MacInsiders Logo

is there anything i can do?

Old 05-29-2010 at 11:56 AM   #1
p_vun

Liked: 0 Times

is there anything i can do?
Hi, I found out i failed 1 engineering course. is there any way of me retaking that course (Physics 1E03)? maybe as an elective for next year.. thats if i get into any engineering stream next year. any advice would be helpful.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:59 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Well, physics wouldn't be an elective, you would have to retake the course itself.

Depending on which stream you're going into, you physics may be a requirement, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Go to the engineering careers office in JHE and talk to Sally Williams (?), as she will be able to better answer your questions.

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/about/peopleassocdean.html
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:01 PM   #3
p_vun

yea i emailed her today. im planning on going in as soon as possible. it says im not legible for the streams i picked and one is still pending. do you know if it is possible for that to change and for them to give me a possible chance?
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:03 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_vun View Post
yea i emailed her today. im planning on going in as soon as possible. it says im not legible for the streams i picked and one is still pending. do you know if it is possible for that to change and for them to give me a possible chance?
You'll have to figure out why it's pending. It could be that you need to pass physics, or you may need to get another 3 credits. Talk to her about that.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:05 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You become ineligible for the other two streams that you didn't meet the requirements for or if you already became eligible for one. Its possible you were accepted, but this whole delayed mark release thing could be preventing you from seeing it. Or not.

Even if you didn't make it, its possible to still get into other streams, or even 'shadow' the one you want (take the courses you need and enter into it officially next year).

Best bet is to speak to course co'ordinators as soon as possible! Negotiate! Never give up!
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:05 PM   #6
p_vun

I actually never thought of that. That could be why. But hopefully if that is the case, then they might let me go into it with me retaking that course again.
Old 05-29-2010 at 12:08 PM   #7
p_vun

Thanks Ryan. That's really helpful, I might actually do that. I'm not giving up. I really want to continue engineering and finish my undergrad. I might even have to take a whole week off work to talk to Sally. That's only because i work in the days in which her office hours are open and I don't think she is open on weekends.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:36 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Pending means you already have a seat in that stream. Its sort of reserved for you pending completion of that course, Physics 1E03. You can even take it this summer. Its offered term 2 start date of June 25 I think.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:45 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Pending means you already have a seat in that stream. Its sort of reserved for you pending completion of that course, Physics 1E03. You can even take it this summer. Its offered term 2 start date of June 25 I think.
Term 2 classes start on the 21st, but the 25th is the last day you can add/drop.
Old 05-29-2010 at 07:51 PM   #10
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Take it in the summer and everything will be fine. It's not a big deal unless it brought your cumulative average to below 4.0
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:21 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You have 2 options, assuming your GPA is above 4.0:
1) Take it in summer (term 2)
2) Take it next year (term 2)

As long as your GPA is above 4.0, and you got into some program, your fine
Old 05-30-2010 at 10:21 AM   #12
p_vun

It actually did bring my GPA under 4 which is not good at all. But Computer Engineer is still says decision pending while the others already denied it. I don't know hopefully they will reconsider and let me continue.
Old 05-30-2010 at 10:31 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
It actually did bring my GPA under 4 which is not good at all. But Computer Engineer is still says decision pending while the others already denied it. I don't know hopefully they will reconsider and let me continue.
You should go talk to an academic counsellor and ask why it's pending. You probably have to complete a certain requirement.
Old 05-30-2010 at 10:36 AM   #14
p_vun

Yea I'm going to call them monday and try to make an appointment as soon as i can. Thanks guys. You guys are lifesavers.
Old 05-30-2010 at 12:57 PM   #15
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
A C.A under 4.0 means you cannot stay in engineering, so talk to the adviser on Monday to get put on M-opportunity so you can take courses in the summer to get all the requirements.

Good luck.