MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-27-2008 at 06:09 AM   #1
jimmyjones

Liked: 0 Times

Topics in...
Hi

I was wondering if anybody had previous experience with courses that were topics in _____ (ex. algebra, statistics, neuroscience, not restricted to these just examples)? These courses are usually 4th year classes so I am having a hard time finding any reviews. I was just concerned with the class sizes, the genre of work that is being done in these courses, and difficulty level, any info would be extremely helpful.
Old 12-27-2008 at 08:02 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I took a course like that last year: The Ethics of Anthropology (4B03 I think?)

You are right, they are usually upper-year courses. I'm taking one next term through which is a second year Indigenous Studies course. And I think I technically another topic course in Indigenous Studies as well.

The topic usually changes each time the course is taught, which is partially why you won't find many reviews on the classes. The second reason being a large portion of the members on MacInsiders are in first and second year, and haven't had the opportunity to take these courses.

They're really like any other course, so far as I can tell. Depending on the size of the class it may be more seminar-based; meaning more focused on discussion. I've really enjoyed the ones I've taken! I like seminar-based courses, I find them easier. They're really three hours of a tutoral-like class rather than three hours of lecture.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

jimmyjones says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 12-27-2008 at 03:04 PM   #3
jimmyjones

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks lorend

I was wondering how were the marks broken down in these classes? Were there tests, quizzes, essays etc...
Old 12-29-2008 at 10:59 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It all depends on the course, and the prof.

For the second year Indigenous Studies I just completed I had a take home midterm (15%), a take home final (30%), an article critique (15%), a major essay (30%), and participation (10%).

One of my seminars was two essays (40% each) and participation (20%).

Another was final paper (35%), 3 response papers (10% each), participation and attendance (20%), online discussion (15%).

The other was major essay (40%), assignment (15%), participation (20%), and a bunch of other things equaling out the remaining 15%.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

jimmyjones says thanks to lorend for this post.