MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
organic chem, when to take it? pandachi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 04-20-2009 08:38 PM
What organic chem should I take? aviaf Academics 4 10-10-2008 11:18 PM

Time to think about organic chem?

Old 03-06-2010 at 11:40 AM   #1
dedust
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Time to think about organic chem?
From the people i have talked to, Organic chemistry from what i have heard is one of the hardest courses they ever have taken in university. So, is it really bad as they say? If any one has taken this course during school or during the summer please enlighten me on this course.And is their disadvantages to taking the course in the summer oppose to the school year other than the limited time?

Thanks
Mick
Old 03-06-2010 at 01:51 PM   #2
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedust View Post
From the people i have talked to, Organic chemistry from what i have heard is one of the hardest courses they ever have taken in university. So, is it really bad as they say? If any one has taken this course during school or during the summer please enlighten me on this course.And is their disadvantages to taking the course in the summer oppose to the school year other than the limited time?

Thanks
Mick
It's hard because people don't usually give it as much time as it deserves during the school year. Taking it over the summer is a good idea since most people I know who took it during the summer did very well - you won't be overwhelmed by all the other courses you'd be taking during the school year but at the same time, it would be very intense (be prepared for that), 3 hour labs every week, assignments, 3 hour lectures twice a week and you'd be missing out on summer!
Old 03-06-2010 at 02:28 PM   #3
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

It is supposed to be a lot easier during the summer. Also you can take it at other universities during the summer, apparently York's Organic Chemistry course is A LOT easier than McMaster's.
Old 03-06-2010 at 02:52 PM   #4
dtemps

Liked: 1 Time

Don't go in with the "It's so hard I'm going to die mentality" because if you study consistently through the term and come prepared for each class then you will do fine. The problem comes when people are intimidated by the work and leave it all to the last minute, exactly what you shouldn't do.

I took one half in the summer and am taking the other half now, both seem completely manageable if you don't cheat yourself when it comes to studying.

On a side note, I didn't have the first term professor (Stover??) so I can't speak for his class.

sana1504 likes this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 02:58 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Wonder how many people get 12's in the course.
Old 03-06-2010 at 04:32 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I took organic chemistry in the summer and during the school year. When we took 2OA3 in the summer of 2007, we actually covered more material than the Fall 2007 term.

I did much better in the second orgo during the school year.

The key with orgo is that you need to practice the problems and take the time to absorb the material. Whether or not you can do it in the summer is up to you.

Last edited by Lij : 03-06-2010 at 08:50 PM.

sana1504 likes this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 05:08 PM   #7
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

How hard is it in comparison to 1ao3 and 1aa3?
Old 03-06-2010 at 06:13 PM   #8
dedust
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

how can you sign up fro summer school for another university?
Old 03-06-2010 at 06:21 PM   #9
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Do it in the summer! I think i found chem 1aa3 harder than the organic chems. I took both last summer and they're not impossible. I was expecting it to be far worse than it actually was. And I enjoyed a lot of the labs too, unlike first year chem.
Old 03-06-2010 at 06:53 PM   #10
Alchemist11
Elite Member

"I think i found chem 1aa3 harder than the organic chems. "

Really? I would never have expected that - basically every other person I've ever spoken to who's taken the course thinks it's one of the hardest chem courses, lol, and 1AA3 a lot of people say is easier than 1A03, which isn't really difficult.
Old 03-06-2010 at 10:47 PM   #11
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

Really? I would never have expected that - basically every other person I've ever spoken to who's taken the course thinks it's one of the hardest chem courses, lol, and 1AA3 a lot of people say is easier than 1A03, which isn't really difficult.
I preferred 1A03, probably because I can't stand memorizing all the orgo terminology.

Old 03-06-2010 at 10:56 PM   #12
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:

I find orgo easier than first year chem.

Orgo is just the same thing over and over again, draw arrows, draw arrows, draw arrows.
Old 03-06-2010 at 11:46 PM   #13
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Yeah, I preferred 1A03 as well Mahratta - I'm in the same boat as you, I like the...problem solving aspect better. But I also know most people find it easier to do decently in organic than to do really well in inorganic.
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:08 AM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I know a guy who says he considered Orgo a bird course since, and I quote, "It didn't require any thinking."

So the answer is, you need to assess your own strengths and weaknesses as a student. How do you think you'll find organic chem? (Based on your chemistry background, and how easy you find it)
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:16 AM   #15
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Yeah, I preferred 1A03 as well Mahratta - I'm in the same boat as you, I like the...problem solving aspect better. But I also know most people find it easier to do decently in organic than to do really well in inorganic.
Well I wouldn't call the organic chem you do in 1AA3 an accurate reflection of the material in 2OA3 or 2OB3.