Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 2f03 textbook, do i need it? narwhal Academics 0 08-13-2010 05:45 PM

textbook for bio 2f03

Old 08-12-2011 at 11:19 AM   #1
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

textbook for bio 2f03
hi,

for those who took bio 2f03, do u recommend buying the textbook?
Old 08-12-2011 at 11:42 AM   #2
bambambam

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
hi,

for those who took bio 2f03, do u recommend buying the textbook?
I just bought the online version and split the $60 with two friends, so ended up paying $20 each.
It's a 6 month subscription, and only one person can be on it at a time.

...none of us ever touched it...
Old 08-12-2011 at 11:45 AM   #3
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambambam View Post
I just bought the online version and split the $60 with two friends, so ended up paying $20 each.
It's a 6 month subscription, and only one person can be on it at a time.

...none of us ever touched it...
k that last post was also me, alt account lolo

But yeah, forgot to mention that the lectures Dr. Chow gives are super detailed and so you don't really need a textbook, unless you're the type of person that actually reads texts for other bio courses too. Then maybe.
Old 08-12-2011 at 12:19 PM   #4
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Well considering that Cartwright is teaching this year, I can say that she assigns a lot of readings. Like up to 30 per class on average. So hardly anyone actually did the readings, not to mention everything was in the slides, it was mostly for clarification. The only parts worth reading were the single page examples called "Environmental Applications" which may make up a question.

All in all I completed the first week's worth of readings, stopped since it took forever and still got double digits. The exam was tricky due to detailed questions, some of which I still have no idea where they came from. But the textbook did not prove necessary (it was one of my comments in the course evaluation, way to many unnecessary required readings)
Old 08-13-2011 at 12:56 PM   #5
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

No, you don't really need to buy the textbook for 2f03 esp if it's with Dr.Chow Fraser unless you really really need clarification on certain ideas/concepts (in which case you can borrow it from a friend). It depends on you tho, I bought it and it only helped but nothing too significant.
Easy course, exam was a little tricky.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-13-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Ads belong in the marketplace.
Old 08-13-2011 at 01:25 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I've been waiting to get into 2F03 for a while now. They changed the times so that it doesn't conflict with a "required elective" for me, but it now conflicts with a required course.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-13-2011 at 03:40 PM   #7
MichLow

Liked: 1 Time

Hey I used the textbook for the end of every unit we learnt. Dr Chow Fraser teaches well but she refers to a lot of diagrams and graphs that the text explains very well.

Cheers
Michelle

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-13-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Ads belong in the marketplace
Old 09-06-2011 at 09:46 PM   #8
chimwha01

They changed the teacher to a certain CARTWRIGHT, L, not sure if he uses the book, any good recommendations?
Old 09-06-2011 at 10:00 PM   #9
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

I took the course with Cartwright over the summer. She posts a LOT of readings. They are technically supplementary readings, for better understanding and such but she can throw a random question or two from the book. I don't know if I would have gotten a 12 without the book.
Old 09-06-2011 at 10:20 PM   #10
chimwha01

Did you read the book, or did some questions come out from the book that were in the midterm or final exam?
Old 09-06-2011 at 11:15 PM   #11
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimwha01 View Post
Did you read the book, or did some questions come out from the book that were in the midterm or final exam?
I read the book religiously for the entire month but mostly because I wasn't aware of her teaching style. I found this: http://www.cengage.com/cgi-wadsworth... plate=NELSTU and did quizzes from every chapter (which was ultimately from the book). It reinforced my learning I guess. It also helped that I didn't buy the book, I borrowed it so I didn't have anything to lose. I think she had a few questions from the book in the exam just to make it harder, can't tell you more than that, my short term memory fails me
Old 09-06-2011 at 11:31 PM   #12
mac-lover

Liked: 15 Times

I thought it was useful for clarifying things.