MacInsiders Logo

Is the textbook for Envro Sci 1B03 needed?

Old 01-09-2013 at 07:06 PM   #1
Aaliyah

Liked: 3 Times

Is the textbook for Envro Sci 1B03 needed?
I have Dr. Bernier as the prof for the course. He explains things really well so I was wondering if I neeed to buy the textbook or if his lecture notes and going to his lectures is enough?

Also, how are the quizzes and labs? are they hard? :/
Any opinion would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Grover : 01-09-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2013 at 08:48 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I'm in the same class and having read three chapters of the text so far... I'd say you'll want it. The quizzes shouldn't be too difficult - you get three tries and they're open book - pretty much free marks IMO!
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:08 PM   #3
Aaliyah

Liked: 3 Times

oh really? Is it different from his slides? yeah, that's true, thank you
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:39 PM   #4
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

It's not so much that it's different as that there's a lot more information! The textbook also has better diagrams, it's actually really good!

Aaliyah says thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 01-09-2013 at 10:55 PM   #5
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

The only thing tested from the textbook however are the quizzes. The final exam is only lecture content. I asked him this after class today.

Aaliyah says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.
Old 01-09-2013 at 11:12 PM   #6
Kajeevan

Liked: 7 Times

I took Enviro 1A03, as well as Earth Science 2WW3. Both of the courses very extremely similar in terms of the course outline, but Earth Science 2WW3 had no labs. I did buy the textbook for both courses, but I have never read them (such a waste of money!). I found that by simply using Google, lecture materials, and common sense you can predict, or get the exact answer to most of the quiz questions. But I've heard from many people that some of his questions come right off the textbook, so it's probably wise to read the textbook, and REMEMBER what you read and where things are since the quiz is 30 minutes. I have done the quiz for both courses without reading the textbook and still managed to get 85% + average in all the quizzes, so it's really up to you. Try doing the quiz without a book (one attempt) and see if the book would help.

Also I've found that in the LAST-LAST quiz for Enviro 1A03 and 2WW3 the second try questions are the exact questions of the first try- so you could essentially get 100%. I would assume it to be the same for Enviro 1B03. Labs kinda depend on your TA, but I think every enviro TA marks kind of easily LOL.

+ This is my fourth course with Bernier, and trust me he will tell you every possible hint for exam, and your usually guaranteed atleast 30-40% of the exam mark! Infact enviro 1A03 even had coloring -_-
That should cover up pretty much everything you need to know

Aaliyah, mac_5555, Philipp31 all say thanks to Kajeevan for this post.

Philipp31 likes this.