i wana change my program , i wana go environmental science
Old 10-07-2010 at 09:37 PM   #47
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
My advice? Whatever it is you do, work 110% at it. If you hate it, you can switch, but at least you can look back and be proud at what you did. If you love it, and find out in 3rd or 4th year it is what you want to "do" you are going to wish you worked harder earlier on. Opportunities will make themselves apparent to anyone who is good at anything they do. Whatever you have fun doing, do it; if you find something else you enjoy MORE, do that.
This is excellent, EXCELLENT advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Social work is probably the only program where it's normal to call your prof by first name, and considered strange and awkward if you call them by last name.

Just sayin'
Haha. Indigenous Studies is the same way, partially because it is a small department!

-----

I started out in Psych, and hated it. In second year I became an Anthro major, and for third year I became a combined Honours student in Anthro and Cultural Studies. After finishing that degree, I started a second honours degree in English with a minor in Indigenous Studies.

I loved my years at Mac, and miss it a lot! Although I learned a LOT in classes, it is what I did outside of class - both extra-curriculars, volunteering and part-time work - that really made the difference for me and helped me learn the skills I needed that I applied to the workforce.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-07-2010 at 09:38 PM   #48
Souks

Liked: 0 Times

Have you ever considered Kinesiology? Are you more interested in HUMAN related science, or just the general bio/chem/physics, etc...? Cause I loved bio in high school when we were studying human stuff, but everything else just bored me. I got accepted to both Kin and Life Sci with an 87% in 2nd semester, but in the end I chose Kin over life sci. Cause I knew I wouldn't be able to bear the whole Bio/Chem/Physics thing over again (even though I did pretty well in those classes in high school). And I'm still taking science classes, but they're all related to only the human body, which is good and i'm taking some life sci courses too, so you can still go for the chem and physics even if you're in Kin...oh and the program is only around 200 people

teedee says thanks to Souks for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 09:45 PM   #49
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

I started out in Psych, and hated it. In second year I became an Anthro major, and for third year I became a combined Honours student in Anthro and Cultural Studies. After finishing that degree, I started a second honours degree in English with a minor in Indigenous Studies.
How can you hate psych its so interesting D:

I would have done honours bio + psych, but i hate the tests in psych

I guess i just answered my own question
Old 10-07-2010 at 09:50 PM   #50
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Why would you want to go to McMaster? This place sucks. The people suck, the facilities suck, the profs suck.

Don't set your standards so low.

xxsumz says thanks to eullwm for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 10:00 PM   #51
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
the profs suck.
For the most part, yes.

Are you watching Lincecum dominate out there?
Old 10-07-2010 at 10:20 PM   #52
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Don't follow the "if you like physics and math, go for engineering" line. If you like to know why things in math or physics are the way they are, look into the math or physics programs at Mac - now, if you don't really care all that stuff, eng works...

Last edited by Mahratta : 10-07-2010 at 10:28 PM.

teedee says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 10:26 PM   #53
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Honours Chemical Biology Ftw
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

nerual likes this.
Old 10-07-2010 at 10:36 PM   #54
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Why would you want to go to McMaster? This place sucks. The people suck, the facilities suck, the profs suck.

Don't set your standards so low.
Why are you still at Mac then? There are plenty of other universities you can transfer to.
Old 10-07-2010 at 10:38 PM   #55
eullwm
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
Why are you still at Mac then? There are plenty of other universities you can transfer to.
Like hell I'm pissing away a year or more having to re-do courses because they only accept a certain number for transfers. I'm not dumping more time and money down the toilet like that-- that's even dumber than coming to this garbage school.

Old 10-07-2010 at 10:46 PM   #56
aani

Liked: 9 Times

You can definitely transfer into health sci after a year in life sci (that's what i did), and you won't be a year behind or anything

teedee says thanks to aani for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 11:19 PM   #57
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Like hell I'm pissing away a year or more having to re-do courses because they only accept a certain number for transfers. I'm not dumping more time and money down the toilet like that-- that's even dumber than coming to this garbage school.
You're already pissing away a year, you're taking Management for god's sake. You're better off getting a M.Eng degree if you wish to stay for another year. So technically, you already dumped more money than needed.

Management, Societies and all of the mumbo jumbo is just downright silly. Employers are looking for people who have experience, period. A B.Eng degree is all you need to get your foot in the door.

Your window of opportunity to gain a 1 year of invaluable experience went down the drain. Remember, we only get to live once and life is short.
Old 10-07-2010 at 11:36 PM   #58
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Problem is you went to a school that is heavily health and science oriented and expect to get a good engineering education. Should have gone to Waterloo, UofT, even Ryerson. Coming from the electrical department at Ryerson I can tell you that some of the profs are brilliant. School not so much. But it seems that's one of your criteria.
Old 10-07-2010 at 11:39 PM   #59
eullwm
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
You're already pissing away a year, you're taking Management for god's sake. You're better off getting a M.Eng degree if you wish to stay for another year. So technically, you already dumped more money than needed.

Management, Societies and all of the mumbo jumbo is just downright silly. Employers are looking for people who have experience, period. A B.Eng degree is all you need to get your foot in the door.

Your window of opportunity to gain a 1 year of invaluable experience went down the drain. Remember, we only get to live once and life is short.
Unlike transferring, Management actually gets me something. Management is also a solid investment: for another 10k I get to shave a year off of an MBA should I choose to pursue one (which I intend to sometime after graduating). Employers are also looking for people who have a knowledge beyond just their field, and especially for people who are capable of working in interdisciplinary teams. All of which the "mumbo jumbo" covers.

Finally, don't care. What's 1 years difference, especially when I'll retire at the same age anyway were I to do a straight degree? It's not like I'll have magically earned an extra year to live solely by virtue of what I had--or didn't have-- tacked onto my major.

/srs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
Problem is you went to a school that is heavily health and science oriented and expect to get a good engineering education. Should have gone to Waterloo, UofT, even Ryerson. Coming from the electrical department at Ryerson I can tell you that some of the profs are brilliant. School not so much. But it seems that's one of your criteria.
I expected this school not to be a festering pile of shit, considering it's consistently ranked higher than most other schools in Canada. I've had a few good profs, and all of them are brilliant in their own way-- it's simply a matter of whether or not they make going to class worth it, or making it even worthwhile to take the class. Open-book tests with the answers in the book? MATLAB assignments that people cheat 100% on because they're too stupid to do a single thing for themselves? I'd much prefer to get something from the class instead of a letter on a piece of paper. Knowledge trumps a grade, but sadly, I'm just paying for a piece of paper.

If I had not pissed away my marks working 4pm-12pm excessively in grade 12 I would have definitely gone to Waterloo. Paying my dues for another 2.5 years because of that stupid mistake.

Last edited by eullwm : 10-07-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2010 at 11:59 PM   #60
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant View Post
How can you hate psych its so interesting D:

I would have done honours bio + psych, but i hate the tests in psych

I guess i just answered my own question
Testing under Dr. Day in first year was much worse than what it's like now. That's why I switched, mostly.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement