MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
late go bus? Joyceyblank First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 10-09-2011 02:14 PM
Late Registration nabeelf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2011 09:16 PM
Too late for a macpass? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-05-2010 12:09 AM
Too late to apply? armiebaby First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-09-2010 05:09 PM
It's Late!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-29-2008 12:14 AM

Is it Too Late for Reinstatement?

Old 07-22-2013 at 04:52 PM   #1
TruthTalk

Liked: 0 Times

Is it Too Late for Reinstatement?
Hi,

I was in the B. Tech Program and was kicked out because of a low average.
I took the last year off. I was unable to go to school since I couldn't afford it
and had to resort to working. After having some money I just recently took a few courses
@ Athabasca. Unfortunately, I will find out those marks at the end of August.
Also, I was diagnosed with severe ADHD and am seeing a private clinic and psychiatrist
because of this issue. When I was in B.Tech, I had completed 5/6 courses with an avg of 6.5, failing 1. Second semester was quite the opposite, completely messed up.
The reason I'm asking this late is because I finally have some financial support from my parents who refused before, but see how I determined I am now to get into school. Is it possible to apply for January admission? As most of the courses I am missing are from the 2nd semester, only one courses from first semester...
Please let me know if it is still possible to get back into school, or what my next steps should be.
Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2013 at 06:06 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Your best bet is to contacy the academic advisors for B.Tech/Eng ASAP!

TruthTalk says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-22-2013 at 09:18 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Contact Darlene, she is a btech academic advisor; emil her and explain your situation. If she doesn't reply back, go and talk to her.
Here's her contact info:
John Hodgins Engineering Building (JHE), Room A214 - x24646
E-mail: [email protected]

TruthTalk says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 07-22-2013 at 09:49 PM   #4
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Consider going to college instead. It would be easier to work out your personal problem and build a stronger foundation. College also cost so much less and in the end you can upgrade to a Engineering degree if you feel like it.
Old 07-23-2013 at 06:07 PM   #5
TruthTalk

Hey guys thanks for the replies.
I emailed her and she said unfortunately June 30th was the deadline for reinstatement:(
and their program is full for this yr.
Does anyone know what my best bet would be right now.... to
complete a year of studying at least... I don't want to waste 8 more months.
Working is fine, but I really just want to study!
Old 07-23-2013 at 06:09 PM   #6
TruthTalk

Ideally, I want to get into Eng I.
Old 07-23-2013
toplel
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-23-2013 at 06:34 PM   #7
TruthTalk

:(((((((((((( fml
Old 07-23-2013 at 08:01 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post
Ideally, I want to get into Eng I.
If you want engineering, then you gotta work hard. Even thought the deadline for reinstatement has passed, i think there's still some hope!

You could take some courses from other faculties (lets say 4 each term) and work hard to get a really high gpa! Then when you finish these courses in april, talk to your advisor and show her that your study habits have improved a lot (they like to see that stuff).
That way you have a good chance of reinstating into either btech or eng1. But definitely talk to your advisor before doing that. Also, you might have to take special permissions from the other departments/faculties, but that shouldn't be an issue now.

So yea make sure that the courses that you're gonna take are of interest to you and you know that you can score high grades in them! These courses don't need to be science courses, they can be econ courses, what matters is taking courses that are "of interest" to you.
Good luck!
Old 07-23-2013 at 09:50 PM   #9
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
If you want engineering, then you gotta work hard. Even thought the deadline for reinstatement has passed, i think there's still some hope!

You could take some courses from other faculties (lets say 4 each term) and work hard to get a really high gpa! Then when you finish these courses in april, talk to your advisor and show her that your study habits have improved a lot (they like to see that stuff).
That way you have a good chance of reinstating into either btech or eng1. But definitely talk to your advisor before doing that. Also, you might have to take special permissions from the other departments/faculties, but that shouldn't be an issue now.

So yea make sure that the courses that you're gonna take are of interest to you and you know that you can score high grades in them! These courses don't need to be science courses, they can be econ courses, what matters is taking courses that are "of interest" to you.
Good luck!
How the heck are you going to get reinstated to Eng 1 after failing out of B.tech? Its cool to give the failure some hope but lets not mislead him.

College is still the best route for Eng 1.

If waiting for reinstatment:

1 year off
1 year B.tech with good enough marks to transfer to Eng 1
Into first year Eng caused nothing carry over (my biggest mistake not knowing this when I transfered)
3 years of Eng 1 after that

Total: 6 years with only Eng 1 degree to show for it.

If going to college:

3 years program
Directly to 3yrd year (won't be at Mac though or if at Mac it will be with B.tech program into their 3rd year).
1 year after 3rd

Total: 5 years with Eng 1 degree and diploma.

Last edited by AvacadoLover : 07-23-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2013 at 10:18 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
How the heck are you going to get reinstated to Eng 1 after failing out of B.tech? Its cool to give the failure some hope but lets not mislead him.
The OP was in Eng 1 before going into B.tech, which means he can reinstate into Eng if he gets high marks.

I don't ever mislead people, i know what I'm talking about

TruthTalk says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 07-24-2013 at 12:34 AM   #11
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
The OP was in Eng 1 before going into B.tech, which means he can reinstate into Eng if he gets high marks.

I don't ever mislead people, i know what I'm talking about
Wasn't mentioned in the original post but I see it now in his history.

Definitely he should just go to college. Failed Eng 1 then failed B.tech. Obviously something isn't working.
Old 07-24-2013 at 06:03 PM   #12
TruthTalk

Hey guys I talked to Ryerson..... I could get into their Comp sci program part time
Do you think it is possible to get into ENG I after that with high enough marks?
Old 07-24-2013 at 09:49 PM   #13
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post
Hey guys I talked to Ryerson..... I could get into their Comp sci program part time
Do you think it is possible to get into ENG I after that with high enough marks?
You have to ask Ryerson and see if they allow such transfers. Tell them that you want to do engineering and ask them what average you need in that 1 year of comp sci that you're gonna do.

Unless you're talking about getting into Eng 1 at mac..in that case you have to talk to Maria White from the engineering office. Just email Maria and see what she says, here's her contact info:
John Hodgins Engineering Building (JHE), Room A214 - x24646
E-mail: [email protected]