MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-30-2008 at 01:44 AM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Telephones in Res
If you wanted to use the phones in your res room to call home (oakville, burlington, mississaga) places closeby to Hamilton, are you charged something or billed?

And what if you wanted to call another res room, say someone in hedden or brandon or w.e, how about that.

Also, what if people want to call you, im hoping all this is mostly free because iv payed enough lol.
Old 08-30-2008 at 02:17 AM   #2
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
If you wanted to use the phones in your res room to call home (oakville, burlington, mississaga) places closeby to Hamilton, are you charged something or billed?

And what if you wanted to call another res room, say someone in hedden or brandon or w.e, how about that.

Also, what if people want to call you, im hoping all this is mostly free because iv payed enough lol.
To make long-distance phone calls from your res phone, you'll have to register for that here and it will cost you a bit (more info on the web site).

As for res-to-res, just simply dial your friend's 5-digit extension number and you'll be connected to him/her. If you don't remember the extension number, you can always press 0 which dials to the McMaster operator. Give your friend's full name and then you'll be transferred to your friend. Your friends'll be able to do the same. Res-to-res phone calls are free-of-charge. =)
Old 08-30-2008 at 02:48 AM   #3
Ruggedman

So im guessing Hamilton to Burlington, or Hamilton to Oakville, or basically Hamilton to anywhere but Hamilton is long distance?

And where when and how do we pay these charges?

Cant even call home without paying McMaster....the school is a f****** theif.
Old 08-30-2008 at 10:22 AM   #4
amplified

This is why you get a fab5 or fab10 plan with your mobility company, allowing you unlimited long distance calls with certain chosen people. A lot of companies have it now.

Could be cheaper.
Old 08-30-2008 at 11:35 AM   #5
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I always use First Choice phone cards to call Toronto almost every night. I've gone through a lot of the phone cards and plans, and I've found that First Choice is the best deal.
Old 08-30-2008 at 12:23 PM   #6
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Hamilton to Burlington is definitely a local call. Oakville, probably not. You'll get a bill every month that needs to be paid if you use the University's long distance plan, which isn't too bad in terms of rates. Alternatively, you can use phone cards with a local access number, like Mitch suggested. Incoming calls are always free, regardless of where they're from.
Old 08-30-2008 at 09:23 PM   #7
Ruggedman

Where and how do u get billed?
Old 08-31-2008 at 09:44 PM   #8
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

You get an emailed invoice (my roommate and I always got duplicates, which was weird...) attached as a pdf, that details all your outgoing long distance calls. I always just paid the bill online through my bank's website as soon as I got the invoice, so that I wouldn't forget haha.
Old 09-01-2008 at 06:20 PM   #9
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
I always use First Choice phone cards to call Toronto almost every night. I've gone through a lot of the phone cards and plans, and I've found that First Choice is the best deal.

Bell Canada is offering a bad a** deal..u can get a phone line for $5 activation fee and a 4$ fee per month! Sweet! You can order online and give it a shot!