. If I have questions, the TAs are always there (through email or the google hangouts or even the intropsych chat room).

Just offering another perspective: For some, it might actually be a better means of learning.

Old 01-27-2014 at 02:49 AM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

fyi, I'm not on Teddy's campaign team, and I'm not a supporter of any of the candidates as I'm still undecided, but I felt a need to respond because I'm in PNB.

Dr. Kim's online lectures are not "amateur", they are based on proven pedagogical research which he's been conducting for close to two decades. The course is a direct product of his research. Furthermore, the course is not depersonalized. In first year I sat in lecture halls with 500 students in courses that didn't even have a single tutorial. THAT is depersonalization. Intropsych has weekly tutorials where you're in a class of less than 30 with a TA who knows you on a name to name basis. In second term, there are tutorials and Dr. Kim also does a weekly live lecture to supplement the online videos.

I understand that not everyone likes the videos and it can be a big change coming from high school. I personally don't agree with converting all courses to web lectures, but in intropsych the web lectures are supplemented by the learning experience in the classroom and that makes it more comfortable. In the web lectures, you can follow along at your own pace, search through the notes, and find resources and extra videos all in one place, which enriches the learning experience imo compared to sitting bored in a classroom with 500 people for one hour.

Old 01-27-2014 at 06:24 AM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Guess Saull is away and can't answer those questions.... we better call him!

Old 02-23-2014 at 11:17 PM   #5
karven

Liked: 1 Time

I agree ooburii views: I understand that not everyone likes the videos. Because everyone is thinking there are limitations, we may not understand why he would like the video, just like people do not understand why I so love rilakkuma teddy bear(toyswill.com/rilakkuma-with-bread-in-the-hands-2pcs-p-687.html), like, because everyone is unique.

Entropy likes this.
Old 02-24-2014 at 07:11 AM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

my main complaint is that 1st year psych covers too much content. i swear its like 3 classes combined in one. what i learned in a 50 min psych lecture in 1xx3 took like 6 lectures to learn in kin 1y03

bradyr likes this.
Old 02-24-2014 at 02:23 PM   #7
camelsrfun

Liked: 12 Times

joe kim is a cruel mistress ....
Old 02-24-2014 at 10:06 PM   #8
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
my main complaint is that 1st year psych covers too much content. i swear its like 3 classes combined in one. what i learned in a 50 min psych lecture in 1xx3 took like 6 lectures to learn in kin 1y03
Agreed 100%, that exam was harder than any bio exam I wrote in first year.
Old 02-24-2014 at 10:06 PM   #9
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

Will teddy be implementing the freedom credit idea Jacob Brodka had? It was a great idea that could really encourage students to pursue something out of their comfort zone
Old 02-24-2014 at 11:05 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

come to eng