MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Gym Times houstatlanta Athletics & Recreation 4 08-08-2011 12:51 PM
drop in times? ninjamachete General Discussion 2 09-20-2010 09:33 PM
Unable to change tutorial times in SOLAR? Alchemist11 Academics 1 09-08-2010 05:20 PM
How do you change times for your core, lab, and tutorial for your timetable on solar memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-15-2010 12:26 PM
Do we pick our Lab, Core and Tutorial times? Mac12 Academics 2 07-07-2008 09:36 AM

tips on lab/ tutorial times

Old 08-08-2011 at 09:09 AM   #1
MacJk

Liked: 7 Times

tips on lab/ tutorial times
i was wondering if anyone have tips on how i should time my tutorials/ labs
for instance, would it be better to have them in the morning, around the same time as the lectures ...etc
thanks
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:13 AM   #2
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

Here's what I'm doing: I have my cores earlier the morning & with a 1 hr or 2 hr gap I have a lab. That way I can refresh my memory on the subject before going into the class. I just mentioned this to someone else, so I'll do the same for u: try to keep your labs towards the end of the week, that way you can get help from those who have completed it before you, earlier in the week & better prepare yourself.
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:16 AM   #3
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Personally, I like having after noon labs near the end of the week. This way the prof can cover some if not all of the material that the lab covers. [The previous statement does not apply to all classes. Ex. Bio 1A03 had labs that were quite unrelated to the material imo] And if it is in the afternoon then you don't have to wake up to a lab.

-Ish- says thanks to Mohit for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:39 AM   #4
MacJk

Liked: 7 Times

then do you think it's a good idea to place 2 labs and 3 tutorials all on friday?
'cause that way, i'll be a lot more prepared for them?
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:42 AM   #5
-Ish-

Omg, Nooo lol. Can u imagine the stress load that U'll be facing for that day ?
Try to space them out. I'm not saying to keep everything for the last day, but try to push them a little back, so that they aren't on the first n second day (aka. Monday and Tuesday). There are some labs that are fairly easy, the seniors will probably be able to give some advice on which ones. Also, the courses you are most comfortable with (for me that would be Math), it's okay to have them earlier on in the week because with help or no help, you know that you'll be able to well in them.
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:47 AM   #6
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

As Ish has said, definitely try to load them towards the later part of the week, but do *not* put them all in one day. For me, one 3-hour lab a day is enough. Having a larger tutorial/core section (ie L05 over L01) is always better, as you can discuss the lab and get a heads up on what to expect from people who have already done the lab. Try to avoid L01's and T01's like the plague

That said... if you're absolutely stuck in the first lab section, it isn't *that* bad, but it's definitely better not to be the first :p

-Ish- says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:48 AM   #7
-Ish-

Actually, I'm not sure about the tutorials. That really depends. For some subjects, the tutorials are merely taking up homework, whereas for others they are miniature tests-quizzes. Post another thread verifying which courses apply to which. Sorry.. =)
Old 08-08-2011 at 10:48 AM   #8
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Yeah labs in the early morning sucked for me but if you're a morning person it's nice to get them out of the way for the day!
Old 08-08-2011 at 12:02 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ish- View Post
Here's what I'm doing: I have my cores earlier the morning & with a 1 hr or 2 hr gap I have a lab. That way I can refresh my memory on the subject before going into the class. I just mentioned this to someone else, so I'll do the same for u: try to keep your labs towards the end of the week, that way you can get help from those who have completed it before you, earlier in the week & better prepare yourself.
Prob won't help much. Most labs and tuts run a week or two behind. You'll be covering material totally unrelated to them in core.

I try to get labs with a 1 hr break before (tuts dont matter), so I can screw around, eat, etc. Its the only time 1 hr breaks are useful. Avoid L01. Usually I just time them to fit between classes, since I commute, and avoid having to stay around longer on a particular day.

-Ish- says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 12:08 PM   #10
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Simplest way to put it:

Labs: Push them near end of the week so that you can hear from others how bad they were, get pre-lab help from avenue discussions, as well as more time to hand them in. But realize that midterms are also often on Fridays (life-sci at least), so I would put thursday as the sweet spot for 3hr labs.

Tutorials: Doesn't matter. At all. I might even encourage having them early in the week so that you get that extra tutorial before midterms to ask questions.

Hope that helps.

-Ish- says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 04:25 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Don't rely on the people earlier in the week to help you out for labs; you'll only be screwing yourself over.
Personally, I think Monday of the second week is best for EOW labs...because by that point you have likely covered the material in class, but you're not waiting forever to do your lab (I hated having labs Friday of the second week, it was terrible). On Mondays, you also have the weekend right before to prepare.
Old 08-08-2011 at 04:40 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

High number, odd number labs = more time for prof to cover the material, and more chance to understand the material before lab time. (usually)
Old 08-08-2011 at 06:40 PM   #13
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Don't rely on the people earlier in the week to help you out for labs; you'll only be screwing yourself over.
Personally, I think Monday of the second week is best for EOW labs...because by that point you have likely covered the material in class, but you're not waiting forever to do your lab (I hated having labs Friday of the second week, it was terrible). On Mondays, you also have the weekend right before to prepare.
What if you have a case of the mondays though? Monday's the worst.
And I don't think I've ever gotten tired of waiting to do a lab...that's just silly.

Maybe it just depends on the type of person you are. I like to leave things till last minute.
Old 08-08-2011 at 06:45 PM   #14
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I personally like clustering classes, labs and tutorials all together. You really waste a lot of time packing and unpacking your things and walking back and forth from the library or student center with an hour breaks.
Old 08-08-2011 at 09:54 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
What if you have a case of the mondays though? Monday's the worst.
And I don't think I've ever gotten tired of waiting to do a lab...that's just silly.

Maybe it just depends on the type of person you are. I like to leave things till last minute.
Especially at the end of term, I hate it. When all other 1000 people are done all of their labs for the year, and you still have some left? Sucks.