MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone thinking of going into chembio? VoyozooT Academics 4 07-12-2010 01:49 AM
Thinking of transfering Rob36 Academics 1 03-20-2010 12:18 PM
4 FINAL exams in 2 days a conflict? bernas3 Academics 6 02-26-2010 09:46 AM
Question about multiple choice exams in engineering Oilers Academics 13 05-02-2009 11:14 PM

thinking about a big conflict. question about exams

Old 09-16-2010 at 09:59 PM   #1
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

thinking about a big conflict. question about exams
Right now I am scheduled into first year social work and a second year sociology course that are both evening courses on the same night. The social work course is podcasted and there are non graded tutorials every second week so I would basically never go and instead attend the sociology course.

The sociology course has no December midterm and/or conflicting tests with social work. Basically i think I can get away with this until April where everything has serious potential to go to hell. Last year all my first year classes exams were in the first week and my night classes were all on the day of the regular core. If my exams get scheduled at the same time I'm screwed. What i was wondering if all my first year class exams were in the first week is it safe to assume that second year course exams will be in the second week. Is there a way to weasel my out of it if they get scheduled at the same time even though conflict policy says your screwed?

thanks
Old 09-16-2010 at 10:33 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Well first of all its always a good idea to attend lectures, but if you think you're fine with podcasts then so be it. You're exams definitely wont be scheduled around the same time, but just to be sure go see an academic advisor.

Hope that helps somewhat (someone correct me if im wrong)
Old 09-16-2010 at 10:36 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Right now I am scheduled into first year social work and a second year sociology course that are both evening courses on the same night. The social work course is podcasted and there are non graded tutorials every second week so I would basically never go and instead attend the sociology course.

The sociology course has no December midterm and/or conflicting tests with social work. Basically i think I can get away with this until April where everything has serious potential to go to hell. Last year all my first year classes exams were in the first week and my night classes were all on the day of the regular core. If my exams get scheduled at the same time I'm screwed. What i was wondering if all my first year class exams were in the first week is it safe to assume that second year course exams will be in the second week. Is there a way to weasel my out of it if they get scheduled at the same time even though conflict policy says your screwed?

thanks
nope that is not a safe assumption! exam scheduling is not dependent of the course level (in my experience). maybe you can have a talk with your instructors? Or pick one...

good luck

Last edited by sinthusized : 09-16-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2010 at 10:42 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

They actually tend to schedule classes that conflict with each other and/or are from very different disciplines and/or are different years at the same times where possible, to minimize actual exam conflicts. The people with 5 exams in 3 days tend to be people taking courses from lots of different subject areas from different levels. This isn't a hard and fast rule--my housemate took 3 bio courses, orgo and english, and still ended up with 5 exams in 7 days--but it does increase the likelihood of conflicts occurring.

Talk with an academic advisor and/or the profs to see what your options are.
Old 09-17-2010 at 09:49 AM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

It would make sense that they would schedule exams for courses that conflict at the same time since people are supposed to go to class and aren't supposed to take classes that conflict. It would make it easier like it was said above to avoid conflicts with other classes that do not conflict.

Also if you choose to take classes that conflict and the exams get scheduled at the same time the University will not do anything for you, they won't let you defer b/c against advice otherwise you chose to take two courses at the same time meaning you didn't even go to one, or alternated or something.
Old 09-17-2010 at 09:52 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Is there a way to weasel my out of it if they get scheduled at the same time even though conflict policy says your screwed?
Nope. That's why the policy exists in the first place. If it happens, you're SOL and will fail one of the classes (not writing the exam, even if it is worth a small percentage of your overall mark often means an automatic fail).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-17-2010 at 10:04 AM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Also since this might be helpful information today is the last day for drop and add so if you need to change one of those courses you still have a chance today.
Old 09-17-2010 at 12:21 PM   #8
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

yeah i gave up and snuck into a different sociology class at like 2am minutes after someone else dropped it. I learn better without the distractions of a class full of first years and know I could have pulled it off but I just couldn't take the chance of two exams at the same time and end up failing a 6 unit course because of it

thanks