MacInsiders Logo

For those that took Math 1A03/1AA3 or are taking it now

Old 01-23-2011 at 02:11 PM   #16
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Oh please. I haven't said one incorrect thing this entire thread, and you keep going on about how you learned differential equations and **** by yourself. I said 1ZZ5 moves faster than the maths this year, and you actually have the audacity to say:
"We do some single variable and multi at same time not really coherent. While in 1zz5, they had a good slow progress but we get two different things at once ."

GOOD, SLOW PROGRESS for 1zz5? HOW THE **** is it SLOW if they cover the same amount of material in 26 fewer hours throughout the term?

Like seriously dude, what are you on about? You keep blabbering about **** you think you know. Oh damn man, you read a math textbook on your own and learned some differential equations!11!!!

If you want to learn real math, talk to Mahratta. Learning something in the textbook doesn't mean you understand anything about engineering math and how its run.
Dumbass, I actually know someone who is a grad in physics. So I pretty ask questions to him or I ask in physicsforums (forum where phds are). And I am not "showing off", I am telling you this because you're the one who told me "wait until you do laplace transforms and fourier analysis" And you say that when you have no idea what they are about. I don't know too and that's why I keep my mouth shut about shit i don't know.

And you are an idiot again...

You said it yourself we have more lectures more time.

1ZA3+1ZB3+1ZC3 =1ZZ4+1ZZ5

It's equivalent. It gives us more time to breathe in first term but in second term it gives us less time since we have 6 units.

Simple math... Plus, you still don't understand that learning Single Variable calculus and Multivariable Calculus at same time is dumb. They didn't have to do that last year. Again I know someone who was in second year and I can confirm this.

Last edited by Commander : 01-23-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 02:27 PM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Dumbass, I actually know someone who is a grad in physics. So I pretty ask questions to him or I ask in physicsforums (forum where phds are). And I am not "showing off", I am telling you this because you're the one who told me "wait until you do laplace transforms and fourier analysis" And you say that when you have no idea what they are about. I don't know too and that's why I keep my mouth shut about shit i don't know.

And you are an idiot again...

You said it yourself we have more lectures more time.

1ZA3+1ZB3+1ZC3 =1ZZ4+1ZZ5

It's equivalent. It gives us more time to breathe in first term but in second term it gives us less time since we have 6 units.

Simple math... Plus, you still don't understand that learning Single Variable calculus and Multivariable Calculus at same time is dumb. They didn't have to do that last year. Again I know someone who was in second year and I can confirm this.
Wow. Such a fail. You REALLY think 9 units last year and 9 units this year means they're equal? Like I said, you have MORE lectures per week in second semester compared to last year, meaning the professors move significantly slower since they have so much more time.

And you "actually know someone who is a grad in physics"? Am I supposed to be impressed?

I cannot believe I'm having this discussion with someone in engineering. Someone who really thinks that 9 = 9 no matter what.

Try opening your mind a bit, realizing that just because the number of units are the same doesn't make it equivalent difficulty.

Two people can take the same 10 courses in year I, and you can add all their marks together at the end of the year.

If person A takes the 5 hardest classes in one semester and the 5 easiest next, while person B takes a mixed course-load, in the end, it will NOT equal out just because they have the same 10 classes. It's more likely for person A to do poorer overall, even though they had the same classes.

So "simple math" isn't the answer to everything.

EDIT: And your 1z04 remark helped prove my point:

In first term, their math is worth more therefore they likely cover material faster. In second term, they have fewer classes, but cover the same material, so they work even faster.

Moral: stop ****ing complaining about how "hard" your engineering math is. People before you had it harder, and engineering isn't the most difficult discipline.
Old 01-23-2011 at 02:43 PM   #18
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Wow. Such a fail. You REALLY think 9 units last year and 9 units this year means they're equal? Like I said, you have MORE lectures per week in second semester compared to last year, meaning the professors move significantly slower since they have so much more time.

And you "actually know someone who is a grad in physics"? Am I supposed to be impressed?

I cannot believe I'm having this discussion with someone in engineering. Someone who really thinks that 9 = 9 no matter what.

Try opening your mind a bit, realizing that just because the number of units are the same doesn't make it equivalent difficulty.

Two people can take the same 10 courses in year I, and you can add all their marks together at the end of the year.

If person A takes the 5 hardest classes in one semester and the 5 easiest next, while person B takes a mixed course-load, in the end, it will NOT equal out just because they have the same 10 classes. It's more likely for person A to do poorer overall, even though they had the same classes.

So "simple math" isn't the answer to everything.

EDIT: And your 1z04 remark helped prove my point:

In first term, their math is worth more therefore they likely cover material faster. In second term, they have fewer classes, but cover the same material, so they work even faster.

Moral: stop ****ing complaining about how "hard" your engineering math is. People before you had it harder, and engineering isn't the most difficult discipline.
9=9, umm basic math and conservation. You shouldn't be talking since your in science and you're trying to argue about first year eng math courses

OK...

IN MATH 1ZB3 AND 1ZC3 IN 1 TERM, WE ARE DOING CALCULUS AT 1 VARIABLE AND MULTI AT SAME TIME. WE ARE DOING INTEGRALS AND TRIPLE INTEGRALS AT SAME TIME.

WHEREAS DURING LAST YEAR, THEY DID ALL THE SINGLE VARIABLE STUFF THEN THEY DID THE MULTI STUFF.

HOW HARD IS IT TO UNDERSTAND YOU STUPID ARROGANT (not refering to ur skin color)

Just stick to whatever your doing in science before you end up in the streets. And I didn't say engineering math is hard. I said math in first year eng is harder than any other program. All 1st year math courses can be easy, but some are harder compared to others.

Why am I even arguing with an idiot.

Last edited by Commander : 01-23-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 02:45 PM   #19
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Wait, double integrals are supposed to be hard? It's an integral... twice. Big whoop. Double the fun, is all.

Entropy likes this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 02:48 PM   #20
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Wait, double integrals are supposed to be hard? It's an integral... twice. Big whoop. Double the fun, is all.
I am not saying it's hard, I am saying that if you don't know how to do single integrals, its going to be confusing to do multivariable calculus. Second term math courses aren't coherent like what you guys had.
Old 01-23-2011 at 02:49 PM   #21
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

You guys are really cool!

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 02:50 PM   #22
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

How about we all unite against people taking 1LS3?
Old 01-23-2011 at 02:54 PM   #23
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
9=9, umm basic math and conservation. You shouldn't be talking since your in science and you're trying to argue about first year eng math courses

OK...

IN MATH 1ZB3 AND 1ZC3 IN 1 TERM, WE ARE DOING CALCULUS AT 1 VARIABLE AND MULTI AT SAME TIME. WE ARE DOING INTEGRALS AND TRIPLE INTEGRALS AT SAME TIME.

WHEREAS DURING LAST YEAR, THEY DID ALL THE SINGLE VARIABLE STUFF THEN THEY DID THE MULTI STUFF.

HOW HARD IS IT TO UNDERSTAND YOU STUPID ARROGANT (not refering to ur skin color)

Just stick to whatever your doing in science before you end up in the streets. And I didn't say engineering math is hard. I said math in first year eng is harder than any other program. All 1st year math courses can be easy, but some are harder compared to others.

Why am I even arguing with an idiot.
WOW. You really really think 9=9 no matter what, eh?

I'll try one more example to give you the hint, if you still can't open your mind even a little then you'd be a great engineer - taught a set of parameters and rules and keeping your mind in that little box for the rest of your life.

Someone who takes 1 course a semester for 40 semesters vs someone who takes 40 courses a semester. With your logic, those are equally hard because 40 courses = 40 courses.

Can you see now, that it's not even close to being the same?

Or are you going to say 40 = 40, and both of them are equally hard?

I shouldn't be talking because I'm in science and not in eng? Oh okay, so I guess you aren't 'allowed' to talk about the problems in third world countries because you haven't experienced it? Multi variable calculus and single variable are almost the exact same thing, you ****ing hold one variable constant and integrate with respect to another, and then switch.

You mentioned it three times like it's supposed to be a big deal. Yeah, it might not be perfectly coherent, I agree, but since "you get math" and 'you read ahead' and all this **** and talk to physics grads why are you complaining?

And I'm arrogant now? Really? You've been name calling the entire time - it makes you seem like a child who gets upset when someone with superior logic and reasoning comes around.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:03 PM   #24
Commander
P.I.M.P

HOLY **** !!!!

Are you an idiot ?

1=1

units are units. In this case... THEY ARE THE SAME ****ING COURSES. MATH 1ZA3 B3 AND C3 ARE = 1ZZ4 AND 1ZZ5 SAME STUFF IS COVERED FOR FFS.

MULTI AND SINGLE AREN'T THE SAME THING. Of course you know how to do multi because someone told you how. But little first years don't know and they get confused when they see a double integration when they haven't mastered the first because they are still doing it.

So STFU and don't talk about crap you don't know.

You are an idiot, who claimed that Eng math last year was harder than this year even if the stuff covered is the same. Labs are still same. Difference we have 3 courses and they had 2. They had more coherence. You can't see that AND YOU Haven't even been in engineering first year so shut the **** up.

Note: you do come from a third world country, pakistan is a third world country.

Last edited by Commander : 01-23-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:10 PM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Can you PLEASE try and understand?

Try and stop thinking in SIMPLE terms like 1=1. Life is not that simple - you've been brainwashed to think mathematics and logics rule the world while poetic justice is irrelevant, when an educated person would realize it's the other way around.

You learn the same stuff, but you have MORE lectures in 1ZB3/1ZC3 compared to 1ZZ5. Therefore, the professors do not have to rush the material and they have more class time to help "the little first years" who "don't know" and "get confused".

Last year, they learned the same material in a shorter amount of time, thus although they learned EXACTLY what you learned, the entire course was RUSHED and they had to learn those things in fewer lecture hours.

In other words, they learned the same material, but it was FASTER for them than it is for you, because you have extra lectures every week. So they had to learn, for example, differential equations in 4 lectures, while you have 6 lectures. Those extra 2 lectures help you understand, give you extra time to ask questions, etc. That makes the course easier, EVEN if you lose a bit of coherency by learning strange things like single/multi at the same time.

Is it really that hard to understand? Can anyone PLEASE jump in and make sure I'm saying it in the most clear and concise way possible?
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:12 PM   #26
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Can anyone PLEASE jump in and make sure I'm saying it in the most clear and concise way possible?
I'm getting what you're saying. My housemates are all in Engineering, and one of them has a younger brother who is in first year this year in Engineering. Last week this exact argument occurred in my living room when he came over. Except it was four upper-years on one first-year, and there was less racism involved.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-23-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:14 PM   #27
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
HOLY **** !!!!

Are you an idiot ?

1=1

units are units. In this case... THEY ARE THE SAME ****ING COURSES. MATH 1ZA3 B3 AND C3 ARE = 1ZZ4 AND 1ZZ5 SAME STUFF IS COVERED FOR FFS.

MULTI AND SINGLE AREN'T THE SAME THING. Of course you know how to do multi because someone told you how. But little first years don't know and they get confused when they see a double integration when they haven't mastered the first because they are still doing it.

So STFU and don't talk about crap you don't know.

You are an idiot, who claimed that Eng math last year was harder than this year even if the stuff covered is the same. Labs are still same. Difference we have 3 courses and they had 2. They had more coherence. You can't see that AND YOU Haven't even been in engineering first year so shut the **** up.

Note: you do come from a third world country, pakistan is a third world country.
EDIT: I just read that you said I was from Pakistan? For the first time, I'm pissed. **** you. I've never been there, my parents aren't from there, and I'm damn proud to be a Canadian.

So shut the **** up because I'm more Canadian than you'll ever be. And my English is far more eloquent and fluid than yours, so don't even pull the race card as if I'm any less able than you are.

alh24, Entropy like this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:14 PM   #28
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Can you PLEASE try and understand?

Try and stop thinking in SIMPLE terms like 1=1. Life is not that simple - you've been brainwashed to think mathematics and logics rule the world while poetic justice is irrelevant, when an educated person would realize it's the other way around.

You learn the same stuff, but you have MORE lectures in 1ZB3/1ZC3 compared to 1ZZ5. Therefore, the professors do not have to rush the material and they have more class time to help "the little first years" who "don't know" and "get confused".

Last year, they learned the same material in a shorter amount of time, thus although they learned EXACTLY what you learned, the entire course was RUSHED and they had to learn those things in fewer lecture hours.

In other words, they learned the same material, but it was FASTER for them than it is for you, because you have extra lectures every week. So they had to learn, for example, differential equations in 4 lectures, while you have 6 lectures. Those extra 2 lectures help you understand, give you extra time to ask questions, etc. That makes the course easier, EVEN if you lose a bit of coherency by learning strange things like single/multi at the same time.

Is it really that hard to understand? Can anyone PLEASE jump in and make sure I'm saying it in the most clear and concise way possible?
You are an idiot. 1=1, basic conservation If you were in a room full of physicists, mathematicans, engineers and other smart asses YOU WOULD GET MURDERED.

I don't care if it was rushed or not. You directed this crap at me, WHO IS TAKING 7 COURSES In one TERM.

Ok, they had it rushed, now it's slowly doing two things at once, no difference...

So stfu, you're a second year who's taking Math 1AA3, what a shame...
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:19 PM   #29
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Sheesh. It's not his Math that's a problem, it's your reading skills. What he meant was that 9 course units =/= 9 course units from different courses, in terms of difficulty of the course load.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:20 PM   #30
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
You are an idiot. 1=1, basic conservation If you were in a room full of physicists, mathematicans, engineers and other smart asses YOU WOULD GET MURDERED.

I don't care if it was rushed or not. You directed this crap at me, WHO IS TAKING 7 COURSES In one TERM.

Ok, they had it rushed, now it's slowly doing two things at once, no difference...

So stfu, you're a second year who's taking Math 1AA3, what a shame...
Please don't try and group physicists and mathematicians in the same category as engineers. They aren't even close.

Physicists and mathematicians use their brains to think about novel strategies to solve novel problems. Engineers use what they've learned for the rest of their lives in relatively similar situations.

If I were in a room with a physicist and/or mathematician, my logic would be sound - not as sound as theirs, perhaps, but I'm fairly confident I could hold my own against, say, Mahratta.

A room with an engineer? Someone like you? Somehow, I think I'd be okay. I highly doubt any engineer would "murder me" with their logic.