MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 1A03 - Midterm 1 - Can i get by on the test by just studying last terms test? lalalola2011 Academics 11 03-02-2013 02:08 AM

For those who just had Bio 2B03 test

Old 11-07-2013 at 05:50 PM   #1
banilaco

Liked: 1 Time

For those who just had Bio 2B03 test
I thought Test 2 is not going to be cumulative. On A2L, Dr.Dej posted that the test will cover lecture 5,6 and 7. But why were there questions from lecture 4 - microsomes experiment. I only concentrated on the lectures she said we will be tested and yet I find this questions that worth 5 marks on the test. Is it just me who was surprised to see this question???? :(
Old 11-07-2013 at 07:59 PM   #2
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

Not really. They did mention that the stuff we learned from lecture 1-4 will be built upon so we should have a general picture of lecture 1-4 not too much detail. That question on the microsomes experiment was pretty straightforward and didn't require reviewing. They did remove part d) of that question but the midterm was really easy. I'm sure people are just overreacting.
Old 11-07-2013 at 08:12 PM   #3
banilaco

There were a lot of material covered on lecture 5,6 and 7 with all the names of G-proteins, signals..etc going on. So for a person like me who completely concentrated on those lectures, that microsome experiment couldn't have been a straight forward question. The fact that Dr.Dej addressed that question on A2L, I guess she got a lot of complains from other students as well. Oh well....what can I do now. :p
Old 11-07-2013 at 08:38 PM   #4
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Dr. Dej is a very reasonable professor.
I'm sure she mentioned it well in advance.
Old 11-07-2013 at 08:50 PM   #5
banilaco

Yes, I do agree Dr.Dej is a reasonable and nice prof. But unfortunately, not on this test. If she mentioned previous lecture components would be included, going over those lectures at least once would have made a big difference. The question wasn't difficult. The fact that she said the test is non-cumulative, I ended answering that question by relating to the material we learned after test 1 when the actual answer has to do with previous lectures that we were tested for Test 1.
Old 11-07-2013 at 08:57 PM   #6
bobsingh

I understand what you're saying but this material builds on from the first part of lectures in the course. Dr dej and Dr dasilva mentioned that this course refers back to previous content so that experiment was based on GPCRs and such relating back to lectures 5 and 6. I doubt that they will do anything about it the test is over but I don't see the reason why people can complain for the marks. Just my two cents.
Old 11-07-2013 at 09:09 PM   #7
banilaco

Yeah, the test is over but if majority of people thought the question wasn't fair enough, there may be some adjustment to the marking scheme. But I respect what you're saying!

p.s I believe the answer has to do with microsomes being able to protect newly synthesized proteins and that the proteins are moved directly into microsomes for protection. And the experiment was that the transport into the microsome happens co-translationally which refers directly to the same experiment on lecutre 4...rather than GPCR.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and hopefully I'll do better on the final exam.

Last edited by banilaco : 11-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2013 at 09:24 PM   #8
bobsingh

Yes that is the answer. I was just trying to relate that to the gpcr talk about the er lumen etc. It kind of goes hand in hand that's why its easier to remember for me. Its also a past question of Dr dej I wonder why she used it in this test its more related to test 1.
Old 11-07-2013 at 09:36 PM   #9
banilaco

Yeah, just frustrating for me since I put so much time and effort trying to memorize all those long pathways on online lecture and it was a bit of disappointment to find out non of these things were on SA. :(
Old 11-07-2013 at 09:41 PM   #10
bobsingh

There's a still a final exam so everyone should focus on that good luck!!