MacInsiders Logo

Is the text book for Stats 2b03 useful?

Old 08-25-2011 at 05:20 PM   #1
m0nix

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Is the text book for Stats 2b03 useful?
I heard there is absolutely no need for this book and the lecture notes are sufficient to getting a good mark. Correct or no? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 08-25-2011 at 05:28 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

CORRECT, but just in case u need the book, there is a pdf of the book going around the web.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

m0nix says thanks to L'Étoile for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 05:33 PM   #3
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Has anyone ever had Volterman, Canty or Chen as a prof? They're also teaching Stats2b03 this year and I just wanted to know if they're good profs haha.
Old 08-25-2011 at 05:37 PM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Has anyone ever had Volterman, Canty or Chen as a prof? They're also teaching Stats2b03 this year and I just wanted to know if they're good profs haha.
had volterman... he's ok
Old 08-25-2011 at 05:45 PM   #5
m0nix

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
had volterman... he's ok
Yeah Ill have volterman too, i hope he's okay!
Do you btw know where I could find this pdf file? THANKS SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING!
Old 08-25-2011 at 06:10 PM   #6
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
I almost thought you said Voldemort because I was speed reading it and i used the t to make it voltemort

Old 08-25-2011 at 07:45 PM   #7
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

you don't need the textbook. don't buy minitab either. you can use the program already downloaded on the mills computers.

the midterms were very similar to the practice tests at the end of the lab manual.
know how to do all the practice tests inside out, and you should do very well.

the lab manual is relatively cheap ~16 from the tank

p.s. the textbook was useful for the charts at the back of the book*
but Volterman provided pdf files of the charts on his class website

check it out:
http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~volterwd/2B03fall2010.html
*control f-"upoaded a chart for t quantiles" at the website

but these charts are available on the general web as well
http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/distribution-tables/
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:47 PM   #8
shurlee

Liked: 3 Times

You can actually download a trial version of minitab, though it's a newer version than the ones used in the computer labs. You still pretty much get the same results anyways. The trial lasts for 30 days though.
Old 08-26-2011 at 12:44 PM   #9
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
I almost thought you said Voldemort because I was speed reading it and i used the t to make it voltemort
LOL, couple of people in my class (including myself) used to call him Voldemort hahaha

Oh and in response to the book question..pdf or its on reserve at thode, no one uses it so its always there
Old 08-26-2011 at 01:06 PM   #10
science4ever

Liked: 2 Times

Does it matter if it's the 8th edition or the 9th edition? I think the pdf online is the 8th edition.
Old 08-26-2011 at 01:20 PM   #11
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Quote:
You guys will NOT believe this but William Volterman was my grade 8 math teacher at chedoke middle school. How the hell did he even become a professor? He was by far the easiest but also dumbest math teacher i ever had. He is a funny guy though and instead of making us do math he made us do water balloon fights and drawings. He also linked us to his then blog which had his nude pictures for the chedoke yearbook. I hope he doesent read this ahaaha.
Old 08-26-2011 at 05:09 PM   #12
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salik View Post
You guys will NOT believe this but William Volterman was my grade 8 math teacher at chedoke middle school. How the hell did he even become a professor? He was by far the easiest but also dumbest math teacher i ever had. He is a funny guy though and instead of making us do math he made us do water balloon fights and drawings. He also linked us to his then blog which had his nude pictures for the chedoke yearbook. I hope he doesent read this ahaaha.
LOL srsly? Guess he went back to school for his PhD in math...

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~volterwd/index.html
Old 08-27-2011 at 01:23 AM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post
LOL srsly? Guess he went back to school for his PhD in math...

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~volterwd/index.html

Lord Voldemort decided to move onto bigger and better things >: O.
Old 08-27-2011 at 04:10 AM   #14
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salik View Post
Maybe it was his "idiot brother."

Old 08-27-2011 at 04:34 AM   #15
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Haha, no i saw his picture too its the exact same guy, but i know he only came to chedoke for 6 months. Everyone thought he got fired because he never taught us anything, but i guess he left teaching to do his phD.