MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-12-2010 at 01:03 PM   #1
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Toshiba vs HP ?
Im looking into buying a laptop for first year but I'm stuck as to which one to get .. I'm going into social sciences so im going to be writing a lot of essays .. and i don't know yet how much ill be using it to watch tv shows/movies.. right now im looking at

Toshiba 15.6" Intel Core i3-350M Processor 2.26GHz Laptop (L655-02G)
HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop featuring Intel Core i5-430M Processor (DV6-3058CA)
They're both basically the same other than HP has i5, and 640gb hard drive.. which also makes it 150$ more. and im pretty sure the HP has better graphics too.
The only thing i've found is that the keyboard on the HP is way harder for me to type on.. but would it be easy to adjust to it ?

I want this laptop to actually last at least a year without having problems.. so which one do you think is better/will last longer?
thankssss
Old 07-12-2010 at 01:27 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

They will both last long.. they don't sell laptops that die in 1 year, lol

They are both more than enough for writing essays and watching shows/movies/etc. The HP is better.

If you plan to game, they will both fail since both graphics cards are terrible.
Old 07-12-2010 at 01:35 PM   #3
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

I hate HP. Everyone I know who has a HP, including myself, has constant issues. Whether it's with tht insanely short battery life, or OS issues. There's always update issues and it crashes all the time. I regret getting a hp more than anything.
Old 07-12-2010 at 01:43 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
I hate HP. Everyone I know who has a HP, including myself, has constant issues. Whether it's with tht insanely short battery life, or OS issues. There's always update issues and it crashes all the time. I regret getting a hp more than anything.
All these companies mass produce laptops.. so they don't really care exactly how good it is.

Look at stores like TigerDirect and CC for better quality laptops.

But again, the laptops kirs posted are more than enough (actually, way too overqualified) for just video viewing and writing essays... you can probably get a laptop for those things at like 400$
Old 07-12-2010 at 01:44 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Doesn't Toshiba require you to go to specific stores in order to have your computer checked out if there are any problems? My roommate had to do that and it was quite annoying since there wasn't any close to McMaster.
Old 07-12-2010 at 02:01 PM   #6
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Get toshiba. I've had one, my gf has an hp. I've never had an issue, while she spends 75$ every two months for adapters. Her battery is also shot. I've never had a good experience with hp.

For service, you OBVIOUSLY go to the place you got it from if it's on warranty. If not, I'm not aware of any restrictions for repairs. I wouldn't know cause I never had a problem with my toshiba.
Old 07-12-2010 at 02:05 PM   #7
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I would not get HP. I have an HP Pavilion dv2600 Special Edition and after a year it started to give me problems. The back light used to flicker and then one day the motherboard just died and I had to get it replaced (took 3 weeks during the school year). Also the battery life is horrible. HPs *might* look better but thats it.
Old 07-12-2010 at 02:07 PM   #8
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

I used to have Toshiba and it caused me a lot of troubles (such as overheating).
It is better to go with something else. I don't think HP is a good option either but I certainly think it is better than Toshiba.
Old 07-12-2010 at 02:09 PM   #9
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

There was some discussion a while ago about laptops here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ing-28001.html

I see you are in social sci, but some things would still be relevant.
Old 07-12-2010 at 05:41 PM   #10
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

I like to show people this:
http://gizmodo.com/5406415/laptop-re...ome-out-on-top
Old 07-12-2010 at 05:56 PM   #11
ammowasted

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I was just about to post this. HP pretty much blows in all experiences that I've had with them.

You should shop around a bit more, the specs on that Toshiba aren't the greatest, you could definitely do better for $729, assuming you're looking at the one from Futureshop.
Old 07-12-2010 at 06:22 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Hmm.. ive had my HP for over 2 years now and not a single issue... i dont know what you guys do to your laptops, lol.
Old 07-12-2010 at 06:49 PM   #13
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

when's the best time to buy a laptop? now or couple of weeks before school starts
I want to try to get the best deal possible
Old 07-12-2010 at 06:50 PM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

I think sometime in August for Back to School deals.
Old 07-12-2010 at 07:08 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I would avoid HP for the time being. I have an HP TX2500 that I got just before first year, and since then I've replaced the adapter (with a third party one... screw buying the same shitty adapter again), and the motherboard. The motherboard breaking was actually my fault (punched my computer in a fit of rage), but it was only because the thing would completely lock up when I plugged in a USB anything, regardless of OS and how many BIOs updates I did.

On an interesting note, Acer's quality has gone up dramatically :o.