MacInsiders Logo

For those that took Math 1A03/1AA3 or are taking it now

Old 01-23-2011 at 03:25 PM   #31
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Sheesh. It's not his Math that's a problem, it's your reading skills. What he meant was that 9 course units =/= 9 course units from different courses, in terms of difficulty of the course load.
But the thing is.... ITS THE SAME COURSES, divided in different terms.

@Kamran

Why don't you go suck Manhratta dick. All you've been rambling about is how big his **** is.

Arguing with you is like arguing with a Creationist. They just don't understand that evolution is a fact. Just like 1=1 . But you say that Logic and math don't rule this world. They do, if you don't like go to a different universe.

Umm, Mathematicians use what they've learned and physicists too ! You think every scientists discovers everything by himself.
Old 01-23-2011
Commander
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:30 PM   #32
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
You're name is Sheikh, so stfu. And you're first name is Kamran. That's pretty paki to me.. You're English is crap. You don't know what logic means and you've used that word. You don't know what equal means too.

You're just an arrogant kid who realized he has no future and decided to show others that he's so smart by arguing something he knows nothing about.
Oops.

Had to be done, the irony was too much.

I think it was a respectable debate until the racism made it's way into it... Not cool, man. Not cool.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-23-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Elaboration.

Entropy likes this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:31 PM   #33
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
But the thing is.... ITS THE SAME COURSES, divided in different terms.

@Kamran

Why don't you go suck Manhratta dick. All you've been rambling about is how big his **** is.

Arguing with you is like arguing with a Creationist. They just don't understand that evolution is a fact. Just like 1=1 . But you say that Logic and math don't rule this world. They do, if you don't like go to a different universe.

Umm, Mathematicians use what they've learned and physicists too ! You think every scientists discovers everything by himself.
Lol I happen to like his way of thinking - it's mathematic and logical, but he's not egotistical enough to assume that it's useful without some background in philosophy, or languages, or something like that.

And please stop trying to use pejoratives against me, it's really not making you look any brighter, especially not when you've already embarrassed yourself this much thus far.

It's the same courses, but you have extra lectures. If you can't understand that, then you're either trolling or just ignorant.

I'd just like to hear you say, if you really think 1=1, that it's equally as hard to take 20 classes in a semester versus taking 1 class for 20 semesters. Please, if you're right, just type out that sentence and tell me you agree with it. And then read it back to yourself and tell me how ridiculous it sounds.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:32 PM   #34
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
You're name is Sheikh, so stfu. And you're first name is Kamran. That's pretty paki to me.. You're English is crap. You don't know what logic means and you've used that word. You don't know what equal means too.

You're just an arrogant kid who realized he has no future and decided to show others that he's so smart by arguing something he knows nothing about.
A) It's Shaikh. And it's "your". Actually, now I seriously think you're trolling me because no one would accidentally make that many typos in a sentence berating someone for his English.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:43 PM   #35
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol I happen to like his way of thinking - it's mathematic and logical, but he's not egotistical enough to assume that it's useful without some background in philosophy, or languages, or something like that.

And please stop trying to use pejoratives against me, it's really not making you look any brighter, especially not when you've already embarrassed yourself this much thus far.

It's the same courses, but you have extra lectures. If you can't understand that, then you're either trolling or just ignorant.

I'd just like to hear you say, if you really think 1=1, that it's equally as hard to take 20 classes in a semester versus taking 1 class for 20 semesters. Please, if you're right, just type out that sentence and tell me you agree with it. And then read it back to yourself and tell me how ridiculous it sounds.
Shaikh is a terrorist name. So I don't care how it's spelled like

You don't even know Math, that's why you are taking 1AA3 in second year. I would kill myself if I were you.

And yes I know the difference between your (possessive) and you're(you are). However, "typos" do not trouble be because they are trifles. What troubles my mind is the fact that idiots like Kamran are present in this universe. The subatomic particles that made his body could be used for something else.

You know how this argument started?

Me : Math eng is harder than MAth 1aa3

Kamran (who is taking 1aa3 in SECOND YEAR ?) : Math 1 is easy you don't even do fourier analysis

Me: (I didn't say it was hard, I said it was harder...)

Kamran : Math 1zz5 is harder than what you do..

Me: Proved him that it's the same course as a part of 1zb3 and 1zc3

He says it's rushed. Some peopled are good with that and some aren't.

I say now, classes are not coherent we do two things at once but it's not rushed. Some people are good with that and some people aren't.

Conclusion : New course arrangement for eng is better for some and bad for worse. For me ? I don't care because I know most of the stuff.

But and idiot like Kamran doesn't understand that. He felt bad because he is taking math 1aa3 in second year so he tries to refute me while trying to talk something that is IRRELEVANT to him (which is math in engineering I)

Last edited by Commander : 01-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:46 PM   #36
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Shaikh is a terrorist name. So I don't care how it's spelled like

You don't even know Math, that's why you are taking 1AA3 in second year. I would kill myself if I were you.
Yeah, trolling.

Well, this was fun. I suppose it's time for me to take my leave.

Good luck with 2z03 ;]
Old 01-23-2011 at 03:51 PM   #37
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Yeah, trolling.

Well, this was fun. I suppose it's time for me to take my leave.

Good luck with 2z03 ;]
At least I am not taking a first year math course next year.

Last edited by Commander : 01-23-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:02 PM   #38
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
And you're proving my point because first year eng math is harder than the math Sci guys are taking.
They're very similar - the main difference is that engineering students cover more in terms of methods, while science students cover more in terms of geometric reasoning.

Quote:
I am not afraid of math. I normally learn it before because there's some physics that I have to understand. That's why I had to go through pain of self study to learn vector calculus for Maxwell equations... (learning the math was soo borin..)
It's worthwhile to specify what you mean by "math". It appears that you think of math as a collection of tools - which it is, to a degree. Indeed, engineering math is basically just that collection, and not much more - really, even the more 'abstract' mathematics used in theoretical physics (for example, group theory) falls into this first conception of the discipline.

So, when you say that "engineering math is harder", you are fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of mathematics - that is to say, you're generalizing mathematics as merely an extension of the tools that you've learned so far.

Quote:
And now I have to to learn and master Differential equations... (Yes I know Maxwell equations are PDE even if you can write them in integral form but I skipped the chapters for SDE)
Uhh...good for you, I suppose. I'm not sure how this is remotely germane, but...

Last edited by Mahratta : 01-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:20 PM   #39
mcmull19

Liked: 6 Times

Alright, I'm just going to interject here for a minute.

Math 1A03/1AA3/1BB3 pretty much the exact same material as Math 1ZA3/1ZB3/1ZB3 which is the same as Math 1Z04/1ZZ5. Sure topics are learnt in different orders, and I bet small things are omitted depending on the program, while others are examined more deeply.

So if you want to go ahead and say Math 1ZA3/1ZB3/1ZB3 is harder than Math 1A03/1AA3, I guess that would be true simply because there is no linear algebra regarded in the science portion unless you include 1B03. Sure the testing is also different written vs multiple choice, but in the end its best to know your shit, no matter what class/program you are in.

On regards of this 1=1 or 9=/=9 bullshit, the courses are different, and there have obviously been some changes. I don't know how Math 1ZA3/1ZB3/1ZB3 are run, but I had Math 1Z04/1ZZ5 two years ago (the first year for those courses). Math 1Z04 had 4 lecture hours per week, but only 3 were spent actually learning new material, the additional class was spent with the professor taking up practice problems. Math 1ZZ5 was the same except there were 5 lecture hours per week, with 4 spend on new material and 1 for taking up practice problems. If the new courses have the profs taking up problems in class then the workload is comparable throughout the year. If the profs are not taking up problems in class (which I doubt they are), then there are more lectures to learn material in Math 1ZA3/1ZB3/1ZB3. However, this might mean there is less time spent on taking up and approaching problems, so more time would have to be spent less where learning it.

On another note, Math 2Z03/2ZZ3 is pretty much the exact same as two of the science second year maths, 2A03/2C03 (correct me if I'm wrong) and I believe those classes are cross-listed with the math student's math classes, 2X03/2XX3. You learn basically the same stuff in anyone of these courses. How do I know that they are the same? Because people in Eng Phys and in straight Phys take Math 3C03/3D03 TOGETHER! So yea, by taking 5 completely different math classes, both groups of people end up acquiring the same knowledge through these course 5 courses.

TL;DR: Who cares what math class you are in? At the end of the day they are all basically the same, albeit they are likely tailored to your specific program.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:31 PM   #40
Commander
P.I.M.P

Ok, do Science students or Math students do any multivariable calculus after partial derivatives in First year ?

If not , math in eng is more than in other programs. Not saying engineering students are better, just trying to state a fact.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:34 PM   #41
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Are you guys new to the internet?

Deegs14 says thanks to Rakim for this post.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:52 PM   #42
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmull19 View Post
I believe those classes are cross-listed with the math student's math classes, 2X03/2XX3. You learn basically the same stuff in anyone of these courses. How do I know that they are the same? Because people in Eng Phys and in straight Phys take Math 3C03/3D03 TOGETHER! So yea, by taking 5 completely different math classes, both groups of people end up acquiring the same knowledge through these course 5 courses.
2Z/2C are pretty much equivalent, since 2C03 treats differential equations, which is in itself applied - there's a bit of theory here and there, but not much. Math and science students both take 2C03.

2X03 and 2A03 are not equivalent. In terms of methods for computation (which aren't all that important for people in mathematics), 2A03/2ZZ3 contains as much as 2X03 and 2XX3 together. However, 2X & 2XX treat vector calculus properly - that is to say, they put it on a rather more rigorous footing. That's why 2A03 is not a valid prerequisite for math 2XX3 (i.e. not equivalent to 2X03) - it doesn't cover the things that are really of interest in terms of mathematics, and doesn't really have an element of "mathematical maturity".

In other words, vector calculus as treated in science and engineering is basically just 'plug & chug' - which is, of course, the point of a calculus (a fancy word for a logical system, at its simplest). The way it's taught and used in engineering and science courses shows this to a tee; one can work in the calculus without understanding how the calculus works.

Quote:
But you say that Logic and math don't rule this world. They do, if you don't like go to a different universe.
Rubbish. If you read a spot into the why of mathematics - kind of like working outside of the calculus - you'll see that even the most "trustworthy" mathematical system is doomed to either inconsistency or incompleteness. Of course, we're hoping that it's incompleteness - we don't have any way of showing that our hope is well-founded, though, without using (non-mathematical) induction, which itself is inherently problematic from a deductive point of view.

In this light, I hope you can see why this is (hilariously) ironic:
"Arguing with you is like arguing with a Creationist. They just don't understand that evolution is a fact. Just like 1=1"

Last edited by Mahratta : 01-23-2011 at 05:19 PM.

mcmull19 says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 01-23-2011 at 05:20 PM   #43
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Off topic but I'm looking to broaden my understanding of mathematics and improve my analytical skills, primarily for more advanced positions in the finance industry. What courses do you recommend taking?
Old 01-23-2011 at 05:35 PM   #44
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Off topic but I'm looking to broaden my understanding of mathematics and improve my analytical skills, primarily for more advanced positions in the finance industry. What courses do you recommend taking?
For finance, I'm really not sure. I haven't taken courses in mathematical finance, but I remember attending a "career night" where they recommended some of the following:
-2K03, which apparently a rather elementary introduction to financial math
-4K03, which is a rather more sophisticated approach, and is apparently very important if you plan on doing graduate work in the field

You'd also want to do work in statistics - at least 2D03, probably 2MB3 and further courses as well.
You may also be interested in courses in applied mathematics - upper-year calculus, of course (2A03), and differential equations (2C03, 3F03, 3FF3). It's an area of mathematics that I'm not particularly fond of, but there's definitely enough courses offered to prepare you well...

EDIT: I should add that this is a good outline for someone who wants to go into 'mathematical finance'. You definitely wouldn't need all those courses if you're just looking for a stronger mathematical background before you go into finance.

Last edited by Mahratta : 01-23-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Commie8507 says thanks to Mahratta for this post.