MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-05-2010 at 11:41 PM   #1
shay2014

Liked: 4 Times

Too Much, Too Soon
Heyy

so I'm first year student commuting home from oakville (20 mins) . I'm going to be working during the school year, but would still love to get involved within school. I read about all these social clubson the msu site that I would love to be apart of but i'm i little worried. so my question is.... should i get involved during first year or will i go insane juggling work, school, and a club or two?
Old 08-06-2010 at 12:00 AM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I think the ride to Oakville, unless there's an express, is closer to 30 minutes.
I commuted from Mississauga and I'd recommend easing into things. I know the Life Sci course load is quite intense, not sure about Comm. Studies. I'd recommend a large calendar, and picking one or two activities that you think you'd like to stick with for a while.
I.e. The Maroons might be an organization you see yourself in for some time - MacGreen may be something you want to try for a semester. Go ahead and try, there's no penalization for getting a taste of what you're interested in, just keep the number reasonable, at least for first term. If you find it doable, there's a Winter Clubsfest that you can also go all out for.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-06-2010 at 09:31 AM   #3
shay2014

wow, thanks
Old 08-06-2010 at 04:23 PM   #4
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I think it's important to consider the commitment that the club will involve- how often the club will meet, how often they hold events, etc. I don't know much about all the clubs, but I'm sure they all vary in how active they are. And also, when they meet, depending on what's more convenient for you since you will be commuting.

You can try it out and see. But you'll be at Mac for four years, so that's plenty of time to get involved. I suggest getting adjusted first, then wait until second semester or second year to get more involved.
Old 08-07-2010 at 05:48 PM   #5
shay2014

that is true . thanks so much for the advice !
Old 08-07-2010 at 06:13 PM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

In a lot of clubs, if you are not an exec member, you are not going to be doing much.
Old 08-07-2010 at 07:21 PM   #7
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

The GO bus ride from Trafalgar Carpool to Mac is about 40 mins. Besides clubs, you can also join an intramural team if you're interested in sports.
Old 08-07-2010 at 07:51 PM   #8
shay2014

I live on the border of oakville and burlington. and i've travelled to mcmaster a few times recently and it took about 20 mins? from burlington go station. using a go bus... i don't maybe i'm wrong lol i'll have to try it out again soon. and thanks all! that is true, i could just join intramural or be a genral member in a club. thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2010 at 02:16 AM   #9
Disney

Liked: 2 Times

Also, if you go to clubsfest you can just give out your email to the ones you are interested in, and they'll most likely keep you updated as long as you are on the list. That way you can have time to adjust, but still have info for the clubs whenever you have time to try them out! (lol, and you can ask them about commitment levels too)