MacInsiders Logo

Tell it Like it is!

Old 03-27-2011 at 08:27 PM   #1
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Tell it Like it is!
This is the man. Just one example of his criticism that others like myself are to afraid to point out.

"For the next time (if) you run this course:

Let me preface this by saying that I know for a fact that the slides for the lectures for this course have not changed at all since 2007 or perhaps even prior to that. Actually, some have been reformatted to look worse over time. Now, please;

1. Pick a different font other than Comic Sans MS, it's quite frankly hard to look at for extended periods of time, and doesn't seem professional.

2. Don't try to cram a ton of information on one slide. It's okay if there are more slides, we can deal with it. What we can't deal with is plenty of slides in recent lectures that are essentially a textbook page copy/pasted onto it.

2a. If you're going to list out a bunch of 'related factors' to something (e.g. last slide of lecture 27), please use bullet points or roman numerals to streamline it a bit.

3. For the love of god think of a different method of teaching the subject other than relying on "if you want the full notes, fill in the blanks!", it's actually counter productive. Due to the fact that the lectures are at 5:30PM and everyone is tired (including Dr. McClelland), I see more people listening to their iPods or napping only to raise their head with each new slide to fill in the blanks than actually listening to the lecture. I think a lot of this is a result of the evening lecture slot, the organization (or lack thereof) of the powerpoint slides, and lack of integration.

4. Stop creating diagrams in powerpoint, a vast majority of them are very confusing and basically say the same thing as the image you copy/pasted from the textbook image gallery on the previous slide.

5. If you insist on using 'filling in the blanks' to teach (and to force people to come to lecture), please format the blanks correctly so that the ________ spacing is relative to what was taken out/needs to be put back in (for those who print the slides and don't bring a laptop/notepad to class to take down the blanks).

6. (Personal note, at least, I feel this way) - Please don't try to 'simplify' concepts by using pseudo-layman terms and descriptors, some of us get very frustrated when what we believe is a new concept/term is really just re-phrasing of something we've known for years now.

7. I've been finding a LOT of grammatical and spelling errors in almost every single lecture slide, again, it can be distracting/confusing.

That's all. I have no qualms with the quality of the teaching or course material itself, just these few points which I think are valid enough to be considered so that future years can benefit from a few potential tweaks.

The labs do suck though :("

Posted on A2L
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:40 PM   #2
m0ns13ur

Liked: 2 Times

Out of curiosity, what course is this?
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:42 PM   #3
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
This is the man. Just one example of his criticism that others like myself are to afraid to point out.

"For the next time (if) you run this course:

Let me preface this by saying that I know for a fact that the slides for the lectures for this course have not changed at all since 2007 or perhaps even prior to that. Actually, some have been reformatted to look worse over time. Now, please;

1. Pick a different font other than Comic Sans MS, it's quite frankly hard to look at for extended periods of time, and doesn't seem professional.

2. Don't try to cram a ton of information on one slide. It's okay if there are more slides, we can deal with it. What we can't deal with is plenty of slides in recent lectures that are essentially a textbook page copy/pasted onto it.

2a. If you're going to list out a bunch of 'related factors' to something (e.g. last slide of lecture 27), please use bullet points or roman numerals to streamline it a bit.

3. For the love of god think of a different method of teaching the subject other than relying on "if you want the full notes, fill in the blanks!", it's actually counter productive. Due to the fact that the lectures are at 5:30PM and everyone is tired (including Dr. McClelland), I see more people listening to their iPods or napping only to raise their head with each new slide to fill in the blanks than actually listening to the lecture. I think a lot of this is a result of the evening lecture slot, the organization (or lack thereof) of the powerpoint slides, and lack of integration.

4. Stop creating diagrams in powerpoint, a vast majority of them are very confusing and basically say the same thing as the image you copy/pasted from the textbook image gallery on the previous slide.

5. If you insist on using 'filling in the blanks' to teach (and to force people to come to lecture), please format the blanks correctly so that the ________ spacing is relative to what was taken out/needs to be put back in (for those who print the slides and don't bring a laptop/notepad to class to take down the blanks).

6. (Personal note, at least, I feel this way) - Please don't try to 'simplify' concepts by using pseudo-layman terms and descriptors, some of us get very frustrated when what we believe is a new concept/term is really just re-phrasing of something we've known for years now.

7. I've been finding a LOT of grammatical and spelling errors in almost every single lecture slide, again, it can be distracting/confusing.

That's all. I have no qualms with the quality of the teaching or course material itself, just these few points which I think are valid enough to be considered so that future years can benefit from a few potential tweaks.

The labs do suck though :("

Posted on A2L
I couldn't think of anything to say because I have no idea what you're talking about .
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:45 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Dick move to post that on Avenue. That must be really embarrassing for the professor. It could've gone in an e-mail if he just had to say it - it's not like he'd be getting in less trouble if he posted it on Avenue, or more if it was done privately.

Funny, though.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:48 PM   #5
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

LOLOL THIS IS THE WORK Of KENDOON.

He's still alive out there.

Also, Physiology 2A03.

britb, Entropy like this.
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:49 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

This is Bio 2A03 by the way, and wow, I thought the discussion boards after Test 2 were bad =/... I definitely agree with some points though. Oh and the labs made me want to kill myself -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
LOLOL THIS IS THE WORK Of KENDOON.

He's still alive out there.

Also, Physiology 2A03.
Bahaha I had a feeling it was him
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:52 PM   #7
Revolution1

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ns13ur View Post
Out of curiosity, what course is this?
Bio 2A03 - Animal Physiology. I agree with everything he said. The guy who posted this is quite outspoken, and he insulted another course similarly last term.

m0ns13ur says thanks to Revolution1 for this post.
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:53 PM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Sebastian <3
Old 03-27-2011 at 08:57 PM   #9
alh24
Elite Member

Bold move. Is the professor actually that bad?
Old 03-27-2011 at 09:02 PM   #10
Revolution1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Bold move. Is the professor actually that bad?
Well, he didn't actually insult the professor's quality of teaching, though I must say that he (the professor) is indeed quite awful. All the points that he (Sebastian) brought up are quite true, though.

Last edited by Revolution1 : 03-27-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2011 at 09:11 PM   #11
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution1 View Post
Well, he didn't actually insult the professor's quality of teaching, though I must say that he (the professor) is indeed quite awful. All the points that he (Sebastian) brought up are quite true, though.
Fair enough. I suppose I read it a little more mean-spirited than it was probably intended to be. Poor guy, though.
Old 03-27-2011 at 09:23 PM   #12
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

where is this i don't see it on the discussion board!
Old 03-27-2011 at 09:25 PM   #13
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

and this course is quite awful
Old 03-27-2011 at 09:25 PM   #14
Revolution1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Fair enough. I suppose I read it a little more mean-spirited than it was probably intended to be. Poor guy, though.
Nah... poor us students who have to suffer through this course (particularly the labs)!
Old 03-27-2011 at 09:48 PM   #15
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
where is this i don't see it on the discussion board!
General Questions & Discussion and then scroll down until you find
Please, Dr. McClelland/Mrs. Leech (constructive criticism) posted at 2PM earlier today.