Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XDCC and torrent iceandele General Discussion 6 09-26-2013 04:16 PM

Torrent Downloads

Old 11-01-2014 at 03:27 PM   #1
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

Torrent Downloads
Hypothetically is it legal to download movies/songs from say piratebay?
Not that I'm going to, just asking.
Old 11-01-2014 at 04:09 PM   #2
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Of course.
Old 11-01-2014 at 04:11 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

ofc..
Old 11-01-2014 at 04:12 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

The name is piratebay...pirate, as in pirating, which is illegal.

The one and only time I tried downloading a movie torrent, we got a rather threatening letter from Cogeco on behalf of Paramount Pictures, threatening legal action. Just my luck, I suppose, since I know plenty of people use torrents all the time and have never had a problem.
Old 11-01-2014 at 04:12 PM   #5
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

I was about to do it.. but oh well. Hello youtube.

Last edited by kakarot : 11-01-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2014 at 06:22 PM   #6
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post

The one and only time I tried downloading a movie torrent, we got a rather threatening letter from Cogeco on behalf of Paramount Pictures, threatening legal action. Just my luck, I suppose, since I know plenty of people use torrents all the time and have never had a problem.
Really? How many years ago was it, and in what area?

I've been using Cogeco for almost 7 years, been downloading and watching all sorts of crap. Hasn't gotten a word from them.

But then again, maybe they've sent me a whole bunch of emails to my cogeco-provided mail, which I have never used or seen, and not really planning to.
Old 11-01-2014 at 06:30 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

learn how to use xdcc
Old 11-01-2014 at 06:50 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I believe current case law says that TPTB must prove who is doing the downloading. As in, it was downloaded on my Cogeco account, in my own name, but they can't prove it was me who did it (or, say, my roommate using my computer). They can send all the threatening letters they want, but they can't subpoena your computer to prove that a file is there since piracy has never (to my knowledge) been pursued as a criminal matter here. The RCMP has even said that it isn't a priority for them.

Previously, Canadian civil courts ruled that the invasion of privacy associated with matching a name to an ISP address is too great and refused to allow it, which is why in Canada we haven't seen the kind of civil action against filesharers that has been seen in the US.

You're probably fine.

nikJ says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 11-01-2014 at 10:04 PM   #9
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post

Funny, my cousin got a letter from Rogers on behalf of Paramount Pictures as well.
Old 11-01-2014 at 10:22 PM   #10
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Funny, my cousin got a letter from Rogers on behalf of Paramount Pictures as well.
There was a court case a few months ago in Toronto, where some obscure movie company with production level a bit better than Asylum pressed charges against some poor sap that downloaded their horrible movies.

The court told him to pay some amount, I don't remember whether it was 100 bucks or 1000, but in both cases it's much much less than what the company paid to get the whole court started. Which is the primary reason why companies don't do it, because unlike in USA, they can't run profit from ruining lives in Canada.