MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
New textbooks vs. used textbooks fraunbea Academics 6 07-28-2010 05:08 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM

Textbooks

Old 08-21-2007 at 12:26 PM   #1
kayleech

Liked: 0 Times

Textbooks
These are the textbooks that are required for my courses:

FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOLS 1 AND 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE

PETRUCCI - CHEMISTRY (TEXT/SSM/MEDIAPAK)(3 PART PACKAGE)

BFWPUB - I>CLICKER

CCW - PHYSICS 1B03 LAB MANUAL

KNIGHT R - PHYSICS FOR SCI & ENG (WMP)(TEXT/WORKBOOK)(2 PT. PKG)

GRAY P - PSYCHOLOGY

CCW - PSYCH 1A03 HANDBOOK

CCW - MATH 1A03 COURSEPACK (ALL SECTIONS)

STEWART - CALCULUS EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS (PKG OF 4 ITEMS)

When looking for these books used, I have no idea how much I should be paying for them. I also don't know if I should be buying all the optional books as well. It seems like you could potentially end up with a very large number of textbooks for even one semester!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've posted this list in some Facebook groups already, but I really don't know who I can trust when buying them online, and I also don't know what good prices are for each textbook.
Old 08-21-2007 at 03:12 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you use the Titles website to search for your books, you will get the amount they are supposed to cost new as well as used. It will also tell you which books are mandatory and which are optional.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-21-2007 at 10:25 PM   #3
Sarah A.
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1 Time

It is not necessary for you to buy all the optional material. Personally, I would buy the mandatory textbooks and if you decide a couple weeks into the course that you need extra books to study from you can look into buying more from the optional list. Also, look at your strengths. For example, although (I think) the calculus textbook is mandatory and the solutions manual is optional, definitely buy the solutions manual. You'll be thanking yourself later!
Old 08-21-2007 at 10:26 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Indeed. Solutions manuals can help you out in many ways!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-22-2007 at 07:39 AM   #5
JPinto

Where is the link to find the books that you need for your corresponding courses?
Old 08-22-2007 at 08:49 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Go to the Titles website (http://titles.mcmaster.ca/). Then course listings. Then you search them down by subject.

Old 08-22-2007 at 09:54 AM   #7
kayleech

Yes, I would agree that solutions manuals are extremely helpful.

That clears some things up.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007 at 03:16 PM   #8
Afrisa

Will there be another Used Books Sale after Term One? Or would we have to buy Term One and Two books during the first week of school (for used books)?

Thanks~
Old 08-22-2007 at 09:40 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I have a feeling you stumbled on something that you weren't meant to. No Commerce courses at Mac have buisness in the course code. Thus, I have a feeling you found the books for the continuing education classes.

Look under economics, and commerce when you're searching for your texts, Jpinto.

Afrisa, there will be used books available both terms (and the summer term too), so don't worry about getting your books for term two now.

Old 08-27-2007 at 12:07 PM   #11
Afrisa

Ok thanks. : ]

Oh yea, can we use credit cards and cheques to buy used/new textbooks?

Thanks again ^^
Old 08-27-2007 at 04:15 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I'm not sure about cheques, but I know Titles accepts VISA, Mastercard, Cash, debit, and the credit card arrangement that is on one's student card (but had to sign up for in advance).

Old 08-27-2007 at 07:45 PM   #13
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

How do we sign up for that? Because I called the school about how I would get the money back from the course that I had payed for but then had to drop out of and they said that the money would be in my "student account" and that I could just use my student card at Titles to use the money towards books. They didn't mention that I had to sign up to be able to do that though.
Old 08-27-2007 at 09:10 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

This is a point of Chad's he made in the Freedom Account Thread (http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...es+credit+card)

Your student card can be used for purchasing items at TITLES, and it works like a credit card, charged to your Student Account which you must pay back. You CAN NOT just walk into TITLES and start buying things with your Student Card. You need to first fill out an application and activate that feature on your Student Card before you can use it as a Titles Credit Card.

http://titles.mcmaster.ca/geninfo/charge.htm --> rules

However, I can't find where it is exactly you go to do this. I have a feeling you go into Titles directly, but am not sure. I don't buy my books this way.

Old 08-27-2007 at 09:12 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Undercovers, the MSU used bookstore has a group on Facebook. It doesn't open until the 4th, and it's new this year, so I don't know all that much about it. You can check out (and join) the group here: http://mcmaster.facebook.com /group...d=5068204 715