MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's my final year at MAC- any course recommendations? mel89 Academics 2 09-01-2010 06:26 PM
review on third year life sci courses nadia1 Academics 2 07-12-2010 08:00 PM
Can anyone give me a review of these Life Science Level 2 Courses? Rakim Academics 7 06-06-2010 08:20 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM
2nd Year Life Sci Courses hello395 Academics 3 09-16-2009 11:10 AM

Tips/Recommendations on first year Life Science courses?

Old 06-25-2010 at 11:49 AM   #16
ragedevil67

Liked: 1 Time

hmm, does anyone know what upper-years courses require 1B03/1BB3 as a prerequisite?
Old 06-25-2010 at 11:50 AM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
No, you should be fine I didn't go to their session until a couple of days after I initially registered. While I found the advisors to be helpful in getting me into Kin 1Y03/1YY3, I wish I hadn't listened to them when they told me to take math 1LS3 instead of 1A03, and physics 1L03 instead of 1B03. After wasting my time with math 1LS3, I switched my second-term physics 1L03 to 1B03, but I still wish they hadn't pushed me to take 1LS3 so much. You know yourself better than an academic advisor Don't be scared to take the 'harder' courses.
For sure, a lot of people want to breeze through university but I look at university in an entirely different perspective. I see university as a chance to challenge myself and push myself to be the best I can (and not only academically).

I don't know what I would do if I just breezed through university. I'm still young, I'll continue to challenge myself while I can and leave the easy stuff in life for when I'm older.

m0nica says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-25-2010 at 11:55 AM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedevil67 View Post
hmm, does anyone know what upper-years courses require 1B03/1BB3 as a prerequisite?
Mostly other physics courses. You should at least look at your required courses for a couple programs you want to get into. Use the Undergraduate Calendar: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current/ to look that up. Also, if you plan on going to professional or graduate school then you should look up their prerequisites. It's a bit early for graduate school, but professional school might be something you want to look into since you can be accepted into professional school after 2-3 years of undergraduate studies. (Meaning you have to apply in the beginning of 2nd or 3rd year).
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:35 PM   #19
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

very well put i'm taking your advice, i like being challenged too for when you know something's easy you tend to take it for granted, then you end up being such a lazy ass. haha
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:38 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nica View Post
very well put i'm taking your advice, i like being challenged too for when you know something's easy you tend to take it for granted, then you end up being such a lazy ass. haha
Yes, that's definitively the case. I think that what happened during my first year. I didn't find the material too different from highschool. I did well but I could have done so much better. Second year was much more challenging and I thought I was going to do so bad but I ended up doing much better than first year.
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:43 PM   #21
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Omg i know what you mean. it's cause when you know you have a hard route to pass through, you freak out and so you wind up being so worried, theeen actually start pushing yourself. lol
were you in lifesci first year too?

ps. you're insanely helpful, your name is everywhere here at macinsiders it's amazing
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:46 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Omg i know what you mean. it's cause when you know you have a hard route to pass through, you freak out and so you wind up being so worried, theeen actually start pushing yourself. lol
were you in lifesci first year too?

ps. you're insanely helpful, your name is everywhere here at macinsiders it's amazing
Yes, I entered into first year life science when I came to McMaster. I believe my year was the year they decided to split the general science program into 4 distinct programs.

Yeah, I've been quite active on MacInsiders. This is my favourite extracurriculars/volunteering position.
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:48 PM   #23
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

lol jeremys the man! it's so easy to lose focus too. There are so many courses I should have done well in but ended up with a B because I gave up halfway through the semester..just don't let that happen to you lol

m0nica says thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:49 PM   #24
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

oh i seee, how did you find 1B03 Physics ?
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:54 PM   #25
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

lol that was one of the courses i could have done well in. actually jeremy was tutoring me in it for a while! I started off with an 80 in the course.. ended with a 65 D:. YOu really have to keep on top of your readings and practice if physics isnt your strong suit
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:58 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
It was pretty easy for me. A majority of the course is kinematics/dynamics. The ending was a bit challenging because it was waves and fluid (Something we didn't go indepth in highschool). So if you learned the same material as me, remember not to slack even though you already know kinematics/dynamics because you'll need to stay on the ball for waves and fluid.

Also, highschool for me was very equation-based. In university you learn a lot more theory and "why".
Old 06-25-2010 at 01:11 PM   #27
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Basically, if you come to class and you are able to do both the practice tests and the online assignments BY YOURSELF WITHOUT HELP, you will be in good shape. In class, you'll learn the theory and as Jhan here mentioned the "why" (which DOES appear on tests!). Online you will be drilled with question after question to the point that *hopefully* the problems will become second nature. The labs are a place to get free marks essentially; you have to get the lab TA's to sign your lab book through every step of the lab. I'd highly recommend reading over your labs before attending them!

Just a notice for the midterms: For me, they were multiple choice. However, there were trick answers. If you forgot the role of friction in a problem, but used all the correct steps, you would come to an answer that was WRONG but still an option on the test. So watch out for those!

Last edited by Freak705 : 06-25-2010 at 01:13 PM.

m0nica says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 06-25-2010 at 01:13 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Basically, if you come to class and you are able to do both the practice tests and the online assignments BY YOURSELF WITHOUT HELP, you will be in good shape. The labs are a place to get free marks essentially; you have to get the lab TA's to sign your lab book through every step of the lab. I'd highly recommend reading over your labs before attending them!
I would also recommend doing the assignments in groups, maybe 2-3 people. It's a good way to teach and learn from others. Just remember to not just get the equation and plug in numbers, if you understand the equations then you'll be better off during tests and exams.

m0nica says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-25-2010 at 01:20 PM   #29
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Thank you everyone!!!
Old 06-25-2010 at 01:26 PM   #30
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

lol.... one sec, last question i promise haha
you guys know how physics questions take a huge amount of time to get done, is that gonna be the case in univ too? is it gonna be as similar as highschool questions in terms of time length.... like how much time do you have for tests and stuff?