Old 03-28-2011 at 12:39 AM   #31
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
I just posed that because i have a man crush for young leo

:(

Fixed that for you. He does look a lot better now that he had some age on him. But if young boys is what you prefer it is up to you. Here is a peek though.

Old 03-28-2011 at 12:45 AM   #32
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Fixed that for you. He does look a lot better now that he had some age on him. But if young boys is what you prefer it is up to you.
Hilarious.

Agreed, though. Leo got much better with age, as did Brad Pitt. I didn't find either as good-looking when they were younger.
Old 03-28-2011 at 07:51 AM   #33
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
This is the man. Just one example of his criticism that others like myself are to afraid to point out.

"For the next time (if) you run this course:

Let me preface this by saying that I know for a fact that the slides for the lectures for this course have not changed at all since 2007 or perhaps even prior to that. Actually, some have been reformatted to look worse over time. Now, please;

1. Pick a different font other than Comic Sans MS, it's quite frankly hard to look at for extended periods of time, and doesn't seem professional.

2. Don't try to cram a ton of information on one slide. It's okay if there are more slides, we can deal with it. What we can't deal with is plenty of slides in recent lectures that are essentially a textbook page copy/pasted onto it.

2a. If you're going to list out a bunch of 'related factors' to something (e.g. last slide of lecture 27), please use bullet points or roman numerals to streamline it a bit.

3. For the love of god think of a different method of teaching the subject other than relying on "if you want the full notes, fill in the blanks!", it's actually counter productive. Due to the fact that the lectures are at 5:30PM and everyone is tired (including Dr. McClelland), I see more people listening to their iPods or napping only to raise their head with each new slide to fill in the blanks than actually listening to the lecture. I think a lot of this is a result of the evening lecture slot, the organization (or lack thereof) of the powerpoint slides, and lack of integration.

4. Stop creating diagrams in powerpoint, a vast majority of them are very confusing and basically say the same thing as the image you copy/pasted from the textbook image gallery on the previous slide.

5. If you insist on using 'filling in the blanks' to teach (and to force people to come to lecture), please format the blanks correctly so that the ________ spacing is relative to what was taken out/needs to be put back in (for those who print the slides and don't bring a laptop/notepad to class to take down the blanks).

6. (Personal note, at least, I feel this way) - Please don't try to 'simplify' concepts by using pseudo-layman terms and descriptors, some of us get very frustrated when what we believe is a new concept/term is really just re-phrasing of something we've known for years now.

7. I've been finding a LOT of grammatical and spelling errors in almost every single lecture slide, again, it can be distracting/confusing.

That's all. I have no qualms with the quality of the teaching or course material itself, just these few points which I think are valid enough to be considered so that future years can benefit from a few potential tweaks.

The labs do suck though :("

Posted on A2L
people really seem to hate this course this year. :c I like it. His slides suit me pretty well, since I copy them over and study from those notes...

But 5:30 fill in the blanks is killer. I admit I'm usually less than halfway present, but we're lucky lectures are set up so we can get away with it.

...I didn't find the labs an issue. Time consuming and evil, but not an avergae killer, but I think I got lucky with a good Ta (Si <3).

But maybe I'm just sticking up for my hommies...
-runs over the Avenue-

Last edited by britb : 03-28-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2011 at 08:47 AM   #34
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Sebastian knows how to speak his mind.

There is a lot more of this. Thanks to him we got 2 extra marks on Test 2 but I think its just a bribe to get students to shutup. There was a lot wrong with that test, worth more than 2 marks.
Old 03-28-2011 at 08:58 AM   #35
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

fun stuff :(
Old 03-28-2011 at 09:27 AM   #36
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
Sebastian knows how to speak his mind.

There is a lot more of this. Thanks to him we got 2 extra marks on Test 2 but I think its just a bribe to get students to shutup. There was a lot wrong with that test, worth more than 2 marks.
Future boss right there from the look of it.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:05 AM   #37
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

deleted .
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:18 AM   #38
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Personally, I find the lecturer and the course theory to be great. However, yes the labs need a bit of organization and restructuring. But saying that I didn't find them to be overkill. Relating to what was being said post test #2 I found uncalled for. But I guess its traditionally those that didn't do well or as well as they would have liked that find the need to criticize the instructors testing methodology. I have always found this to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Dick move to post that on Avenue. That must be really embarrassing for the professor. It could've gone in an e-mail if he just had to say it - it's not like he'd be getting in less trouble if he posted it on Avenue, or more if it was done privately.

Funny, though.
After reading the post on A2L I initially felt the same way and that opinion hasn't really changed. I guess I feel students concerns should be addressed privately.

alh24 likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 12:29 PM   #39
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
After reading the post on A2L I initially felt the same way and that opinion hasn't really changed. I guess I feel students concerns should be addressed privately.
I disagree.

As you can observe, a lot of students will grunt through the course instead of providing well deserve criticism. By posting this in a public forum, an outlet is provided and it encourage others to participate when they usually won't. This is why if you read the news, the police will ask for further victims to come forward after an incident. People don't like to lead but love to follow.