MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Go Transit travel info **jewel 03** Automotive & Transportation 3 06-24-2010 02:04 PM
Stop getting it on is the MUSC Rossclot General Discussion 73 04-10-2010 04:41 PM
Light Rail Transit (LRT) Info Session temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-30-2008 03:27 PM
Bus Stop redex General Discussion 4 10-09-2007 11:46 PM

Temporary GO Transit Stop Info...

Old 11-02-2009 at 01:32 PM   #1
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Temporary GO Transit Stop Info...
I know there's already a thread to tell people where the temporary strike stops are for GO transit are but some of us are looking for some more detailed, first hand accounts of how these stops are working out.

If you took GO transit today to school how was your commute affected by the new strike stops? Specifically on your way home?

I personally would like to know about the 47A/B route and I know another person who wants to know about the buses to Aldershot.

I was wondering because we have a terminal at McMaster that allows for multiple buses to park and wait, pick up and drop off all at the same time. I imagine this routine will have to change slightly due to the buses stopping on Main Street or it would lead to a lot of chaos and traffic blocking. What happened when 3 buses were trying to pick up at once (for example the 47A, the 47E and the 15A, this combination of pick ups happens in the afternoon at the terminal)? Can only 1 bus pick up at a time? It is a huge mess with 3 buses trying to pick up students and leave on time? In the terminal buses who need to leave before other buses are able to back up and go around them, on the street this is obviously impossible or much, much more inconvenient?

Honestly this whole thing sounds like a logistics nightmare, there's a reason we have a GO terminal on campus that can accommodate all the students and multiple buses at once.

I would just like to hear some first hand accounts of how commuters that use GO transit are being affected by this strike. We pay a lot of money to utilize GO transit which is a convenient way to get right onto campus, with this strike our usual route has been changed and I want to know if its a huge issue or if it went smoothly and its no biggie.
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:37 PM   #2
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

I just spoke to my friend who takes the 15 to Aldershot, connects to the train to Burlington, then connects with the Grimsby/Stoney Creek bus.

There was a delay on her way home getting picked up at Mac. She missed the first connection so she had to sit around and wait for over an hour then finally got on the Grimsby bus.

I have to take the same route, except to St. Catherines. An hour delay is a definate no to me, I have to be back home for work, or to pick up the siblings. Just my luck too, I just garaged my car and wasn't planning on repairing it until after winter. Ahhhhhhhhhhh this is nuts. I have a test tomorrow too. Hitchhike?
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:39 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I can give you an answer after 7 PM because my friend will be taking one of those and I can call her up

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-02-2009 at 01:40 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I just spoke to my friend who takes the 15 to Aldershot, connects to the train to Burlington, then connects with the Grimsby/Stoney Creek bus.

There was a delay on her way home getting picked up at Mac. She missed the first connection so she had to sit around and wait for over an hour then finally got on the Grimsby bus.

I have to take the same route, except to St. Catherines. An hour delay is a definate no to me, I have to be back home for work, or to pick up the siblings. Just my luck too, I just garaged my car and wasn't planning on repairing it until after winter. Ahhhhhhhhhhh this is nuts. I have a test tomorrow too. Hitchhike?
I figured there would be delays on the pick up end for the buses. There are usually multiple buses picking up different groups of students at the terminal, with only one designated stop to pick up all students traveling GO tranist there's no way multiple buses can stop there and pick up students on time. I am so not looking forward to my commute tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:48 PM   #5
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Where exactly are they picking up students? I might just attempt this tomorrow. I honestly don't know much about the streets/HSR stops around Mac. I just ride in on the GO bus and that's pretty much it lol!

I just don't wanna be late trying to find where they're picking up everyone after class. I'm in the IAHS building, so where would I go from there to the temp GO bus pick-up stop?
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:58 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Where exactly are they picking up students? I might just attempt this tomorrow. I honestly don't know much about the streets/HSR stops around Mac. I just ride in on the GO bus and that's pretty much it lol!

I just don't wanna be late trying to find where they're picking up everyone after class. I'm in the IAHS building, so where would I go from there to the temp GO bus pick-up stop?
During the strike...

GO Buses will pick up students at Emerson & Main Street West. (near where the funeral home was previously located)

GO Buses will drop students at Bowman & Main Street West. (across from the hospital)
Old 11-02-2009 at 02:01 PM   #7
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

I just wrote this on another thread....

This morning, the GO bus dropped us off on Main St. at the new engineering building. It probably annoyed the cars behind the bus but it was ok otherwise, it just took a bit longer to get to class but it wasn't a big deal. Coming home, the bus picked us up on the other side of Main St., right beside where the funeral home used to be. There was tons of people there but the bus came on time and everything worked out pretty well I think....it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. But maybe thats because this was at 1:45 and its not too busy at that time.

Also I should note that this was the 47 York bus.
Old 11-02-2009 at 02:07 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
I just wrote this on another thread....

This morning, the GO bus dropped us off on Main St. at the new engineering building. It probably annoyed the cars behind the bus but it was ok otherwise, it just took a bit longer to get to class but it wasn't a big deal. Coming home, the bus picked us up on the other side of Main St., right beside where the funeral home used to be. There was tons of people there but the bus came on time and everything worked out pretty well I think....it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. But maybe thats because this was at 1:45 and its not too busy at that time.

Also I should note that this was the 47 York bus.
Doesn't sound too bad.

However I'm just curious as to the times when multiple buses are supposed to be picking up students at that one stop. That seems like it would be a mess and/or at least 1 or 2 of the buses will have to be late leaving to accommodate whichever bus happens to be in front.
Old 11-02-2009 at 02:12 PM   #9
caroline54

Hmm...well I know the 47A (or B...I'm not sure) was there early and was just parked on the side of the road with the door open for people to walk in until it left. Everytime another bus came (I saw one of the HSR busses and the Aldershot bus) it pulled up behind the 47A, picked people up, and left. The bus was just further behind so that it had room to pull out from behind the 47A.
Old 11-02-2009 at 02:14 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
Hmm...well I know the 47A (or B...I'm not sure) was there early and was just parked on the side of the road with the door open for people to walk in until it left. Everytime another bus came (I saw one of the HSR busses and the Aldershot bus) it pulled up behind the 47A, picked people up, and left. The bus was just further behind so that it had room to pull out from behind the 47A.
Good to know.

So are the buses blocking a lane of traffic by being stopped "on the side of the road?"
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:53 PM   #11
caroline54

Yeah pretty much. The bus had the hazard lights on.
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:06 PM   #12
sew12
Elite Member

This is really going to piss off drivers in Hamilton.