MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torrenting sites/Watch TV Online sites lorend Movies & Television 13 09-09-2010 01:05 PM

Torrenting at Mac

Old 09-14-2009 at 10:52 PM   #1
Spiraster

Liked: 0 Times

Torrenting at Mac
So I've been using DC++ and it's amazing, but I still want to torrent for things that I can't get there. So I setup utorrent and started downloading some videos, and I was getting some wicked upload speeds but pretty crappy download speeds, like they peaked at 200kB/s then stayed at less than 50 ever since. Then I noticed that even when I turned off utorrent, my internet was slow as hell, but only on my computer.

So I'm wondering does Mac frown on torrenting and decide to throttle me, or did I just accidentally blow my bandwidth (i was never told how much bandwidth we each get if there's any limit at all)?
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:55 PM   #2
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiraster View Post
So I've been using DC++ and it's amazing, but I still want to torrent for things that I can't get there. So I setup utorrent and started downloading some videos, and I was getting some wicked upload speeds but pretty crappy download speeds, like they peaked at 200kB/s then stayed at less than 50 ever since. Then I noticed that even when I turned off utorrent, my internet was slow as hell, but only on my computer.

So I'm wondering does Mac frown on torrenting and decide to throttle me, or did I just accidentally blow my bandwidth (i was never told how much bandwidth we each get if there's any limit at all)?
Last year in second semester they didnt care how much or what you were downloading. You might want to try leaving the utorrent on during the night when no one uses internet youll get much better speeds.
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:58 PM   #3
jmgk

Liked: 18 Times

If they catch you they throttle you back for 24 hours I think... It's a pain because its not just torrent traffic but all your internet traffic
Old 09-15-2009 at 05:55 AM   #4
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:

I wish that I could consider 50kB/s crappy... I usually get closer to 10...

Highest speed I've ever seen is about 300. And that only lasts a few seconds.
Old 09-15-2009 at 07:15 AM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

if you DL over 2GB in a single day you get throttled
Old 09-15-2009 at 09:48 AM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
if you DL over 2GB in a single day you get throttled
This is true.

You get throttled for the full next day.

This happened to me once in first year, I downloaded a large file and just kind of forgot about it and then the next day I could access the internet but it was so slow it wasn't even worth it. The day after it was back to normal.

Hint: If you want to download a lot or there is something you want to download that is large wait until a Friday when you are planning on going home for the weekend, or planning on going out for Saturday and won't need the internet the next day.
Old 09-15-2009 at 04:35 PM   #7
Spiraster

Awesome thanks guys. I lowered my upload limit, too just in case that was why i was throttled, cause I was uploading at around 2MB/s. And I managed to get around the throttling by changing my computer's MAC address.
Old 09-15-2009 at 06:40 PM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Awesome thanks guys. I lowered my upload limit, too just in case that was why i was throttled, cause I was uploading at around 2MB/s. And I managed to get around the throttling by changing my computer's MAC address.
You can only have 3 (IIRC) Mac addresses assigned to your student ID at the school, be careful about switching your PC's
Old 09-15-2009 at 08:05 PM   #9
Spiraster

Oh thanks for letting me know. Is there any way to check which ones I've registered to my ID or remove them?