MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Laptop Buying Tips Chad Technology 224 09-02-2009 02:48 PM
Tips For Buying a New Laptop: Extended Edition (Part One) crucif3x Technology 27 07-31-2009 11:55 AM

Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two

Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two

BY ANSON POON, MACINSIDERS INSIDER AGENT

Click here for Part 1

Well the last article was about more of the broader characteristics to consider when first deciding a type of laptop to purchase. This one is more about what you will face when you finally enter the heated shopping floor full of tech sales urging you that their weekly special laptop is the best thing ever and the extended warranty will save cats from trees or some other ludicrous marketing mumbo jumbo.

1. Brand: Many people associate brand to a particular quality. Apple = quality and customer service, Dell = mass marketed laptops, IBM/Lenovo = Business laptops. To a point, these are valid assumptions but do not assume this to be the absolute truth. Each model is different and each series has their specific attributes. Remember to do your research online using reputable sources or if better try using a friend’s machine if they have it.

2. Type: In the last few years, a few types of laptops have emerged. Make sure you choose the one that’s right for your purpose.

a. Netbook: Small and portable. Usually have good battery life but smaller screens (12” or smaller). No DVD drive. Most have the same specs (Intel Atom, Intel GMA950, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD) so not much variation there but see if your particular model has any special features like more RAM or maybe a nicer Atom processor (N280?) or a larger battery always help. Always try to buy the 6 cell or larger battery options as usually the biggest difference between netbooks are the battery life. An example is the Asus 1005HA.

b. CULV: Basically, a higher class netbook with more power and a bit more screen real estate (13.3” to 15.4”). A newer class of laptops that use a ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) processor. A still ambiguous class as there are not too many classified under this range, but generally slightly larger and faster than netbooks.. An example is the Acer Timeline.

c. Ultraportable: The ultimate performance to size machine. Usually pretty small (11” to 14”) but doesn’t skimp on features. Many have discrete/separate graphics cards able to handle light to medium gaming and extravagant designs to attract customers. The type of laptop you buy if you need size and cost is not as much a concern to you. Usually above $1000. An example is the Dell Studio XPS 13.

d. Consumer: The pinnacle of cost savings. Usually 14” to 15.4”. Contains more modest components comparable to the ultraportable but at a lower price. Has the lowest average price next to netbooks. Usually not as nicely “designed” as ultraportables but built to last and be mass produced. The kind you see on sale all the time in Best Buy flyers for $599. Take special care to inspect the casing of these laptops as many a time, the screen component is not re-enforced and the screen can easily damage. An example would be the Toshiba Satellite L305.

e. Multimedia/Desktop Replacement/Gaming: Screen size rules all. (16” and up) These are laptops designed with speed in mind. The most heavily spec’ed out machines with dedicated video cards and fast processors to chew through any material you throw at it. The larger screen lets you experience multimedia the way it was meant to be seen. These are more expensive than the consumer class due to their higher specifications but also heavier due to their screens. However, some of the multimedia ones, have been dropping in price. Some also come with Blu-Ray players and burners if you’re really into HD content. Not recommended for university use unless you do not plan to move it from your room. An example would be the HP Pavilion DV7.

3. Accessories: Ok, so now you have your dream laptop in your hands ready to be loaded up with your favorite Lost episodes and years of Facebook and MSN. What else do you need to bring to university with your laptop?

a. Laptop bag: Some prefer a full fledged laptop backpack, some prefer a slimmer sleeve that they can just slip over the laptop. Both sides of the spectrum and everything in between are fine; just get something to protect your laptop. You don’t want to ruin your laptop because of a preventable damage from a fall or during transit from class to class.

b. Mouse: Most already have these at home, but don’t forget to bring one. It may seem the touchpad is enough but it definitely isn’t. Springing for a “laptop” mouse might be a good idea if you’re moving it a lot, but do consider the size of the mouse. I see too many people buying a super small mouse because it’s “portable” only to find it painfully hard to use because of the miniscule buttons. Try to strike a balance between portability and usability. Also, try to get one with a smaller nub and avoid ones that have a large “receiver”, they will be VERY annoying to take around otherwise.

c. Secondary battery: As I said before, watching your battery drop to zero as your 5000 word essay fades to oblivion is stuff nightmare are made of. Always try to have a secondary one ready in your bag, just in case. Try to bring for the “extended” version to get more juice out of your rig.

d. External DVD Drive: If you just so happened to have purchased a netbook, congratulations! But don’t forget one thing, it doesn’t have a DVD drive. If you can see yourself using DVDs a lot to watch movies or back up stuff (which you should do regularly), consider buying an external DVD drive that you can use when you really need one.

e. Extended warranty: Mostly useless. The ones offered by Best Buy are mostly just used to get more money out of your wallet and rarely actually help. As long as your fairly careful with your gear, you should be fine.

f. Software Suites: Microsoft Office or similar is essential. But you should already have a copy from an old computer. If you don’t already own a copy, consider purchasing the “Student/Home” edition. These usually are much cheaper than the normal retail package and come with everything you’ll need (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Other program specific software suits (Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, etc) are obviously program specific and you should refer to students already in the program to see if you really need them or if a free alternative (GIMP) might suffice.

g. External Hard Drives:
If you’re like me, you’ll probably download a lot from DC++ and eventually you’ll run out of space in your internal hard disk on your laptop. An external HD solves this dilemma and is essential for backing up your data (which you should do monthly or as often as possible). It’s a nightmare to lose a term’s worth of notes right before final exams 
h. USB Memory Keys: Many institutions give them out during Welcome Week, you can skip on purchasing these.

i. Printer: Definitely get a laser printer, skip on the inkjet ones. At first, it may seem that inkjet printers are cheaper, but over time if you factor in the cost of ink, laser printers make much more sense. Color is a luxury, if you don’t plan to print color a lot, McMaster has an awesome store called Underground that will allow you to print color for a very reasonable fee. If your moving in with a fellow roommate, consider purchasing a network printer and sharing the cost of it!

Well that’s it folks, follow these steps and you should find your dream setup that should last you through the best four years of your life at the awesome McMaster University. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask in the comments and I’m sure either myself or another friendly and helpful MacInsiders member will help you figure out that problem of yours. Happy shopping!

ALSO BE SURE TO CHECK OUT CHAD'S LAPTOP BUYING TIPS

Afzal says thanks to crucif3x for this post.

AnthraX, morgan like this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-15-2009 at 07:29 PM   #2
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 143 Times
laser printer - $60(havent seen a good inkjet that cheap)
how long ink lasts - endless
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-15-2009 at 09:46 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
laser printer - $60(havent seen a good inkjet that cheap)
how long ink lasts - endless
When you say ink, you are referring to toner for the laser printer right?
Old 08-15-2009 at 10:01 PM   #4
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
When you say ink, you are referring to toner for the laser printer right?
yes, of course.

Old 08-15-2009 at 10:03 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
yes, of course.
Yeah, I haven't had to change my toner in a long time... I can't even remember when.
Old 08-16-2009 at 03:08 AM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science

Liked: 416 Times
btw, MS Office Ultimate is on sale right now for $77 (including the backup DVD) http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...a/default.aspx
Old 08-16-2009 at 04:07 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
"e. Extended warranty: Mostly useless. The ones offered by Best Buy are mostly just used to get more money out of your wallet and rarely actually help. As long as your fairly careful with your gear, you should be fine."

Most big box company warranties are useless, but for apple products I would highly recommend buying the 3 year extended applecare warranty. They have excellent customer service, and unlike other companies they try to actually fix the problem instead of trying to fault you for it. You can always buy the warranty up to a year after you've purchased your laptop.
Old 08-16-2009 at 11:44 PM   #8
crucif3x
Program: Life Science
Year: First
Residence: Moulton Hall

Liked: 21 Times
Yes...I would actually have to agree with jesus. Although I haven't personally used AppleCare Warranty. I did have to fix my iPod Touch once and the people at the Apple Store, well Genius Bar, specifically were extremely nice. I definitely could feel that they truly back their customers up (when in warranty ). So Apple is an exception to that. And as it applies to everything in life, there are exceptions to every rule
- Moulton Hall
Old 08-31-2009 at 10:09 AM   #9
lmasud
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: Second

Liked: 33 Times
i like the pic at the start of the article

has anyone used a netbook for school?
i would think you would need to buy a pc along with a netbook
since a netbook has limited capacity
Old 08-31-2009 at 11:01 PM   #10
Boolean
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 169 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
i like the pic at the start of the article

has anyone used a netbook for school?
i would think you would need to buy a pc along with a netbook
since a netbook has limited capacity
There are high capacity sd cards that you can use for secondary storage but your right about needed a pc too.

I personally find netbooks good for battery life and note-taking. Maybe light applications like email and such. But i dont think they do well replacing a standard sized notebook.

that's just my opinion, i also find that those small keyboards take a bit of getting used to.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

lmasud says thanks to Boolean for this post.

Article Tools